Welcome to PatsFans.com

Immigrants Sue Over Citizenship Delays

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Pujo, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +445 / 11 / -14

We have done a couple of overseas adoptions. The goverment is awfully slow in processing this stuff. It is just the nature of the bureauracy. One naturalization was done during the reagan administration and one during the Clinton administration, this isn't a partisan issue just a bureaucratic one.

3. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I agree, I didn't mean this is just how the Bush administration treats immigrants. Years ago (when Clinton was still in office) I needed a passport to travel. Since I was a citizen by derivative rights (I got citizenship by blood when my parents were naturalized because I was a minor when it happened), I did not have a certificate of naturalization. I was able to either apply for the passport by first getting a certificate of citizenship from the INS (just a document to say that yes, I'm a citizen and have been for years) or by sending about 10 other documents directly to the State Dept's passport office. Turns out the wait to get the certificate of citizenship was 2 YEARS. For someone who's ALREADY a citizen. Luckily I got my other documents together and was given a passport, which means I'll never need the certificate of citizenship.

4. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The immigration system is this country is ridiculously messed up. It rewards the people who violate the law and punishes those who play by the rules. I have an uncle that married a Romanian girl about 5 years ago and it was the biggest pain in the behind to get everything done legal and proper. And this uncle is a reasonably wealthy man with a lot of contacts and connections.