PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm Still Mad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was addressed previously already.

Of course this was Dungy's plan to play 2-deep all day, however that not only leaves the short field available, it would leave HUGE chunks of the field open in the middle or outside. Cassel threw for 204 yards playing dink and dunk, when there was enormous amounts of open field which the OC didn't even try to attack.

Anyways, this excuse isn't even legit because we didn't even try to throw deep to Moss once all game.

You DO NOT tell a young developing QB to force a ball into double-coverage or make bad throws just to appease the fans, no matter WHO the WR is.

This was addressed previously already.

Of course this was Dungy's plan to play 2-deep all day, however that not only leaves the short field available, it would leave HUGE chunks of the field open in the middle or outside. Cassel threw for 204 yards playing dink and dunk, when there was enormous amounts of open field which the OC didn't even try to attack.

Anyways, this excuse isn't even legit because we didn't even try to throw deep to Moss once all game.

There were several plays that were clearly designed to throw deep, but when Cassel looked to Moss or whoever his target was on that play was not open. If Cassel threw into double coverage and it was picked, that would have been even worse. There were several times it was clear that Cassel looked down the field and he didn't see anything open and went through his progressions and dumped it off. Just because Cassel throws to a certain receiver doesn't neccessarily mean that receiver is primary receiver in that case. I know at least two times that Cassel looked down field to make a play and then checked off the receiver.

Cassel isn't Brady. Cassel cannot hit Moss on the money 30-40 yards down the field with him in tight double coverage. I look at this as the maturation of Cassel rather than a flaw in the gameplan when he checks off Moss.

You DO NOT tell a young developing QB to force a ball into double-coverage or make bad throws just to appease the fans, no matter WHO the WR is.

Exactly, you don't throw down field just to throw downfield. If Moss is being double or triple teamed, you don't force it into him just to go down field especially if you are being pretty effective in the short game.

Last edited:
Guys, at this point with mav you've reached the spinning your wheels stage by talking to a guy who is clueless yet getting what he wants by prolonging discussion of his agenda this thread ad nauseum thereby creating a venue where he gets to spew his nonsensical drivel and people still engage him...

How are you making the assumption, or accepting as truth, that there was no deep ball opportunity all day?

I'm not talking about forcing. We didn't even TRY

Guys, at this point with mav you've reached the spinning your wheels stage by talking to a guy who is clueless

All you have is ad hominem, you cannot debate on the facts.

Even you dismiss spacecrime

All you have is ad hominem, you cannot debate on the facts.

Even you dismiss spacecrime

I posted factual information and you either misread it or ignored it. All you have is regurgitated ad NEMinem drivel...

How are you making the assumption, or accepting as truth, that there was no deep ball opportunity all day?

I'm not talking about forcing. We didn't even TRY

Well this is where the discussion ends I guess. Forcing it IS "TRYING" to hit a double-covered receiver, who the other team is determined to stop.

Guys, at this point with mav you've reached the spinning your wheels stage by talking to a guy who is clueless yet getting what he wants by prolonging discussion of his agenda this thread ad nauseum thereby creating a venue where he gets to spew his nonsensical drivel and people still engage him...

Yeah, somehow I got sucked into it again. It is clear that he has a blind hatred of McDaniels and any time you counter his argument, he is just going dismiss anything you write.

Hindsight is 20/20

Here's some more 20/20 re: the 2-point attempt.

While Cassel was waiting for the snap, I noticed that the DB covering Welker was 4-5 yards away from him. I was really, really hoping that Cassel would notice that too; because had he thrown to WW either on an inside slant, or on a fake slant/turn to the outside, or with WW merely standing still, he could have walked into the EZ.

Let's face it: the draw/direct snap to Faulk is the Pats' 2-point modus operandi. If I know it, then I'm pretty sure that the rest of the league knows it, too. They just need to try something else, every once in a while.

It is so easy to predict the Pats offense now, the OC runs the same sh*t all day in the second half, regardless of how well it's going. He goes into every game with an above average game plan, but if it isn't working, the guy does not know what to do in the heat of battle.

To run a draw play on the 2-pt conversion is the dumbest play imaginable. Any number of plays have a higher chance of success against a small fast Colts D, like pounding the ball in with a power formation, a play action off that power formation, or even chucking it up to Moss for a jump ball is better than a draw play at the goal against a small fast D.

I'm not sure about the super bowl, because I will never look at that tape ever again.

But I can't see how you aren't happy with a gameplan that kept Manning off the field as much as it did, and should have put up a minimum of 22 points had we not had major screwups out of the control of McDaniels.

15 points + 4 points (Gaffney TD instead of FG) + 3-7 points (take away Thomas bonehead penalty) = 22-26 points

Had BB not called the timeout in the red zone = 26-30 points

This is in a shortened game, limited possessions. McDaniels called a game that should have succeeded.

I can only imagine how many coaches have been fired while mumbling to themselves, " I called games that should have succeeded!"

To MoLewisRocks- I'm not a BB hater, so far from it in fact, and I've almost reversed my opinion of Cassel. What would be the point of having a forum like this if the ultimate reply was - you don't know what you're talking about because you're not BB? Of course, I know zero compared to him. Just because I disagree with BB time to time doesn't mean I'm a complete hater. I'm a passionate fan and that goes both to good and bad. BB doesn't need a bunch of automatons marching behind him, he needs football lovers like me who will back the team through the best and worst of times.

