PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Im really excited for caldwell next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaffney and Caldwell are great depth receivers. I have a hunch though, that one will be cut during training camp. We'll start the season with Stalworth, Welker, Gaffney (or Caldwell), Jackson and a draftee as our WRs.

Why would either be cut. Both are potentially valuable contributors and both have small cap numbers. Caldwell's cap # is $1.8 million and Gaffney's is $750k.

As for Jackson, he will most likely start the season on the PUP if not end up on the IR. It is very doubtfully he will be ready to start the season no matter the optimism. That means we will need at least one more WR on the roster.

The Pats aren't opposed to carrying six WRs and I kinda doubt the Pats will draft another WR high this year after spending two second picks in the past two years on WRs. So I am betting if they draft a WR, it won't be until the second day.

Why would either be cut. Both are potentially valuable contributors and both have small cap numbers. Caldwell's cap # is $1.8 million and Gaffney's is $750k.

As for Jackson, he will most likely start the season on the PUP if not end up on the IR. It is very doubtfully he will be ready to start the season no matter the optimism. That means we will need at least one more WR on the roster.

The Pats aren't opposed to carrying six WRs and I kinda doubt the Pats will draft another WR high this year after spending two second picks in the past two years on WRs. So I am betting if they draft a WR, it won't be until the second day.

I agree - In the best case scenario they would be traded, not cut, for some significant value.

But I think after last season BB very much values depth at WR. And let's not forget that when McDaniel finally began to get a clue as OC, the spread offense was very effective.

Now imagine a spread offense with top to bottom quality receivers, including one (or two if Jackson can get on the field) that can go deep.

I'll hold onto Caldwell and Gaffney, thank you very much.

Caldwell gets a bad rap for the Indy game. That's it. I think he will be a solid contributor in the offense where he is not the number 1 WR.

No one bashes Marvin Harrison for disappearing during past playoff games. Why should Caldwell get raked over the coals?

Very good stats. I would have complimented them had I seen them in another thread.
As for Caldwell this year, I think he will be in his more natural role of 10+ yard route guy instead of Givens-type guy. How many times did he catch first downs for like 3 or 4 yards this year? A ton, but that just isn't his game. Because of Branch leaving, they were forced to use Watson and Caldwell in positions that aren't their best, because of pure need. I think both will benefit from being put in the best position to succeed this year.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure about Gaffney, although he was unbelievable in the playoffs, because he hasn't shown the ability to catch the deep ball yet the way we saw Caldwell do multiple times. I like Gaffney a lot, so I'd like to see him stay around, but I'm just not sure there is a spot for him with the new corps.

very good stats? for christ's sake, it was like Tom had to throw balls though moving car windows at thirty yards to make completions. My mother (bless her) could have 61 receptions if she was Tom's #1 wideout.

Enough of the Caldwell/Gaffney apologists. We basically bought them at the discount store and they didn't work. Tom was obviously not happy with the situation, and BB/SP are rectifying it. I doubt they're both on our roster when we break camp. And I fully expect us to draft WR as well.

These signings have nothing to do with Brown retiring and Jackson's health and everything to do with the ability of Caldwell/Gaffney to get open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots