PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Important upcoming dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Atlanta Falcons | Schedule | Important Dates

Monday, February 8: Waiver system begins. Teams may begin to release or waive players. (i.e. Thomas)

Thursday, February 11: Teams may begin to assign the franchise tag (i.e. Wilfork) or transition tag to a player. Due to the uncapped year, teams may assign both a franchise and transition player, or two transition players.

Wednesday, February 24 - Tuesday, March 2: NFL Combine.

Thursday, February 25: Deadline for teams to assign franchise/transition tags.

Thursday, March 4: Deadline for teams to extend a qualifying offer to restricted free agents (i.e. Gostkowski, Mankins, Woods, Chris Taylor); if they do not, these players become unrestricted free agents.

Friday, March 5: Beginning of free agent signing period. (i.e. Wilfork, Faulk, Watson, Green, Bodden, Neal, Banta-Cain, Burgess, Hanson)

Friday, March 5: First day teams can make trades. (i.e. Thomas?)

Thursday, April 15: Last day other teams can extend offer sheets to restricted free agents.

Thursday, April 22 - Saturday, April 24: 2010 NFL Draft.

Last edited:
In a no cap year, I don't see the advantage of teams waiving players. It seems that they can wait until the draft, and see if they can get ANYTHING in trade.

The only time I could see it making sense to waive someone is as a favor to the player, or to avoid a paying a roster bonus (see teh trade of Vrabel).

In a no cap year, I don't see the advantage of teams waiving players. It seems that they can wait until the draft, and see if they can get ANYTHING in trade.

The only time I could see it making sense to waive someone is as a favor to the player, or to avoid a paying a roster bonus (see teh trade of Vrabel).

great point, i didnt even think about it
we could probably get more out of a guy like thomas if a team didnt get the OLB they wanted in the 1st

In general I agree, but if the team knows they will not get much of anything in a trade and they know there is no way they are going to keep a player, I can see them waiving the guy to allow them to catch on with another team. I expect the Pats to hold onto Adalius Thomas only that they do not want the Jets to pick him up. They can sign Thomas to whatever contract they want since he would be a cut player and not a regular UFA.

As I said, I could see the team waving a player as a favor to the player. I don't how it helps the TEAM to waive anyone before at least the beginning of minicamp. At that point, there is the risk of injury and an associated obligation on the aprt of the team.

Why would the team do Thomas the favor of waiving him?

In general I agree, but if the team knows they will not get much of anything in a trade and they know there is no way they are going to keep a player, I can see them waiving the guy to allow them to catch on with another team. I expect the Pats to hold onto Adalius Thomas only that they do not want the Jets to pick him up. They can sign Thomas to whatever contract they want since he would be a cut player and not a regular UFA.

So what? They'll have Thomas. Big deal.

Atlanta Falcons | Schedule | Important Dates

Monday, February 8: Waiver system begins. Teams may begin to release or waive players. (i.e. Thomas)

Thursday, February 11: Teams may begin to assign the franchise tag (i.e. Wilfork) or transition tag to a player. Due to the uncapped year, teams may assign both a franchise and transition player, or two transition players.

Wednesday, February 24 - Tuesday, March 2: NFL Combine.

Thursday, February 25: Deadline for teams to assign franchise/transition tags.

Thursday, March 4: Deadline for teams to extend a qualifying offer to restricted free agents (i.e. Gostkowski, Mankins, Woods, Chris Taylor); if they do not, these players become unrestricted free agents.

Friday, March 5: Beginning of free agent signing period. (i.e. Wilfork, Faulk, Watson, Green, Bodden, Neal, Banta-Cain, Burgess, Hanson)

Friday, March 5: First day teams can make trades. (i.e. Thomas?)

Thursday, April 15: Last day other teams can extend offer sheets to restricted free agents.

Thursday, April 22 - Saturday, April 24: 2010 NFL Draft.

Bump. Haven't quite memorized all the dates yet.....

Is there a deadline for a new CBA to be reached? That might be the most important date of all. If nothing happens on that front, there's a possibility of a lockout. And I doubt we'll see any transactions until then either.

the only acquisitions the pats will make are guys who are willing to take one year deals.

its going to be interesting to see how the pats will handle brady who is in a contract year and how much they will guarantee him knowing he may not even play in 2011 and that if they don't play in 2011, he will be 35 when he plays his first game under that contract

or will a healthy year away from the game just make him not want to come back

Is there a deadline for a new CBA to be reached? That might be the most important date of all. If nothing happens on that front, there's a possibility of a lockout. And I doubt we'll see any transactions until then either.

There won't be a lockout until the CBA expires in March 2011.

I'm not sure if there's a deadline for a new CBA to be reached; one would think that if they would have to do it within the next three weeks, before free agency starts (a new CBA would change the FA structure) and teams begin to make decisions based on an uncapped environment. So that seems highly unlikely.

Last edited:
It is my belief that the team will start with renegotiating Brady's contract first, so where in the timeline will this be actualized?

Or can they renegotiate Brady's contract right now? So that they would know if they'd have to franchise Wilfork (in the eventuality a long term contract cannot be worked out, they'd have to do this before 2/25).

Bump up. Wonder if anyone can answer my questions?

Starting on the 8th Brady can be signed to an extension.

Official dates, Patriots offseason

Feb. 11: Teams can franchise or transition players
Feb. 24: Combine begins at Lucas Oil Field in Indianapolis I'll be there! Collecting Autographs ;)
Feb. 25: Franchise/transition deadline
March 2: Combine ends
March 4: Contracts through 2009 season expire
March 5: Free agency begins
March 5: Deadline to prevent uncapped season
March 15: First possible day for offseason workouts
March 21-24: NFL Annual Meeting
April 22: NFL Draft round 1 in New York (starts on a Thursday at 7:30 p.m.)
April 23: NFL Draft rounds 2-3 My Birthday! Please BB, draft me a b-day present! (Or three)
April 24: NFL Draft rounds 4-7
End of April/start of May: Patriots rookie camp
May 24-26: NFL Spring Meeting

Let the madness that is offseason begin! Predictions?

Last edited:
Re: Official Dates, Patriots Offseason

I forgot they changed the draft schedule... I can't decide if I like it or not. Guess I'll judge after it's happened.

Re: Official Dates, Patriots Offseason

Begin dude? I think the madness has already begun on these boards.

One interesting thing that I was wondering had to do with the franchise/transition tag deadlines, and the Uncapped year deadline.

In the uncapped year, teams are allowed a franchise tag and a transition tag. However, how could they apply both if the league year starts on March 5th and it is technically unknown whether or not the year will be uncapped.

As in, how could teams have permission to use both tags if the uncapped year doesn't "start" until March 5th. Will the league allow permission? Does anyone know how this works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes