PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm worried about the 49ers

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippo59

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Since we have their first round pick next year we all know that the worst they do the better we do. Could you imagine if we ended up getting a top 12 pick, as well as our own first rounder. That would be amazing. The problem is that the 49ers seem like they could be an up and coming team who added some talent this offseason.

It was so frustrating to watch a mediocre Seattle team win more games than they should have because 1. They played in a terrible division 2. They played in a terrible conference 3. They had a clutch kicker with a strong leg. The 49ers play in the same weak division and conference as the Seahawks.

Key talent added this offseason:

Nate Clements
Michael Lewis
Patrick Willis
Darryl Jackson
Joe Staley
Jason Hill
Jay Moore
Tarell Brown

They already have a tremendous do everything running back in Frank Gore, a freak of a tight end in Vernon Davis, and their QB was the number one overall pick in 2004. They still have a very young team, but they have some talent and I fear they could get lucky and win a few more games than they should. A few games could be the difference between a pick in the early teens and a pick in the early twenties.

To me, the key to their season will be the performance of Alex Smith. If he has a pretty good year then they stand a chance of making the playoffs. If he doesn't, then hello high pick. Last year he threw as many touchdowns as interceptions but he will be going into his third year and might improve, but he is a big question mark. I can also only hope that the Cardinals, Rams, and Seahawks improve this year so that division becomes tougher.

The possibilities that having an additional high first rounder next would open up are endless.

They're a year away from the playoffs.

Last edited:
Realistically it would be better for everyone to expect a pick in the early to mid 20's next year....and then hope for the best.

Since we have their first round pick next year we all know that the worst they do the better we do. Could you imagine if we ended up getting a top 12 pick, as well as our own first rounder. That would be amazing. The problem is that the 49ers seem like they could be an up and coming team who added some talent this offseason.

It was so frustrating to watch a mediocre Seattle team win more games than they should have because 1. They played in a terrible division 2. They played in a terrible conference 3. They had a clutch kicker with a strong leg. The 49ers play in the same weak division and conference as the Seahawks.

Nate Clements
Michael Lewis
Patrick Willis
Darryl Jackson
Joe Staley
Jason Hill
Jay Moore
Tarell Brown

They already have a tremendous do everything running back in Frank Gore, a freak of a tight end in Vernon Davis, and their QB was the number one overall pick in 2004. They still have a very young team, but they have some talent and I fear they could get lucky and win a few more games than they should. A few games could be the difference between a pick in the early teens and a pick in the early twenties.

To me, the key to their season will be the performance of Alex Smith. If he has a pretty good year then they stand a chance of making the playoffs. If he doesn't, then hello high pick. Last year he threw as many touchdowns as interceptions but he will be going into his third year and might improve, but he is a big question mark. I can also only hope that the Cardinals, Rams, and Seahawks improve this year so that division becomes tougher.

The possibilities that having an additional high first rounder next would open up are endless.

While I agree with you the 9ers are much improved, you have to take into account the rest of the NFC West. Last year they were by far and away the worst division in football and the 9ers still didn't make the playoffs. With a healthy Alexander and Hasselbeck and a much improved Cardinals team I think the 49ers will have much stiffer competition.

I wouldn't be shocked if they won the division this year. Seattle strugled through injuries last year and Alexander's foot is still a question mark. The Seahawks could easily finish third behind SF and Arizona. With that said I wouldn't be shocked if they finished last, I think that division is that unpredictable. You mentioned Smith and he is obviously the key for that team if he can have a break out year after a very solid and much improved 2nd year then I think our pick won't be much above the 24th that we traded, if at all. If he stumbles at all or gets injured than it could be in the top ten because of the defense.

The 49ers will have a good defense this season but I think it is at least a year a way from being dominant enough to bail the offense out week in and week out. I think they will be like the Chargers from 2005 a ton of young talent that shows flashes of greatness on Defense, but just isn't consistent enough for them to win inspite of the offense.

But honestly trying to figure out that division gives me a headache, because of all the young talent in Arizona and SF, the great unknown that is the Rams and the wiley old vets in Seattle that never seem to play up to their potential, with the one exception (2005).

Last edited:

Nate Clements
Michael Lewis
Patrick Willis
Darryl Jackson
Joe Staley
Jason Hill
Jay Moore
Tarell Brown
You forgot Tully Banta-Cain.

Alex Smith started getting his sh*t together late last year. The wins in Seattle and Denver were impressive. When the Pats traded the 1st round pick to SF, my immediate thought was "That will be an 18 or so". I wouldn't count on it being a top 10 pick.

Regards,
Chris

Here's why I ain' t worried. Pretty tough schedule for a young team.

7-9 OR 8-8 AT BEST.

September 10 vs. Arizona 7:15 pm WIN
September 16 @ St. Louis 10:00 am LOSE
September 23 @ Pittsburgh 10:00 am LOSE
September 30 vs. Seattle 1:05 pm WIN
October 7 vs. Baltimore 1:15 pm LOSE
October 14 BYE
October 21 @ NY Giants 10:00 am LOSE
October 28 vs. New Orleans 1:15 pm LOSE
November 4 @ Atlanta 10:00 am WIN
November 12#* @ Seattle 5:30 pm LOSE
November 18* vs. St. Louis 1:15 pm WIN
November 25* @ Arizona 1:05 pm LOSE
December 2* @ Carolina 10:00 am LOSE
December 9* vs. Minnesota 1:05 pm WIN
December 15* vs. Cincinnati 5:15 pm LOSE
December 23* vs. Tampa Bay 5:15 pm WIN
December 30* @ Cleveland 10:00 am WIN

I think our pick won't be much above the 24th that we traded, if at all.

It was the 28th overall that we traded. There's very little chance they make it to the conference finals & therefore the pick will be no worse then 28th next year.

Well I'm tired of doing this, but the 49ers were awful last year. They had the 5th worst point differential. They allowed the most points in the league. Alex Smith was better in the first half than the second half. They lost their OC. Two of their wins were against Detriot and Oakland. Another against Seattle with no Hasselbeck. If you assume Seattle with no Hasselbeck is not a playoff quality team, they had only one win against a playoff team, Seattle, and that was when Seattle was playing badly having just lost to Arizona. They haven't added THAT much. The bottom 4 on your list likely won't make a big difference. Willis is a rookie. Jackson is no better than Antonio Bryant, IMO, who they lost.

I like Seattle better. They added Kerney. They should get Hasselbeck and Alexander all year. Branch will know the offense better.

I like St. Louis better. They added McMichael to finish off their offense. Leonard will help in many ways. Carriker will have a good impact where they need it. They aren't a team of young guys who might do it like SF, they're veterans who WILL do it.

I might even like Arizona better. Their defense was better than SF last year. Their skill guys surely are better. Can the OL get going ? That's a question but Levi Brown should be a good start.

Sure SF has the POTENTIAL to be very good this year. Will they be ? Almost certainly not. 5th worst point differential last year, repeat that over and over. They have a long, long way to go and the chances of them going that distance this year is remote.

Top 15 pick, I'm telling you guys.

IThe 49ers will have a good defense this season
:confused:

They gave up the most point in the league last year. WORST DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE. They aren't going to be good this season. Below average, maybe.

It was the 28th overall that we traded. There's very little chance they make it to the conference finals & therefore the pick will be no worse then 28th next year.

Really they would need about a 12-4 record to get the #28

They lost their OC.

That reason alone should ****** Alex Smith's progress this year. I can't imagine them making the playoffs having to learn an entirely new offensive system.

Well I'm tired of doing this, but the 49ers were awful last year.

Tell me about it. It seems every offseason there is hype surrounding a losing team. Last year it was the Dolphins. The year before it was the Texans. What happens when the seasons actually play out? The teams aren't what the media builds them up to be.

