Welcome to PatsFans.com

Impact of the 60's on how we view the world..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Mar 10, 2007.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

It has become apparent the past couple of days that many of us are about the same age, 50's +, except for Harry who is older than dirt. Noticed Fogbuster talking about Nam, Patters and his experience with the antiwar protesters being beaten in NY, Pats13(I think) talking about his experiences.

Personally the late 60's were the defining moment of my life, everything changed with the political assassinations, the civil rights and women's rights movement, the anti war stuff and the grand daddy of them all Viet Nam. i find it interesting that many of us were products of this time, however have so many dissimilar views. While 9-11, may actually be a bigger event, the events of the 60's were more significant in my psyche.

I apologize if I left someone out, but it is not intentional, do not remember everyone's life experience from the posts.. if I did jump in and join this discussion. There is no intent to be inclusive.
  2. taltos

taltos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

In your last sentence did you mean exclusive? I was in college in the late '60's to mid '70's and was a dyed in the wool liberal. It was after I got out on my own that I turned more conservative and after being in the service I was definately on the right wing and still am. By the way, I answered your question on the sailor if you are interested.
  3. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This reminds me of an old phrase... "Show me a 20 year old conservative and I'll show you a man without a heart. Show me a 40 year old liberal and I'll show you a man without a brain."

However I will gladly admit I was well established into being a conservative by age 20 so I guess that leaves me in the "without a heart" category. I was about 14 years old when I realized what a load of bullsh*t liberalism is.
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

I wasn't even born in the 60's. :rocker:

You're all old farts! :p
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -9

Thats why you are loaded with common sense "young man"
    :bricks:
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

One of my first memories was being in the living room with my whole family over for Armstrong's moon landing. We were having a barbecue and everyone was clustered around the Zenith black & white and all of a sudden the grownups all let out a huge cheer, and we kids yelled, too. A man on the moon, cool! I was 6.

Life was so simple then for a 6 year-old. The future was so much brighter that afternoon, despite the Viet Nam conflict, civil rights protesters, all the stuff going on then. At least we were on our way to outer space like the Jetsons and Star Trek. We all thought we would be living the pampered life of robot servants and teleportation. What the hell happenned? What happenned to the Age of Aquarius? Race relations got better in the 70's but have gotten worse since. Multi-culturalism has replaced racial unity and harmony and that has ruined everything.

I was raised as a Kennedy liberal becamed disillusioned with that when I began paying taxes. The more I learned about the government, the less confident I became about its ability to do anything well or right. When I travelled, I found out that there were other people in the world besides Americans and they were actually content with being Irish, Icelanders, Spaniards and Costa Ricans. They all thought the moon landing was the coolest thing ever, though.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2007