PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Important Players On Special Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW--on an interesting note, the Competition Committee is (according to the article saying no changes in OT) giving serious thought to banning the three-man wedge on kickoffs. Any thoughts on how this might impact things?

BTW--on an interesting note, the Competition Committee is (according to the article saying no changes in OT) giving serious thought to banning the three-man wedge on kickoffs. Any thoughts on how this might impact things?

Really depends on how it's interpreted for enforcement. If (and I doubt this) they have solid evidence that a certain formation (e.g. 3 man wedge) causes above normal # of injuries, then I'm for trying to adjust the rules to eliminate it. I hate seeing players lost to injury.

Think Ventrone becomes Izzo's replacement as ST captain? Or has a captain been announced?

Was Slater actually good on special teams last year? I don't remember it.

I do remember Ray Ventrone being good, and Mike Wright, and before them Kelley Washington. But the Pats really need a true special-teams ace. Guyton looks like he's not bad, but can he replace Izzo?
Slater was a good Gunner/Gunner Blocker and was the lead blocker that helped keep Ellis Hobbs near the top of the league on KRs. He's a slight step down from Willie Andrews as a Gunner, about the same as a lead blocker. Many people downplay his performance based on the muffed KR in the Pittsburgh game, but I prefer to call that a Coaching error - rookie SoCal kid, limited KR reps in nasty/cold/sloppy conditions, high pressure game - Faulk or Morris or Welker should have been out there if Hobbs couldn't go. As we saw, Slater wasn't ready and I put that one on Seeley. Overall, Slater had a good season.

Features - NFL pro football articles and coverage from Pro Football Weekly
It will vote on eliminating the bunch formation on kickoffs and getting rid of the three-or-more-man wedge on kickoff returns and limiting the wedge to two people.
That's an interesting proposal. I assume there's been too many injuries from collisions between wedge busters and the wedge...

It could change the role of the lead blocker. Picture a blocking formation:

............R

J...B...B-B...B-B...B...J
...............L

..............KR

R = Rover, your top blocker targeting their top coverage man
J = Wing/Gunner Jammers
B = Blocker
B-B = a 'split' "wedge" to 'comply' with the rule
L = the Up return man or Lead Blocker

If the formation was modified to create a couple two man "wedges," the Lead Blocker would be more concerned with finding leakers, rather then identifying the best return lane. KR tend to be more heh diddle diddle straight up the middle than PR which often set up a return to one side. That Lead Blocker is looking for the best lane and trying to throw the key block that gives the KR the crease he needs to hit the afterburners and go, but if he's looking for leakers, he's not leading into the best lane, he's just trying to prevent the return from being disrupted behind the "wedge."

I'd think one option is to treat this similar to a PR, trying to set up a return on one side. Another option is to use more misdirection or trickery. NE used the 3-man wedge under Seeley, the simplest thing is to go with one 2-man "wedge" and send that third man out as a blocker, then just have your Lead Blocker do his lane identification voodoo.

Doesn't Aiken have one of the WR spots locked up? #4 or #5 depending on where you put Lewis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back