PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Imagine this D with Mayo back in the mix...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our run defense has largely been a positive and, without a 50 yard run that was a result of someone being in the wrong place for one play, would have been a positive again yesterday. Mayo returning will help our pass defense more than our run defense. The pass D still gave up too many yards through the air yesterday. It bailed itself out once with the clutch pick by Bodden to end the first half. It GOT bailed out with Clayton dropping a catch that was right between the numbers. If he had caught that, I'm convinced we would have lost the game.

Still though, our pass defense is almost lightyears better than what it was a season ago.

I was in a positive mindset in the game thread about the game and the D, but I think we probably woulda lost too, had the ball been caught. Flacco was not flaccid but was on fire.

The 2009 pass D is a work in progress with all the 2nd yr players and newbie FAs. Communication and reacting in the proper way without taking the time to think is key. I look for these things to happen as the D matures. Seeing Merriweather hit his probowl grouve and #28 play CB with that physical talent gets me "jacked & pumped".

Folks in preseason lamenting the passrush must have enjoyed yesterdays constant pressure on a very good QB.

Gotta admit that I am surprised at how good these young pups are playing on defense. Great upside and promise as the season moves forward.

And I am pumped imagining how things might go once Mayo put the helmet back on. About the only thing that gets my imagination going more is if the Pats somehow managed to find a way to trade for Peppers. :p

Our run defense has largely been a positive and, without a 50 yard run that was a result of someone being in the wrong place for one play, would have been a positive again yesterday. Mayo returning will help our pass defense more than our run defense. The pass D still gave up too many yards through the air yesterday. It bailed itself out once with the clutch pick by Bodden to end the first half. It GOT bailed out with Clayton dropping a catch that was right between the numbers. If he had caught that, I'm convinced we would have lost the game.

Still though, our pass defense is almost lightyears better than what it was a season ago.

Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong but that 50yard run was missed tackle on Sanders. He had clear shot at him and just missed the RB. I think Sanders is solid but...he can be upgradable. I'm hoping Chung would grow up fast because from what I've seen during preseason, one thing he does well was wrapping people up and finishing tackles.

Someone very wise (no, not me) mentioned that Mayo being out could have a very positive long-term impact on the D. I honestly can't remember who said that, but clearly that person is almost as smart as patchick.

No one is "almost as smart as Patchick".

How good did Butler look as well - I expect him to be starting come December

Seriously if we can keep Bodden next year we'll have 2 really good corners in Butler and Bodden and very solid backup

We have McGowan who has exceeded all expectations and Chung to come on next season

Guyton is getting better and better and when he goes back to playing alongside Mayo those two could be scary good

Then you have Wright playing lights out and Pryor playing as well as his with Brace still learning the ropes

Next year this D could be Baltimore-esque

How good did Butler look as well - I expect him to be starting come December

Seriously if we can keep Bodden next year we'll have 2 really good corners in Butler and Bodden and very solid backup

We have McGowan who has exceeded all expectations and Chung to come on next season

Guyton is getting better and better and when he goes back to playing alongside Mayo those two could be scary good

Then you have Wright playing lights out and Pryor playing as well as his with Brace still learning the ropes

Next year this D could be Baltimore-esque

...and then add a first round and 3 (three!!!) second round draft picks to the mix to keep the monster growing.

Wait- what was that sound? Oh- something about peyton and "a brick" !!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back