PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Imagine this D with Mayo back in the mix...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holy Diver

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I'll freely admit that these guys are playing well. I can't wait to see the ballhawking stepped up when we get 51 back. The secondary play has been as advertised. The D-line is grinding out pocket territory and disrputing throws. The linebackers have each stepped up thir games. Three things...

1. Stop the dumb encroachment BS, we are better than that.
2. Get Mayo back
3. Look out

I'll freely admit that these guys are playing well. I can't wait to see the ballhawking stepped up when we get 51 back. The secondary play has been as advertised. The D-line is grinding out pocket territory and disrputing throws. The linebackers have each stepped up thir games. Three things...

1. Stop the dumb encroachment BS, we are better than that.
2. Get Mayo back
3. Look out
To be frank and upfront.. it's give me a forests worth of wood.

I was hoping for 4-3 at the bye and then getting Mayo back for the second half. The whole mindset was to just be in contention at the bye.

Now anything less than 5-2 would be a shock, and 6-1 (if the Pats beat Denver next week) is very doable.

The other thing that was very interesting was the different pressure packages and looks with more guys being brought on the blitz. I thought the secondary held up well when they rushed extra guys.

And like many fans, I used to love the higher risk and more aggressive D of the Carroll era Pats, no matter how much one must recognize that our best defenses have been "bend but don't break". With the changes in the NFL this year and the effectiveness of things like the Jets' blitz packages, could this game herald the arrival of a new more aggressive philosophy for our younger and faster D?

Hopefully our run defense will tighten up a tad as well.

Imagine this D with Mayo back in the mix...

i can't wait. they finally let the d loose today.

I was hoping for 4-3 at the bye and then getting Mayo back for the second half. The whole mindset was to just be in contention at the bye.

Now anything less than 5-2 would be a shock, and 6-1 (if the Pats beat Denver next week) is very doable.

The interesting thing is, that going into the season many thought that the Pats would be around 5-2 at the bye week because of inexperience on defense, with our offense having to carry us. Meanwhile, we're averaging 22 PPG on offense, Brady is still coming into form, Welker has missed 2 games, we haven't developed a third WR, we lost our defensive captain and best player in the first quarter of the first game, and we have been dinged up. And we may well end up 6-1 at the bye, assuming no letdown.

Best player? Maybe. Wilfork has been a total beast this year, and Meriweather is tearing it up. Ty Warren hasn't been a slouch either.

Last edited:
The interesting thing is, that going into the season many thought that the Pats would be around 5-2 at the bye week because of inexperience on defense, with our offense having to carry us. Meanwhile, we're averaging 22 PPG on offense, Brady is still coming into form, Welker has missed 2 games, we haven't developed a third WR, we lost our defensive captain and best player in the first quarter of the first game, and we have been dinged up. And we may well end up 6-1 at the bye, assuming no letdown.

Let me put this post in other words: BB is a freakin' genius.

The other thing that was very interesting was the different pressure packages and looks with more guys being brought on the blitz. I thought the secondary held up well when they rushed extra guys.

And like many fans, I used to love the higher risk and more aggressive D of the Carroll era Pats, no matter how much one must recognize that our best defenses have been "bend but don't break". With the changes in the NFL this year and the effectiveness of things like the Jets' blitz packages, could this game herald the arrival of a new more aggressive philosophy for our younger and faster D?

Sir, I have not seen a semi-positive reference to Carroll on this board in all of the years I have been here. Kudos to you! Or not! I'm too confused to know.

It's amazing. But it's typical Patriots football, grind it out and find a way to win. One game at a time, defy expectations, win close games with some big plays, and have guys step up for injuries (Guyton has really been impressive).

I'm really excited that our re-built defense is starting to make plays. Pees has gotten a lot of criticism for his play-calling, but people forget how many new parts there were to to this defense. It looks like the training wheels are starting to come off, and just wait until Mayo is back.

That's it in a nutshell. This was supposed to be a team that would gel around midseason, as the multitude of new parts learned to work together and Brady got back into stride -- and that was assuming Seymour & Mayo in the front 7.

3-1 and already starting to come together is fantastic. And in the long run, Guyton's baptism under fire should be invaluable to him. We're now looking at a pair of exceptionally athletic young ILBs with experience and versatility in different roles.

That's it in a nutshell. This was supposed to be a team that would gel around midseason, as the multitude of new parts learned to work together and Brady got back into stride -- and that was assuming Seymour & Mayo in the front 7.

3-1 and already starting to come together is fantastic. And in the long run, Guyton's baptism under fire should be invaluable to him. We're now looking at a pair of exceptionally athletic young ILBs with experience and versatility in different roles.

Someone very wise (no, not me) mentioned that Mayo being out could have a very positive long-term impact on the D. I honestly can't remember who said that, but clearly that person is almost as smart as patchick.

D is coming together amazingly, but I'm still glad we don't face the Saints for a while.

Dominating is how I imagine it. I was one who thought this D was going to be good this year but I didn't imagine them having to do it without Mayo so now it is real easy to imagine how good they can be when Mayo gets back in the fold....and Seau too. in the matter of a few weeks our biggest problem on D will be shored up LB depth.

Hopefully our run defense will tighten up a tad as well.

Our run defense has largely been a positive and, without a 50 yard run that was a result of someone being in the wrong place for one play, would have been a positive again yesterday. Mayo returning will help our pass defense more than our run defense. The pass D still gave up too many yards through the air yesterday. It bailed itself out once with the clutch pick by Bodden to end the first half. It GOT bailed out with Clayton dropping a catch that was right between the numbers. If he had caught that, I'm convinced we would have lost the game.

Still though, our pass defense is almost lightyears better than what it was a season ago.

Someone very wise (no, not me) mentioned that Mayo being out could have a very positive long-term impact on the D. I honestly can't remember who said that, but clearly that person is almost as smart as patchick.

Thank you. Thank you very much!

However, on my best day, I'm not nearly as prescient as Patchick!

Last edited:
(Guyton has really been impressive)

This has been what has surprised me the most... I thought Guyton would be OK, maybe "good" and that Mayo would totally take care of the whole situation. BUT - this guy, wow... undrafted, unloved, BANG - calling the plays on a veteran D. Very impressive, in my opinion. We'll see, but the D is good... much better than it has been (probably since the departure of T. Johson & Willie).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots