PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm worried about the 49ers

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBC is fine as a pass rusher, he's just not a very good LB. Why else did Belichick have to go and get Seau out of retirement and then only crawl back to TBC when Seau got hurt :D

After the debacle that was TBC versus the Chargers, I don't think he even started versus the Colts. Didn't Alexander start ahead of him?

I had no problems with TBC until I saw what SF dished out for him. He had a few big plays, but was mediocre at best and ultimately exposed our greatest weakness against the Colts. $8.7 million for 3 years including a 2.9 million signing bonus is why I laugh, of course SF is still approx. 10 million under the cap.

Eh, I'll pay for pass rushers. We needed more pass rush. Not that I really care how much we pay for guys when we have so much cap room.

Eh, I'll pay for pass rushers. We needed more pass rush. Not that I really care how much we pay for guys when we have so much cap room.
I don't know what the contract situation is with Gore or Smith, but when the 49ers are beginning to mature in 2-3 years, you'll need to pay them. I hope your FO is planning on that.

I don't know what the contract situation is with Gore or Smith, but when the 49ers are beginning to mature in 2-3 years, you'll need to pay them. I hope your FO is planning on that.

Gore was just re-signed this offseason and they're but signed here through 2010. Our FO has generally structured contracts pretty well since they've been here and have been active signing players too extensions early on and so forth.

http://www.ninercaphell.com/player/21

http://www.ninercaphell.com/player/63

A couple things regarding the 49ers and the coming season:

- They lost their Offensive Coordinator from last season, Norv Turner, who was excellent at working with young QBs. This gap must be filled and it won't be easy.

- They have a more difficult schedule than last season.

That being said, the Pats would do well to get a first round pick from #12 through #20. It is not unreasonable to project a record window of 6-10 to 9-7 for SF to land in the #12 - #22 range. Given the value a player brings, the ideal would be to get the 49ers pick in the mid teens. With a pick in the top ten, the long-term salary cap hit becomes a burden, and it's very difficult to trade under certain circumstances. However, a first rounder in the teens gives the Pats the capability of going after an impact player who won't saddle the team with a big cap number. A win/win.

I see where TBC tipped the scales "in the 290 range" for mini camp. There's a guy with his eyes on the prize, striving to make that all-important favorable first impression with his new employer!

The 9ers have added talent at a number of positions this off season, it is true, but quite apart from big Norv leaving, they have yet to see if the pieces mesh, and how the chemistry manifests itself.

Also, as victims of their own "success", they do have that schedule to contend with.

And as good as Willis is, unless he's the second coming of Lawrence Taylor, or the reincarnation of Ray Nietchze, he'll find out very quickly he's a rookie, and we all know what that translates to.

So I agree with the guys, more or less, who say anything from 4 - 12 to 10 - 6 is possible, but to hit the upper end of that range, any number of things must break SF's way, and I don't see that happening on a big scale.

A few people have highlighted the loss of Norv Turner, which I think will be huge as Turner seemed to make a big impact on Smith who could have a down turn this year after improving to mediocre at the end of last season. Vernon Davis still has to prove he is the big time talent that people are making him out to be. Darrel Jackson was inconsistent and had a lot of drops in Seattle recently, and Ashley Lelie has had plenty of chances I see no reason he would suddenly flourish in SF.

Of the big FA signings they made, only one looks like it may have been smart (Clements) although it was costly. Philly let Michael Lewis go for a reason, he is mediocre at best and is a liability in coverage. We know TBC is a situational pass rusher not a full time player, and now with the reports of him clocking in at 290 you have to wonder how fast he could possibly be at this point.

Of course these guys are replacing some pretty bad players so there's really no where for them to go but up. The additions of Willis and Staley should make an impact as well. The NFC is terrible but their division has a lot of potential, it will be interesting to see how things shape up. Like others have said I'm expecting something between 12 and 20, but hoping for better. If Frank Gore goes down for any period of time that team is in big trouble.

Last edited:
they have as good a chance as anyone to win the division, I think they will be 18 to 24

And as good as Willis is, unless he's the second coming of Lawrence Taylor, or the reincarnation of Ray Nietchze, he'll find out very quickly he's a rookie, and we all know what that translates to.
That's a gross example. Rookies can be effective without emulating hall of famers.

Of the big FA signings they made, only one looks like it may have been smart (Clements) although it was costly. Philly let Michael Lewis go for a reason, he is mediocre at best and is a liability in coverage.
Michael Lewis was a very intelligent signing. He was signed to tackle and hit, something that's been few and far between in SF in a decade. Good coverage from the SS position is more a bonus than anything IMO. It's a position directed toward run support and hitting.

I would say a large reason for letting Lewis go by Philly was making a scape-goat out of the convenient player. Michael Lewis really shouldn't be in deep coverage situations as much as he was last year.

49ers will make the playoffs in the abysmal NFC. Count on a pick in the high 20's.

IMO, no way. 8-8 at best. I believe the pick will be somewhere in the top half.

It was the 28th overall that we traded. There's very little chance they make it to the conference finals & therefore the pick will be no worse then 28th next year.

Whoops. Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I can't recall what I was thinking at the time that I wrote this. But I would like to think I meant its possible that we may not be picking any higher than we did this year (24th). :D

They are heading in the right direction but still have a ways to go. I expect them to be around 8-8 with the Patriots getting a pick around 14-18.

SF defense was terrible last year, worst in the NFL (25.8 PPG)
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/b...sort=530&old_category=Total&old_group=Offense

And their offense wasn't much better (18.8 PPG)
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/b...sort=530&old_category=Total&old_group=Offense

The did add a lot of young players and having Vernon Davis will help but I think Arizona & St. Louis will be a little better, Seattle will take a step back unless Hasselbeck & Alexander return to health.

A two second look at their schedule and I come up with 7-9, should be a much better pick than the #24 we got this year from Seattle.

Week Date Opponent Time/Result Buy Tickets TV
1 Mon, Sep 10 Arizona W
2 Sun, Sep 16 at St. Louis L
3 Sun, Sep 23 at Pittsburgh L
4 Sun, Sep 30 Seattle W
5 Sun, Oct 7 Baltimore L
6 -- bye -- -- --
7 Sun, Oct 21 at NY Giants L
8 Sun, Oct 28 New Orleans L
9 Sun, Nov 4 at Atlanta W
10 Mon, Nov 12 at Seattle L
11 Sun, Nov 18 St. Louis W
12 Sun, Nov 25 at Arizona L
13 Sun, Dec 2 at Carolina L
14 Sun, Dec 9 Minnesota W
15 Sat, Dec 15 Cincinnati L
16 Sun, Dec 23 Tampa Bay W
17 Sun, Dec 30 at Cleveland W

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back