Welcome to PatsFans.com

I'm thinking of calling a friend in Morocco

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

So, if I call my good Muslim friend in Casablanca, what are the chances that my conversation will be listened in on? Will it be safe for me to ask him his thoughts on the Cartoon riots? If someone listens in, is there a chance they will think I am saying more than I am, and could I get into trouble? Now that big government is spying on us, I think I need a list of do's and don'ts. In fact, it might be good to post the list on the web, so that people living in other repressive regimes have a good reference tool.
  2. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I imagine posting it on the web could get you in trouble, too, if you had a government source.
  3. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Depending on who your Muslim friend's other contacts are, and if any of them are known contacts of known terrorists, I'd say there's a decent chance. If not, the chances are about zero.

You can talk about anything you want, including asking about cartoons and riots. If it's a legitimate conversation, there's going to be some give-and-take in it. On the other hand, if it sounds stilted, unnaturally abreviated, or forced, that might attract some scrutiny if anyone is indeed tracking that call.

If you mention Al Quaida, or discuss terrorist activities, you virtually invite additional scrutiny. And depending on the nature of that discussion, you could be tracked further (that would include getting a warrent and tracking domestic calls).

The government doesn't care if someone is Muslim, it only cares if someone is a terrorist. And those that do the job of listening (A) don't care what you talk about, and (B) would get in serious trouble if found to be listening to anything for entertainment purposes (let alone to Americans) rather than doing the job of screening for terrorist activity.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +296 / 1 / -9

Just don't say "BOMB", you'll be fine. :rocker:
  5. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

You'd be better off checking with a perhaps a Cuban friend in person, or if you're real lucky you know a North Korean that you can consult on this (not to belabor the obvious) in person. Us Americans aren't used to living under a repressive, totalitarian regime, so what seems natural is out. I'd hate to see you learn about our new 'rights' the hard way.
  6. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

wow, for a top secret program you sure do have all the answers. What a great leaking bucket of crap this presidency has become.
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +296 / 1 / -9

LIberals will have none of this, they don't want the US Govt violating the civil liberties of America's enemy's. Many of them would rather be Nuked than Offend the Muslims.
  8. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Right, because if you're not a terrorist, you've got nothing to hide? Or something like that.

Raise your hand if you've ever kept something secret because it was embarassing (not illegal). Now imagine if you were a thorn (not a lawbreaker, just a thorn) in the government's side. Don't you think someone listening on that other end might just want to out your secret to get you back or intimidate you into keeping your mouth shut?

If they outed Plame's identity for poilitcal gain, why not Joe Sixpack's affair with the maid?
  9. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

And you are basing all this on what?
  10. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Informed speculation. (Hopefully that will make All Around Brown feel a bit better.) As many of you know, I'm a Marine, but I never said what my job is. I'm an instructor at Goodfellow Air Force Base. Connect the dots.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2006