PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Improvement against the run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside I suspect that we are weaker. Green was better than any of his replacements against the run. And there hasn't been any improvement at OLB against the run.

Huh?

I suspect Lewis is going to play at the RDE spot, not at NT. You cannot possibly get any worse than Jarvis Green against the run.

Lewis did a Globe interview where he mentioned talking to other 3-4 ends around the league about playing the position.

That's why he was acquired.

Please stop. He is not a nose tackle, except in the sense that Ty Warren, Wright, Pryor or anyone else could be in a pinch.

The Patriots knew they had to address the right defensive end position at some point during this offseason. They brought in former first round picks Damione Lewis and Gerard Warren with that in mind.

Replacing Jarvis Green with Gerard Warren and Damione Lewis a big-time upgrade for the Patriots

One part of this problem that was not completely addressed is the right defensive end position. The loss of Richard Seymour made the position noticeably weaker against the run. Veterans Gerard Warren and Damione Lewis were signed and will provide some experience, but both have to adjust to the scheme which could take time.
2010 Offseason and Draft Analysis: Did the Patriots Solve Their Problems? - Pats Pulpit

While I agree that we should carry 7 DL's this year, I don't think that the position should come from the offense. We whould be carrying a 3rd tight end.

A fair point. Where would the extra position come from in your opinion?

You were correct that a position would likely need to taken from the offense. A third quarterback needn't be on the 53, of we ahve one at all.

The BOTTOM LINE is that the final four positions could be filled almost anywhere.
================================
MY GUESS OR MY CURRENT PREFERENCE (BEFORE INJURIES)
===========================
DEFENSE - 26

DL 7 (we have carried 6-8 in the past)

OLB 5 (includes a passrusher who can play DE)
ILB 4 (we sometimes carry three)

CB 5 (this is a passing league)
S 4 (including a couple of special teamers)
ST 1 (this could be more, but there are special teamers in the position listings incl WR)
=============================
OFFENSE (24)
QB 2
RB 4
TE 3
WR 6 including a couple who can play teams: perhaps Tate and Aiken (or Slater)
OL 9
================================

Last edited:

I'd say CB. We had six last year, I think Wheatley is gone. If Butler plays well that probably makes Springs expendable. McCourty could take Arrington's role on special teams, although I hope they keep him.

Lewis may indeed be a fine convert to a 3-4 DE. I just don't see it. As I have said, I am 100% fine with Belichick bringing in two talented veterans to replace Green and trying various mixes of the five players to see what works best (with Brace as the bench-warming backup NT).

Whether Lewis and Warren are worse than Green remains to be seen.

Huh?

I suspect Lewis is going to play at the RDE spot, not at NT. You cannot possibly get any worse than Jarvis Green against the run.

Lewis may indeed be a fine convert to a 3-4 DE. I just don't see it. As I have said, I am 100% fine with Belichick bringing in two talented veterans to replace Green and trying various mixes of the five players to see what works best (with Brace as the bench-warming backup NT).

Lewis is not playing the NT spot. He's in New England to play RDE.

Optimistically regarding Brace, if he can make some strides this year and earn some extra snaps, we could potentially use him at the nose and Wilfork at end in certain situations. Obviously 90% of the time that Wilfork is on the field we want him at NT, but like the situation against Jake Long where it made more sense to match him up against the other team's best lineman.

If Lewis is not capable of backing up at NT, this greatly limits his flexibility. Seymour and Green both were backup NT's as needed. We don't want to go into a game forced to have a player active whose only role is backup NT.

If Lewis is here to play RDE and not DT, that's fine. If Belichick wishes to change his approach and start a 6' 2" DE, that fine. I accept his decision. However, we have three veterans on the team who are 6'4" or 6'5". They look more like patriots DE's to me.

As I have indicated a few times, I am fine with using Warren and Lewis in whatever way works best to augment to the skills of Wilfork, Warren and Wright. I'm glad to see them on the team. They move Pryor and Brace to the end of the bench.

Lewis is not playing the NT spot. He's in New England to play RDE.

So you don't see Lewis playing RDE in the 3-4, but you do see him playing NT in this defense?

Interesting perspective.

I don't see Lewis as a starting 3-4 DE. I'd be more than happy to be wrong. Personally, I think that would mean that Lewis would grow 2 inches in the next few months.

I see Lewis as a DT and an emergency NT.

If Brace were not on the team, this would be a critical consideration in who makes the squad. For me, Brace is an unknown with lots of potential.

So you don't see Lewis playing RDE in the 3-4, but you do see him playing NT in this defense?

Interesting perspective.

If Brace were not on the team, this would be a critical consideration in who makes the squad. For me, Brace is an unknown with lots of potential.

Unlike the other first and second players on the Pats, I've seen a lot Brace when he played at BC. At best he's a 2 down space eater. He's not quick and doesn't push pocket (even at the college level). The contrast with Raji (who I think has the potential to another Willfork) was huge. I not saying he's a waste, NT in the 3-4 is so important that you need a quality back up, but I wouldn't expect too much from him.

I seen Mike Riess and others in the media say he's in the mix for RDE, honestly I can't see it. He's painfully slow.

If Lewis is not capable of backing up at NT, this greatly limits his flexibility. Seymour and Green both were backup NT's as needed. We don't want to go into a game forced to have a player active whose only role is backup NT.

Every D-lineman except Wilfork is a backup NT as needed.

If Lewis is here to play RDE and not DT, that's fine. If Belichick wishes to change his approach and start a 6' 2" DE, that fine. I accept his decision. However, we have three veterans on the team who are 6'4" or 6'5". They look more like patriots DE's to me.

He'll play defensive end for the Patriots.
Damione Lewis signed by Patriots | National Football Post

The 6-foot-2, 301-pound Lewis gives the Patriots another run-stuffer to pair with Vince Wilfork on the defensive line. In addition, Lewis will help New England replace defensive end Jarvis Green, who signed with the Denver Broncos.
Report: Patriots Sign Defensive Tackle Damione Lewis - New England Patriots - NESN.com

The question is, will the defensive lineman be a good fit playing defensive end in Bill Belichick’s 3-4 scheme? Can he effectively take over the Jarvis Green role?

“I think I can,” Lewis said last night. “At the end of the day, it’s still football.”
:: Newest Patriot Damione Lewis thinks he’ll fit right in | Damione Lewis |

Seems to me as if DE is on the agenda for the man.

As I have indicated a few times, I am fine with using Warren and Lewis in whatever way works best to augment to the skills of Wilfork, Warren and Wright. I'm glad to see them on the team. They move Pryor and Brace to the end of the bench.

Warren is weak against the run. He's poor enough against the run that the Broncos cut him for failing to handle the run in a new defense, even after they'd given him a big contract the year before. And, given that the Patriots consider run stopping (in the sense of gap control) to be the top priority for the D-line, it will be a negative commentary on the future of any player that Warren beats out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back