PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm skeptical this is a good draft year-Convince me otherwise

6) It is the height of folly to keep trading picks forward year after year. The reason for trading forward is to find the draft when the values available match our team needs.

I disagree. Every team pays a premium when they trade for a draft pick this year when using next years pick. By trading draft picks forward, you gain overall value (hence the opportunity to draft Mayo on a deal made the previous year that was very loudly criticized in this forum as not providing enough "value" when it was made). I still haven't found the person who is willing to argue that an early second round pick in 1993 was worth significantly more than a mid first round pick in 1994, yet people will reason this way and argue all day long if you change the dates to 2009 and 2010 and make the current date 4/25/09.

I do agree that it is prudent to use the picks when the draft lines up well as many are saying it does this year.

Personally, I think bigdjp has done a great job in asking a thoughtful, intelligent question.

Last edited:
I think that we all agree that a 1st round pick should be expected to be a starter in his second year.

Wilfork did start his first year after Traylor got hurt I think. Unless you are talking about all 16 games.

As far as second year goes, all the players were starters except Meriweather.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back