PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

In a liitle less than a week ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada's #1 Pats Fan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Free Agency starts in a little less than a week. Will the Pats be aggressive in the first few days or will they lay back and scan the 'second tier' free agents? I don't believe they will or can this year given all the news within the last week (ie. Jackson's injury status, Dillon looking for the highest bidder of his services - cough Jets cough).

I am hoping by this time next week we have some receiver in the fold and the beginnings of a re tooling of our LB's.

Comments?

Free Agency starts in a little less than a week. Will the Pats be aggressive in the first few days or will they lay back and scan the 'second tier' free agents? I don't believe they will or can this year given all the news within the last week (ie. Jackson's injury status, Dillon looking for the highest bidder of his services - cough Jets cough).

I am hoping by this time next week we have some receiver in the fold and the beginnings of a re tooling of our LB's.

Comments?
it will probably be two weeks before you get a signing they usaully let things calm down then they strike

Lets try not to fired up when teams like Arizona, Detroit or Cleveland , and even Washington sign tons of players and we do anything yet... Patience, we buy low, sell high.. Oh wait that was trading places.. :D

Comments?

The Jets are gonna make a hard run at Thomas. So, if they add Dillon, that will be a lot on their plate.

I will be quite disappointed if the Pats aren't more agressive in free

agency than the last couple of years. They need some starting players

this time around. Didn't the 32 point second half by the Colts make

an impression on any one? Some forum members think if we re-sign

38 year old Junior Seau, our problems at linebacker will go away. We

have an aging corps of linebackers, one of whom was gutsy enough to

return to football after suffering a minor stroke.

The Pats have not had a real good free agency since they signed

Rodney Harrison, Rosevelt Colvin, and Tyrone Poole in 2003. That year

the Pats did not fritter away the month of March. The fore mentioned

players were signed by the 12th of March.

Last edited:

Comments?

I think it's a myth that the Pats always wait, they usually just don't find value in the high priced free agents.

Might be different this year because of the LB situation. If they're willing to pay, they'll pounce.

It depends. Let's not forget we will not blow cap space like a team like Washington will. If Thomas or some other FA we go for like our price, they will sign, but we will not overpay, even thought I would love first day to have Thomas in the fold for few years.

I think it's a myth that the Pats always wait, they usually just don't find value in the high priced free agents.

Might be different this year because of the LB situation. If they're willing to pay, they'll pounce.

Facts have such an amazing way of getting in the way of opinions.
Of course its a myth.

When BB arrived here, the team was in cap hell.
In 2000 he had to cut players to get under the cap.
In 2001 he had little cap room, and needed a lot of players.
In 2002 there was very little cap room to work with, we were actually over the cap and restructured contacts to be able to sign anyone.
In 2003, we had a moderate amount of cap room and singed Harrison, Colvin, Poole, and used every penny.
In 2004, we traded for Dillon, and had little cap room to sign FAs.
In 2005, we had very little cap room, and held it back for potentially Branch, Law, etc.
This year, we have cap room.
How will we use it. Everyone seems to think we will follow the strategies of 2000-2005, but the landscape is entirely different.
To assume BB with cap room will do what BB did without cap room, and if many years, needing to cut or restructure players just to create cap room, is ignoring the facts.

This does not mean we will be in bidding wars the first day of Free Agency. A key component of our SUCCESSFUL FA strategy over the last 6 years is that BB would be outsold. No player was needed, and so much better than the alternatives that his hand would be forced. (and the alternatives are not the other FAs at a pposition, but ALL of th eother ways touse the same cap space) I am sure that characteristic of his philosophy will come into play. But IMO it is ludicrous to say that great players who carry high price tags are something BB disdains. He has not pursued them often, but he WAS UNABLE TO.
This year the Pats are in the vicinity of having more money than needs, as opposed to never having an off-season where they didn't have more needs than they had money to spend.

If the best use of the money, for THIS team in THIS condition, with the needs they have, the LONG RANGE cap shape they are in, their feeling about the ability of players who could or would be accepting larger roles if the roster stood as it does today, is to attack the top end of the market, he will do it. I cannot say what it will be because I dont know these answers. I do know though that BBs PAST RECORD IN FA AS HC/GM OF NEP, is not predictive of what he will do this year, because he is operating from a tremendously different position.

Lets put it another way:
In 2002, with limited cap space he signed Donald Hayes. That year cap management was tight, especially looking longterm. Had the cap situation been 10mill less that year and every year going forward, there is absolutely no question that BB would have aggressively gone after the best WRs on the FA market, rather than the cheap end, because he had the means to do it. (The only caveat is that instead he may have gone at the high end of the market in a different position or 2, but I think the point is the same)

From my chair, the cap room we have and the FA market that exists says that, yes we will be going after big ticket guys, because the value in the mid-range, and its matchup to our needs doesn't seem good. As I said before though, I do not have enough information to know for sure.

One thing I am certain of is that BB wants the best football players he can get, but realizes he must afford them as well. He will spend to the cap, so the decision is between fewer players at higher prices and more at lower prices. The fact that he did the second in the past under different circumstances, is not relevant to what he will do under these circumstances.

