Imagine This Group on 3rd Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Or on 2nd and long :

Warren, Wilfork and Seymour on the DL, of course.

With a LB group of :

Lawson, Vrabel, Bruschi, Colvin at LB. For the love of God, I can't even imagine that. As much as I don't like trading up, if we could trade a #3 to get to 16 or so, or even better 15 so we could sign Lawson to an extra year, I would do it. The only downside is I'd hear Tanguay and ****erson talking about Manny and think they were talking about the Patriots only to find out they are talking about the other Manny.

Seriously, draft a TJ clone later so that on early downs we could have Vrabel, draftee, Bruschi, Colvin then on passing downs have that sick group above.

The extra bonuses are :

- Lawson has the growth potential to get to 260+ and be the next McGinest.
- Lawson blocked 6 kicks in college.
- Drafting a TJ clone would get Bruschi back to his old ILB position and be more of a playmaker.

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:
Or on 2nd and long :

With a LB group of :

Lawson, Vrabel, Bruschi, Colvin at LB. For the love of God, I can't even imagine that. As much as I don't like trading up, if we could trade a #3 to get to 16 or so, or even better 15 so we could sign Lawson to an extra year, I would do it. The only downside is I'd hear Tanguay and ****erson talking about Manny and think they were talking about the Patriots only to find out they are talking about the other Manny.

Seriously, draft a TJ clone later so that on early downs we could have Vrabel, draftee, Bruschi, Colvin then on passing downs have that sick group above.

The extra bonuses are :

- Drafting a TJ clone would get Bruschi back to his old ILB position and be more of a playmaker.
You still have Claridge with a year under his belt, but what do you think of someone like Schlegel from OSU?

SeanBruschi54 said:
You still have Claridge with a year under his belt, but what do you think of someone like Schlegel from OSU?
Right, a guy lke Claridge could be the guy to play TJ's role, we just need someone who can do it whether it's Claridge or a draft choice.

Schlegel ? I like him. And a lot of other 2 down LB in the draft. There's about 6-10 who are second day picks, I really hope we pick out the one we like and stick him in the middle with Tedy on run downs. When some people say that Carpenter doesn't have great instincts and Schlegel made him look better with his pre-snap calls, instead of taking that as a huge negative against Carpenter, it's an interesting positive for Schlegal.

BelichickFan said:
Seriously, draft a TJ clone later so that on early downs we could have Vrabel, draftee, Bruschi, Colvin then on passing downs have that sick group above..
I think if I drafted a guy #16 or #17, I'd like a guy who will be on the field more than just for obvious passing downs.

spacecrime said:
I think if I drafted a guy #16 or #17, I'd like a guy who will be on the field more than just for obvious passing downs.
So would I and Lawson would likely grow into that. But he's just a little light for full time play in our defense right now. Still, he's a way more explosive athlete than someone like Carpenter who could play a little more full time.

BelichickFan said:
Or on 2nd and long :

With a LB group of :

The extra bonuses are :

Bruschi hasnt changed postions

AndyJohnson said:

Yes he did. He went from SILB to WILB. As a SILB he gets more coverage and chucking responsibilities, a as well as more blitz opportunities, WILB is more the stay home stop the run, TJ run down position.

Bruschi's game is more the former than the latter.

PFW weekly loves ILB OLiver Hoyte as the next Ted J type. Says he might be available in the third of fourth which would be an absolute steal.

AzPatsFan said:
Yes he did. He went from SILB to WILB. As a SILB he gets more coverage and chucking responsibilities, a as well as more blitz opportunities, WILB is more the stay home stop the run, TJ run down position.

Bruschi's game is more the former than the latter.
He did a fine job playing Ted Johnson but I did think it limited his big plays.

I like Kai Parham later in the draft to be groomed as the TJ replacement. He's a big, hard hitter who played ILB in a 3-4 scheme in college. He's fallen way down in the draft due to his slow 40 time at the combine, but he plays much faster, and speed isn't as important for a 3-4 ILB as it is for a 4-3 MLB.

BelichickFan said:
Or on 2nd and long :

With a LB group of :

Lawson, Vrabel, Bruschi, Colvin at LB.

That looks like a very intimidating defense, however I hate to spoil the party, but at least one of those guys will get injured and be out for a long period of time. We'll still have an above average defense; nevertheless anyone can see the drop-off whenever the likes of Beisel and Mike Wright fill in.

Seymour93 said:
I hate to spoil the party, but at least one of those guys will get injured and be out for a long period of time. We'll still have an above average defense; nevertheless anyone can see the drop-off whenever the likes of Beisel and Mike Wright fill in.
Believe it or not, and I know it's difficult to, some teams actually do make it though seasons without being decimated and maybe it'll be our turn this year :D

BelichickFan said:
Believe it or not, and I know it's difficult to, some teams actually do make it though seasons without being decimated and maybe it'll be our turn this year :D

flyingpig-753622.jpg

AndyJohnson said:
Andy-
Bruschi actually did change positions. He said so himself. He took over playing TJ's spot and Vrabel was playing his. In terms of assignments and responsibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back