I think people are forgetting about the Rams. Steven Jackson is arguably better than Frank Gore. Bulger IS better than Alex Smith. Look at their WR's... Holt, Bruce, Drew Bennett, Dante Hall, add in TE Randy McMichael and they still have a special passing attack. Little and Carricker at DE is scary. Their secondary is their main weakness although they did draft a CB in the 3rd round. Remember they missed out on the playoffs on a tiebreaker.

Really they would need about a 12-4 record to get the #28

And if by some miracle they get there we can just trade the pick for Oakland's #1 in 2009 :rocker:

Here's why I ain' t worried. Pretty tough schedule for a young team.

7-9 OR 8-8 AT BEST.

September 10 vs. Arizona 7:15 pm WIN
September 16 @ St. Louis 10:00 am LOSE
September 23 @ Pittsburgh 10:00 am LOSE
September 30 vs. Seattle 1:05 pm WIN
October 7 vs. Baltimore 1:15 pm LOSE
October 14 BYE
October 21 @ NY Giants 10:00 am LOSE
October 28 vs. New Orleans 1:15 pm LOSE
November 4 @ Atlanta 10:00 am WIN
November 12#* @ Seattle 5:30 pm LOSE
November 18* vs. St. Louis 1:15 pm WIN
November 25* @ Arizona 1:05 pm LOSE
December 2* @ Carolina 10:00 am LOSE
December 9* vs. Minnesota 1:05 pm WIN
December 15* vs. Cincinnati 5:15 pm LOSE
December 23* vs. Tampa Bay 5:15 pm WIN
December 30* @ Cleveland 10:00 am WIN

Why do you think that they will lose to Pittsburgh? A team that has had a HUGE overhaul in their coaching and has some key spots on their O-line changed. They also lost a leader in Porter from the defense.

I wouldn't say that the Giants are a sure loss either. Eli is not even close to Peyton in terms of ability. In fact, I would be hard-pressed to say he's better than Joey Harrington or J.P. Losman. The Giants did add Rueben Droughns to replace Tiki Barber, but that may not be a good thing.

The 49ers could very easily put together a 9 or 10 win season. On the other hand, they could easily lose 10-12 depending on how Alex Smith adjusts to the new OC.

That reason alone should ****** Alex Smith's progress this year. I can't imagine them making the playoffs having to learn an entirely new offensive system.

By all accounts, they aren't changing the system. If that happens, and the new OC cotninues with Smith's development, then who knows what will happen.

By all accounts, they aren't changing the system. If that happens, and the new OC cotninues with Smith's development, then who knows what will happen.
It's unklikely (not impossible) there will be no interuption. Turner, for all his failings as a HC, is a top QB coach and a good OC. Things won't be the same. They weren't for us when Weis left. Same players, same system. Not the same when the veteran OC leaves. Add to that, Smith was mediocre last year and has marginal talent at WR.

49ers will make the playoffs in the abysmal NFC. Count on a pick in the high 20's.

Why do you think that they will lose to Pittsburgh? A team that has had a HUGE overhaul in their coaching and has some key spots on their O-line changed. They also lost a leader in Porter from the defense.

The game's at Heinz. I don't know if the Niners are ready for that environment and Pitt is always tough at home. Pitt's D is still going to be very good and they'll still have a good running game and Hines Ward that the Niner's young D will have a tough time stopping.

I wouldn't say that the Giants are a sure loss either. Eli is not even close to Peyton in terms of ability. In fact, I would be hard-pressed to say he's better than Joey Harrington or J.P. Losman. The Giants did add Rueben Droughns to replace Tiki Barber, but that may not be a good thing.

I'll give you that one. I truly have no faith in the Giants, escpecially without Barber.

The 49ers could very easily put together a 9 or 10 win season. On the other hand, they could easily lose 10-12 depending on how Alex Smith adjusts to the new OC.

I'll give them 9-7, plus if I were and defensive coordinator, I'd put 8 in the box and let Smith beat you.

Still very good draft position for us in 08'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes