Welcome to PatsFans.com

Immigrants vs American Kids

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWickedPissah, Mar 8, 2006.

1. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,720 / 19 / -12

Disable Jersey

Interesting observations about the relative slacker and entitlement attitude of middle and upper class American kids vs hard working immigrant students and Asians. Similar to my observation that the problem with schools is NOT money, it's bad family cultural attitudes such as negative support for learning in inner city communities of color and an entitlement, we'll sue attitude of suburban upper middle class parents that dilutes grade meaning and prevents discipline.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2006-03-07-forum-students_x.htm

2. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

There's definately some of that, but allow me to contribute my immigrant opinion. Moving your whole life to another country is very difficult. You give up your job, your friends, and any advantage you had of knowing the culture and go into the unknown. Not many people can face all that and still put in the hard work, then have the follow through to immigrate. The ones that do it are the particularly hard-working people and families, they usually end up getting ahead. It's sort of a natural-selection process.

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +668 / 2 / -9

We have an Iranian Immigrant Muslim who last week tried to pull off his own little 9/11 with his car, he tried to kill the "dirty americans" by running them over on a college campus. He later said he wanted to punish America for the way Muslims are treated around the world. He smiled and laughed as he was being led away.

The day after he was locked up there were several Blubbering B@stard Liberals and some Whack Job Defense Attorneys on TV whining that this Smelly Dogs bail was to high.

There are plenty more where this "Terrorist Muslim" came from, right here in America, they have infested our colleges and they hide in their Mosques.

YALE University has a member of the Taliban attending the school but they won't allow a US Military Recruiter to even walk on their lawn.

4. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

As much as you love to attack immigrants, this thread is about why immigrants, in particular children, are (or are perceived to be) harder working than Americans. If you get confused easily, forget Muslims for the sake of this discussion, because immigrants come from all over the world

5. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +668 / 2 / -9

CERTAIN IMMIGRANTS work harder, if I say more the RACIST crap will start again.

It's hard sometime to forget "Muslims" it is the Terrorist Members of their Religion that are trying to Slaughter Us, it was Muslims that danced in the streets on 9/11 not Presbytarians.

6. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I understand what you're saying, with all the crap going on right now it IS hard to think of much else, but aside from the word "immigrant" this is an unrelated conversation. It would be like talking about how the Patriots did last season and you come out with "Muslims are ruining this country" out of left field.

7. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I read that piece today and agree with it.

Until the kids/parents take some accountability for their performance, all the standards, money and high teacher expectations wont mean jack. And citizens from other nations will start lapping us in the job market.

But whatever, lets continue to throw money at the problem and blame the teachers.

8. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Everything you said is applicable to here as well. I see so many lazy white people complaining because "they took our jobs". Well, many of them filled vacancies that no one else wanted to do and others beat you through hard work. Others set up their own businesses.
    One of the biggest whiners I know has a heart problem which will eventually kill her. She is English through and through. She has admitted that she could work but acts as if society owes her a favour. To be honest, I make no distinction between her and a foreign born person who "plays the system". I'd keep the hard working immigrant over the lazy English person every single time.
    I agree 100% that people need to take more responsibility for their lives. It's the difference between people who see the BS call on Asante for PI (which it was!) in the Denver playoff game and those who remember that it was Faulk's fumble which set up that play.

9. PatsWickedPissah

Ratings:
    +1,720 / 19 / -12

Disable Jersey

I think that one thing we can see is that immigration CAN be a positive force in renewing a society's vigor. Obviously there are some down sides but that's been well discussed in other threads. What's sad is that some cultures have markedly more success than others as immigrants with Asians as a broad example. I do not see it as a biological superiority, although that is possible however unlikely, but as a cultural advantage. Meanwhile, relatively well off American kids can be slackers with an entitlement "I'll sue" mentality and urban black American kids have a culture that says don't bother to try. In a better world, we'd take constructive actions to counter those destructive memes.

10. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

HB notwithstanding, this is a good thread with interesting points all around. Thanks

11. Turd Furguson

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There are segments within certain cultures in this country that actually looks down on going the straight and narrow path and placing a value on one's education.

12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

You mean like the Irish and Italians when they first got here? Man, were they dirtbags! Gangs, lived three families in 1 apartment, organized crime like running booze and heroin, prostitution. Man, I hate those immigrants!

13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +668 / 2 / -9

Did Robert Kennedy violate the Civil Liberties of the Mafia, where were the "Batty Liberals" when Kennedy and the Justice Dept were discriminating against the "Cosa Nostra" boys.

Liberals would like to see their president and Jesus go to the Gas Chamber but they support slippery crooked weasles like Koffi Annan.

Why do the hard far left liberals always seem to support America's enemies?

14. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I see it all the time in the construction business. White American kids with no skills, tools, work ethic, or stamina come in looking for $15.00 / hr. Then they start asking for time off after 2 weeks and get pissed when you fire them, then you get a notice from unemployment saying they're trying to collect! An immigrant kid will take $8 to start and will be making $13 within 6 months I'll pay him $17 within a year just to keep him or her (yes, her).

There are some Americans who still get it, but most don't. There is no competetiveness in these kids, and I feel sorry for them because we did it to them by spoiling them and taking away their childhood by hovering over them and controlling every move they make because we don't want anything bad to happen to them. It's gonna get worse.

15. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

That sums it up really well. I just re-read the article. I was struck by the teacher saying that middle class parents accused her of ruining their kids' future. Nope. I grew up in a middle class household (Mum was a well-paid Doctor, Dad in computers). I went to a private school. If I got poor grades, I rightly got my arse kicked, not the teacher. I think the difference was that both of my parents came from working-class backgrounds. It is noticeable how obsessed people are becoming with their rights, not responsibilities. People blame public transport for making them late for a 9am interview. To me, unless you have a stupidly hectic schedule (I'd accept someone being a single parent as a mitigating factor) or have been unavoidably held up by a real emergency, that's YOUR fault for poor planning. Equally, I find it amusing that people blame banks for their debts. Unless you are vulnerable (have literacy problems, a learning disability, severe mental health issues etc) or were mis-sold a product, then why is that the bank's fault? Granted, I am highly fortunate to have been privately educated, but at some point, one has to think: I spent the money, not the bank. I bought the CD I didn't need, I went to the cinema, upgraded my broadband, bought a Brady jersey for my niece (OK, that's an essential purchase)..............

16. PatsWickedPissah

Ratings:
    +1,720 / 19 / -12

Disable Jersey

Yo G, you've now explained much about many of the posts here. Cheerios! (sic)

17. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

:D, very good!

"Yo G". Have you been spending too much time with the youngsters again? It's "Da Cat" to you, my brother P. Anyway, the current greeting, is "happen" or "wad'appen" (as in "hi, what's happening in your life?", demonstrating rather well our point about falling educational standards), replete with clenched fist to clenched fist. Unlike the good old days, these things are instantly transferable across the Atlantic. MTV and the Interweb thingy have a lot to answer for, giving lunatics with usernames of ex-pets the right to spout nonsense about silly, foreign sports and someone else's politics. God, people have even started saying, "anyways", "it sucks", "hey" and "right now". Send in the Redcoats.

18. Turd Furguson

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm not talking about the immigrants. They are kicking our butts and good for them. I'm more P.O'd at OUR OWN PEOPLE for taking such a lazy attitude combined with a feeling of entitlement.

I love the fact that these immigrants who come here legally are busting their behinds trying to make a better life for themselves. If only more of us took their work ethic to heart.

19. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I totally agree.