When BB arrived here, the team was in cap hell.
In 2000 he had to cut players to get under the cap.
In 2001 he had little cap room, and needed a lot of players.
In 2002 there was very little cap room to work with, we were actually over the cap and restructured contacts to be able to sign anyone.
In 2003, we had a moderate amount of cap room and singed Harrison, Colvin, Poole, and used every penny.
In 2004, we traded for Dillon, and had little cap room to sign FAs.
In 2005, we had very little cap room, and held it back for potentially Branch, Law, etc.
This year, we have cap room.
How will we use it. Everyone seems to think we will follow the strategies of 2000-2005, but the landscape is entirely different.

The case for being aggressive in free agency is made even stronger by the fact that we will continue to have tons of cap space moving forward.

With Dillon cut, none of our long term contracts are hiding future dead money hits.

The only big money player in our 2008 free agent class is Asante Samuel.

There is very little point in pushing this year's cap space into future years (as we did last year [mostly unintentionally due to Law and Branch]).

The smart move in 2007 is for Belichick to spend aggressively on any player that he (and his amazing front office) thinks is worth the money.

Slightly OT: But did anyone see the 30 Rock from the other night where Jack (Alec Baldwin) is a negotiating bad-ass. It reminded me of the perception of BB.

Last edited:
They have done a lot already by franchising Samuel, he is one of the top 3,4 best FAs. The only position I am curious about is ILB, if they sign a starter at the position the rest of FA can play itself out at a slower pace.

Remaining needs can be addressed during the draft or with some JAGs.

Comments?

The case for being aggressive in free agency is made even stronger by the fact that we will continue to have tons of cap space moving forward.

With Dillon cut, none of our long term contracts are hiding future dead money hits.

The only big money player in our 2008 free agent class is Asante Samuel.

There is very little point in pushing this year's cap space into future years (as we did last year [mostly unintentionally due to Law and Branch]).

The smart move in 2007 is for Belichick to spend aggressively on any player that he (and his amazing front office) thinks is worth the money.

Adalius Thomas....it says so right here.

Adalius Thomas....it says so right here.

My gut reaction is i agree.
However, Adalius Thomas through our eyes and through BBs eyes may be different. (maybe better maybe worse, by the way)

We PROJECT thomas as a Pat with novice knowledge of his exact abilities. We have an impression of his abilities from his play in Bmore. (I wont lump you in this, but personally I do not study opposing players on any team anywhere close to as well as Patriot players, so my opinions of them are much more generic, and much less informed than they are of a Pat player, and therefore my projection of their fit as a Pat is imperfect)

BB KNOWS and has studied Thomas' strengths and weaknesses, and is an EXPERT on how they would fit in our system.
Our level of knowledge: good 3-4 LB with skills.
BBs level of knowledge: he is good at ......... not so good at...... his weaknesses are...... and he knows exactly how they would play out in our system.

Additionally, at 30 years of age, I can take both sides of whether that is a plus or minus to sign to a long term deal. Every player is different and how 30 looks on Thomas, BB is a much better judge than I.

I totally agree that if the consensus on this board of Thomas as a LB and what he would do here matches what BB thinks he will pursue him furiously.
I just think that the knowledge we are able to have compared the knowledge BB does have of any particular player can be very different.
We see the forest, he sees the trees.

When did the Jets become such a great team? They had a best-case scenario season with no injuries playing a last-place schedule. The 2007 Jets are the 2006 Dolphins. **** them and their rag-armed ***** of a QB.

Several newspapers are reporting that the Patriots have agreed to release Dillon when the new league year starts on on March 2nd, and intend to take advantage of a new CBA rule that allows them to amortize his dead money as if he had been cut after June 1st. (i.e. push $2.4M of dead money into 2008.)

If these reports pan out, then it is direct evidence that the Patriots intend to be aggressive players in this year's free agent market. Otherwise, they would stand pat with the ~$25M in cap space they'll start with, and the knowledge that they can tap vast reservoirs of additional cap space by restructuring.

My gut reaction is i agree.
However, Adalius Thomas through our eyes and through BBs eyes may be different. (maybe better maybe worse, by the way)

We PROJECT thomas as a Pat with novice knowledge of his exact abilities. We have an impression of his abilities from his play in Bmore. (I wont lump you in this, but personally I do not study opposing players on any team anywhere close to as well as Patriot players, so my opinions of them are much more generic, and much less informed than they are of a Pat player, and therefore my projection of their fit as a Pat is imperfect)

BB KNOWS and has studied Thomas' strengths and weaknesses, and is an EXPERT on how they would fit in our system.
Our level of knowledge: good 3-4 LB with skills.
BBs level of knowledge: he is good at ......... not so good at...... his weaknesses are...... and he knows exactly how they would play out in our system.

Additionally, at 30 years of age, I can take both sides of whether that is a plus or minus to sign to a long term deal. Every player is different and how 30 looks on Thomas, BB is a much better judge than I.

I totally agree that if the consensus on this board of Thomas as a LB and what he would do here matches what BB thinks he will pursue him furiously.
I just think that the knowledge we are able to have compared the knowledge BB does have of any particular player can be very different.
We see the forest, he sees the trees.

Great post. Patriot fans are along for the ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back