I'm just having fun watching my team and coming here to thoughtfully reply to interesting threads. Please don't put me down for that. Unless you're BB and you're not telling us!:D

You're better than this, man.

There is room for a lot of opinions here. Feel free to hold your own, and try to convinve others of your opinion. But if someone retains their own opinion, it isn't drivel because it isn't yours.

Okay, I've been called the King of Homerville, and I root for the Pats right or wrong, win or lose, but I'm still mad over Sunday's game.

I haven't logged on anywhere or seen any sports shows on TV or the web, so I don't know what people are saying, but I'm saying I saw the worst coaching since the pre-Parcels Patriots.

Colts CBs decimated and we go down the field once. Cassel lays in it perfectly, it would have been a TD, and they go back to 3-yard passes.

Our Oline outweighs their DLine by a Buick and a couple of hybrids and when we a 2-point conversion, do we pound it in the our biggest back behind our big Oline? No, we try a draw against the fastest DLine in the NFL. That's some coaching, Bunky.

Calling a timeout a split second before a play is simply stupid. Hasn't anyone learned that yet.

I saw Cassel throw his first pass in training camp, and I've been a Cassel fan ever since. The term Cassellite was invented here because of my constant yapping defending BB for using a draft pick on him.

OTOH, I've been watching the Pats since they were the Boston Patriots and teh Bay State Patriots, and BB has given my my greatest games and I say, In BB I Trust.

But why won't he trust Cassel? Cassel can make any throw on the field. Why are they handcuffing him? It really pisses me off.

And if they don't think BJGE can bang it for a yard, why is he on the team? I like Faulk, but going for a 2 pointer on the ground against a small DLine, POUND IT IN.

I've seen bad coaching and I know what it looks like. It looks like the game I saw Sunday night. We should have won.

The only good thing to come out of the Colts game is that the Pats offense is far better than even I thought under Cassel. They almost beat the Colts in spite of BB's coaching. You don't play not to lose, you play to win. Even Herm knew that.

If they ever let Cassel play, we will go deep into the playoffs. Superbowl deep. Cassel is even better than I thought, and who would have believed that?
This, IMO, is incorrect.

... that resulted in a loss when with different play-calling it could have been a win.

:confused:

that with better execution could have been a win. No telling how the execution would have effected an alternate game plan, but the work picks comes to mind...

As for the gratuitous shout out to mav, trying to join the ***********? His Nem lite drivel was rebutted several times throughout your thread after you bailed to continue licking your still festering wounds. :cry2:

Get over yourself. And your two game disappointment induced meltdown. You used to be better than this.

... that resulted in a loss when with different play-calling it could have been a win.

:confused:

This is complete hindsight though. You don't know for a fact a different game plan would have had a higher chance of winning. Maybe your style of gameplan creates a 40-18 blowout.

Yeah, I'm saying that the pass rush killed the Pats in the first quarter, the second quarter, the third quarter and the fourth quarter, and that there we no adjustments made to fight it. Quick WR screens, passes to the FB, quick slants, there are a lot of things that can make a team slow down a pass rush.

I'm receptive to any facts you have that show JM made adjustments to compensate for the pass rush last Feb, but while you post aggressively, you haven't said anything. Or are you telling me that the Pats didn't run WR screens because they lost an OG and a third down back. Could be, but that would just be another example of JM stupidity.

I know it was their only loss. I wanted this win more than I wanted any other win, and I was even more upset over the loss than I was about the 76 Raider loss, and I'm still pissed about that, Ahole Ben Dreith, the soggy field and uncut grass, Russ Frances getting punched through his face guard at the LOS, the ridiculous calls to give Stabler more and more chances. The superbowl was worse. We were the better team and we should have won. Saying that does not suddenly turn me into one of the maroons that infest this site. You aren't talking to one of the internegators here. I'm Homer Central. The Pats are my team, and I look upon every draft pick to be a steal and every FA signing to be huge until proven otherwise. My glass isn't half full, it is overflowing. I think everyone not a patriots fan should be permantly restricted to the visitors forum. There has never been a Pats player let go since Mike Haynes that I don't feel could easily be replaced. I was never critical even of Pete Carrol. For years, the Pats could do nothing wrong in my eyes (except for Weiss's stupid 3rd and long draw plays). I know it was our only loss. I also know that if they had made ANY adjustments to slow down that pass rush there would have been no losses.

Tom....don't waste your time trying to reason with d-bags like Mo and Deuche......These two have their heads so far up their own arses....that when they sneeze they give themselves an automatic colonoscopy......seriously....I named the "rose colored glass wearer" club after these two............total idealists........

This is complete hindsight though. You don't know for a fact a different game plan would have had a higher chance of winning.
No, and you don't know for a fact that it wouldn't. But since the game plan was a flop (the DID lose), any other game plan would have a better chance to succeed. As far as the loss be "worse," a L is and L.

Anyway, re-read what I said. I said another game plan COULD have resulted in a win. And it could have.

They lost. People who call it a perfect game plan are silly. A perfect game plan does not result in a loss. Think about it.

No, and you don't know for a fact that it wouldn't. But since the game plan was a flop (the DID lose), any other game plan would have a better chance to succeed. As far as the loss be "worse," a L is and L.

Anyway, re-read what I said. I said another game plan COULD have resulted in a win. And it could have.

They lost. People who call it a perfect game plan are silly. A perfect game plan does not result in a loss. Think about it.

You do realize that this post of yours is complete nonsense, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes