PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Important Background on P. Cobbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmessy

Phoenix, AZ/Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has posted this excellent article with insight into what kind of person Patrick Cobbs is. Please let me know if it's been up here already:

The kid DOUBLE MAJORED AND HAD A 3+ GPA. I love how Belioli find these PLAYERS who are EXCEPTIONAL MEN (i.e. Cobbs, J. Sanders, B. Watson, V. Wilfork, etc.). No other team collects such class. When the Pats play the Bengals among other teams it's like two separate universes colliding.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/sports/other/stories/DRC_UNT_Football.1d817c1.html

"****ey (the UNT HC) spoke to his team about Cobbs and what he did for the Mean Green after Saturday morning’s practice.

“I pointed some things out to the players: No. 1 Patrick didn’t miss practice, didn’t miss lifting weights, graduated in four in a half years with two degrees with over a 3.0 GPA, was a national rushing champion, bounced back from a very serious injury to have a great senior year, was an outstanding leader and played on every special team we asked him to,” ****ey said. “He’s an example for every kid out here.”

Last edited:
Wish my admiration for "The other" Patrick wasn't so great and I could appreciate this more, because we all know whose roster spot Cobbs will take if Pass goes to the PUP/is cut outright (doubtful).

Looks like I need a shot of "The other" Cobbs in my Kool-Aid.

Last edited:
Thought he was injured, hurting his draft chances. May not be Curtis Martin, but similar curcumstances.

Not only a great student, a good teammate, but he's also a great RB. I don't know about you guys, but he's a lot more impressive than Reggie Bush thus far... but then again, a lot of other RBs are more impressive than Reggie Bush thus far.

very impressive

pats1 said:
Wish my admiration for "The other" Patrick wasn't so great and I could appreciate this more, because we all know whose roster spot Cobbs will take if Pass goes to the PUP/is cut outright (doubtful).

Looks like I need a shot of "The other" Cobbs in my Kool-Aid.

Fear not, Pats1. God bless the PUP list. By week 6, they will both be on the roster (thanks for everything and best o' luck, Heath!). Mr. Pass kept this team alive last year and he improves each season. He is Mr. Versatility and has persevered in the eyes of the coaching staff who hated him 4 years ago, but now loves this guy who is a real pro also.

The "injury" was actually elective offseason surgery on his foot - - an old chronic college injury that has plagued him his entire pro career. The team gave its blessing for it and believes it could help him improve his game.

Last edited:
Very impressive, indeed. Can't see this guy making it to our PS. We'll need to put him on the roster to keep him. His special team ability may be the deciding factor on making the 53.

Saturday night quite convinced me that this Cobbs will be on the 53 a week from now.
Cannot afford a repeat of Kory Chapman.

But Heath Evans loses the job, not PUPpie Pass.

I guess BB/SP don't feel like going through last year again at RB!!! I'm just really really happy about this draft/non-draft, in Cobbs' case. And yeah, that is the kind of pedigree the Pats love. In Cobbs' case it actually seems to translate to (or at least coexist with) football smarts.

Yikes. Okay what if we're in a position where we put him in because he's third string, to avoid running up the score...?

People are gonna be so pissed this year.

PFnV

Folks, once again, the purpose of starting this thread was to highlight the exceptional person this kid seems to be. Other threads discuss whether or not he makes the team and I hope not to create redundancy.

The type of person that the Patriots have more of than just about any other team in sports is the core reason why I am so proud to be a fan of this team in this era. I've been a Pats fan since 1974, but never before has it seemed like such a morality play.

hobbsownscoles said:
The crazy thing is hes our 2nd best rookie rb

That really is a very unique situation isn't it?I love knowing that the NFL draft since 2000 has been our game to win.Granted not every pick has worked out but for the most part.Great stuff.

shmessy said:
Folks, once again, the purpose of starting this thread was to highlight the exceptional person this kid seems to be. Other threads discuss whether or not he makes the team and I hope not to create redundancy.

I Think Cobbs makes the team hands down

shmessy said:

The type of person that the Patriots have more of than just about any other team in sports is the core reason why I am so proud to be a fan of this team in this era. I've been a Pats fan since 1974, but never before has it seemed like such a morality play.

def agree
plus its good for the kids
as a kid i looked up to these guys
now young patriots fans have great role models to look up to

Wow, there are 32 teams out there and we continue to find guys like this.. a tribute to our organization and its ability to find guys that can play football at this level and also have a high character.

It's not often you find this kind of guy as a UDFA. But there are plenty of examples of UDFAs going on to have great careers. We need to find a way to keep this Cobbs guy. He is something good.

I thought this was interesting. Not only does Cobbs play special teams which adds to his versatility but he was the college national rushing champion in 2003. Looks like his talent runs deep and is the real deal.

I can envision the Pats future backfield now Maroney + Cobbs. Just like thunder and lightning. Thats a young and scary RB combo there. :)

I am on record as feeling that, with 4 TE likely on the roster, that there was "no way" that the Pats would keep 4 RB also. It is fascinating that Cobbs might have shown enough potential that the Pats might feel that they want to protect him for next year enough that they would use an extra roster spot (e.g. instead of 3rd QB). There is still, I think, a high threshhold for that to happen. This is preseason and success may not translate into regular season grinding performance. BB/SP apparently regard RB as a position where decent performance is enough to win superbowls and that in an emergency you can find fill-ins. This year it looks like a possibility that they would be able to carry Pass on PUP and have a 'spare' available thru the middle of the season (altho that could end up being an IR situation). And Cobbs would have to be valued compared to other bubble roster spots. It is probably impossible for us to guess, but he has certainly made it intriguing.

Cobbs likely won't stick

http://www.masslive.com/sports/republican/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/115681560535600.xml&coll=1

Most of the damage done by Cobbs has come against second-team defensive personnel, but he still has shown potential. He feels his strength is his best physical attribute, but his work ethic is his ace in the hole.

"I mean, I've got a lot of stuff to work on," he said. "Don't get me wrong, I had a couple of good runs, but that's everyone doing their jobs. The receivers are out there doing their jobs. Everybody contributed to what I did out there."

The Patriots must cut down to 75 players today, a cut Cobbs probably survives, and to 53 on Saturday. With Corey Dillon, Laurence Maroney and Kevin Faulk topping the depth chart, Cobbs seems likely to land on the practice squad or perhaps on someone else's roster.
-----
Now, Cobbs is trying to grow up - NFL style. He said veterans such as Faulk have been helpful, but, in the end, Cobbs knows it's up to him.

"Everybody has to make their mark in this league," he said. "I'm trying to make mine."
"Everybody doing their jobs," just more confirmation that the scouting program does good legwork.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey