PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Imagine if the Chargers Still Had ...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The Offensive MVP of this year,Drew Brees - I was just thinking of what your thoughts were of how the Chargers would be today if Brees was still their QB?

The Chargers went 14-2 with a new QB that sat on the sidelines for 2+ years and they still won 14 games - With Brees may they have gone undefeated in the regular season or do you think worse?

I can't say they would have been worse as Brees is still a better QB,But just imagine if they still had Drew,may they have lost those 2 games they lost?.. Scary

You gotta wonder did the back injury to Brees help or hurt the Chargers? to me thats a tough call. - If Brees is succeeding with a 7th round draft WR and a 1st RD Rookie RB - Imagine what his stats would be with Tomlinson and Gates?

If they had Brees I would crown them already.

Brees is in a different system. I highly doubt he would have been the same as he is on the Saints if he were still a Charger.

Whether the Chargers go all the way or not this year - You wonder if the 1972 Dolphins were aided by the injury to Brees last year which made the trip for Drew to be sent to N.O. easier than it was going to be.

I say they would have had a legitimate chance to have gone undefeated..If Brees had stayed and Merrimen had not done the steroids thing...Just think Merrimen had 8 sacks in the 5 games after he came back..If he played all year what would he have had,like 22 sacks?

The Offensive MVP of this year,Drew Brees - I was just thinking of what your thoughts were of how the Chargers would be today if Brees was still their QB?

The Chargers went 14-2 with a new QB that sat on the sidelines for 2+ years and they still won 14 games - With Brees may they have gone undefeated in the regular season or do you think worse?

I can't say they would have been worse as Brees is still a better QB,But just imagine if they still had Drew,may they have lost those 2 games they lost?.. Scary

You gotta wonder did the back injury to Brees help or hurt the Chargers? to me thats a tough call. - If Brees is succeeding with a 7th round draft WR and a 1st RD Rookie RB - Imagine what his stats would be with Tomlinson and Gates?

Make sure you revisit this thread after Sunday.
...to be continued...

Make sure you revisit this thread after Sunday.
...to be continued...

Why?,When Rivers screws up and you have to retract everything positive about your Chargers? - You will WISH Drew was still there.

Kinda hard to play the undefeated card.....

They had Brees for two good years and they went 12-4 and then 9-7 last year but I guess its possible.

=========================================================

They would probaly be marginaly better with Brees this year, but not next year, Rivers is getting high 1st round pick money, it was get rid of Brees or get rid of Rivers. Add in that Brees injured his rotator cuff (ala Penington) and never had a rocket to begin with and is only 6'2".

Do not underestimate the quality of talent Brees has around him this year in NO.

I disagree.

The one thing Drew was never able to do was come from behind in the 4th quarter for us, and he still hasn't proven he can do that with the Saints. Drew is very good at snowballing momentum to build up a big lead but he's generally not good at handling adversity on the field, and he never played well late in tight games.

He and Rivers are opposites. Drew was a quick starter and poor finisher, Rivers tends to be a poor starter and strong finisher. Why do you think we lost so many games in the 4th quarter last year?

Last edited:
Why do you think we lost so many games in the 4th quarter last year?

Beats me. I find the dynamics of AFC West divisional games totally inscrutible.

I'm sure that Charger fans probably have a hard time figuring out the AFC East divisional games in the same way.

Rivers > Brees

Brees does not have the mental toughness to make the plays when the pressure is on late in a game. Rivers has proven that he does as shown by the fact he is the highest rated passer in the league in 4th quarter performance.

Last edited:
Makes no difference.. Instead of hearing "oh, and Brees beats the Patriots defenders and find Parker wide open in the endzone" you'll be hearing "oh, and Rivers beats the Patriots defenders and finds Parker wide open in the endzone."

Doesn't really bother me, to be honest.

There's a reason why LT is having the best year of his career this season, because Drew isn't there. With Drew you could see the run coming a mile away. There's no doubt in my mind the Chargers would have lost several close games if Drew was still there.

Kinda hard to play the undefeated card.....

They had Brees for two good years and they went 12-4 and then 9-7 last year but I guess its possible.

with rivers they went 14-2, and lost those 2 games by a total of 6 points. in one loss their kicker missed a FG and the holder botched another (loss by 3 to the ravens). against the chiefs they lost by 3 in arrowhead after rivers led a major comeback. (kc jumped ahead capitalizing on a ladanian fumble.. how often does that happen?).

this 2006 chargers team almost went undefeated.. closer than they were with drew (although if you look at their scores the chargers are RARELY blown out, most losses are within one score).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye