PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Im ready for history to be made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets not worry about going 19-0 and just worry about finally getting Tom and Bill their fourth.

I do think the thread is crazy, Pherein. No one should be bringing up 19-0 right now, nor should they if the Pats win the first 10 games either. Let's "worry" about that if it actually comes down to week 14, 15 or so.

As far as the "2 new WR's who have never seen action with the Pats," who? Welker (he signed the franchise tag way back in April or May, and is quite happy about making almost 10 million this year), Gronkowski, and Hernandez will still be the top 3 targets, just as they were last year, only now we actually have a downfield threat again to add to the mix.

All they did was add Llyod, who has major knowledge and success in Josh McDaniel's system as an intermediate/downfield threat to open up the underneath and middle routes more. They also brought back Gaffney (he has amazing chemistry with Brady from prior seasons and is coming off back to back 65-70 catch seasons with the lowly Broncos and Redskins throwing him the ball), and Stallworth (who also succeeded here in his role during the 2007 18-1 season). Those two guys have plenty of experience with all 3 of Brady, Belichick, and McDaniels. The number 4, 5, and 6 targets have certainly improved from last year; especially considering it was Branch, Kid n play, and Ochocinco in 2011.

Add in Fells as the 3rd TE, and an expectation that the RB's will also contribute as last year was the only year in about 7-8 where they didn't catch at least 50+ passes, and the offense is pretty well set again.

If they can keep the QB upright, they should almost certainly be in serious SB competition, as they have improved in many other areas of the offense from last yr's freakshow already.

To wrap it up though, I certainly agree with you that any talk of 19-0 is completely ridiculous at this point. I have a feeling that some folks on the Packers sites are likely doing the same thing though, although that is no excuse either. The Saints will likely be right there in January, just as they usually are too, but no team/fanbase should be squaking about 19-0 right now.

Yeah, I don't think we would ever fathom a perfect season. If 19-0 was ever brought up in our forum I don't think anyone would even post a response,lol. Its just to far fetched for our team.

But, then we are not the Patriots who almost pulled it off, and actually beat the undefeated Dolphins , if your honest about the games played.

Llyod is going to be a perfect addition, and I expect great things from him, and Gaffney has clicked with TB in the past. I respect those outlooks.

But to me its the same as our guys drooling over Adrian Arrington, *Joseph Morgan, *Nick Toon.
Arrington is a Colston look alike, Morgan clicks perfect looks special, Toon has been called equal to Colston by our coaches. I just dont buy it until I see it on the field.
The true strength of the Saints since 2006 has been our offense coaching staff, and its ability to make normal or medicare players play better or at their best, or find diamonds in the rough.
Im not sure Colston would have had been as respected if not for our WR coach. Meachum would have been a bust, and Henderson never would have had a career in the NFL, same as Moore.
P Thomas has a drive you cant quantify, but its hard to see him ever getting a chance, same with Ivory. Most of our Linemen were 6th round drafts.

Most were developed and engineered by the coaching staff. Some just were pissed, like P.Thomas and Moore, with people saying they were to slow and short to make it in the NFL.

I get your coaching staff is better than ours, but I put Lloyd and Gaffney at a starting level. Lloyd is a beast, but so was Meachem when we drafted him, and he couldn't catch a thing for 2 years in our system. We stuck with him, but thats my point. Gaffeny has a history, but that was before :)

Thats not today.

Im just thinking of those 2 WR and that its pretty impossible to have a 19-0 season without them clicking perfect, without even bringing up defense. Which is a huge ? with you and us.
I have zero doubt BB will field another playoff team.

But projecting 2 super stars at WR's and 19-0? Im just finding that as hard to believe as Moss will make an impact on the SF 49ers, just not seeing it yet.

always love your post supafly. Our season depends on our coaching staff depth now, and not on our player depth. With a full coaching staff this might be the most talented team we have ever had on both sides of the ball. Without SP, and Vitt for 6 games I think were a 10-6 team if lucky.
but if anyone could pull of a 19-0, I would put my money on BB.

It's pretty crazy when the only outcome that is suitable is to win it all but they have actually put themselves in that situation. Last year's team got everything it could out of itself and came up just short, and while everyone wanted them to win another Lombardi most didn't give them that much chance throughout the entire season. This year is different, they came that close with a much weaker roster than the one they should have heading into the season and everyone knows they are loaded and deep and that if they get as much out of this team as last year's did then they really should be back in the Super Bowl and really need to put it away this time around.

I have never been a win it all or the season is a failure person, but unless they have major setbacks that really mess with them then it's hard for me to see them living up to their potential this season unless they actually add a ring.

i have a bad feeling history is going to be made in the negative way, no idea how...

always love your post supafly. Our season depends on our coaching staff depth now, and not on our player depth. With a full coaching staff this might be the most talented team we have ever had on both sides of the ball. Without SP, and Vitt for 6 games I think were a 10-6 team if lucky.
but if anyone could pull of a 19-0, I would put my money on BB.

Thanks for the kind words, buddy. I think you may be selling your team a bit short on your expected win total for the season, just on talent alone. With Brees and company, 11-5 or maybe 12-4 is certainly well within range, and I think many/most expect them to compete in the playoffs. If you get HFA, it's a whole new ballgame with the SB being held in N.Orleans this year.

I'm sure it'll be a bit different with Payton (season) and Vitt (6 games) not there at first, but Drew Brees himself could probably coach the team and they'd be just fine. He's basically the offensive coach anyway, when it comes down to it. I'm not selling Payton short, but Brees is quite the field general.

I hear what you're saying about the "new" WR's in N.England, but I still feel as though Gaffney (for whatever it's worth he has been the best WR out of all of them in mini-camp and the first couple days of TC according to reports) and his knowledge and chemistry with TFB will be what we've needed for the past few seasons since his departure in '07. DEN offering him more money than he was offered here was a poor move in my opinion, but the team has their protocol for those situations and they stick to it. His knowledge of the system already in place should allow him to do well again, and Brady himself made comments about how he missed him a couple of times, most recently last year before the WSH game.

Llyod has already produced lights out in this system under McDaniels, so I think those 2 should be just fine.

That gives us 5 very talented targets in Welker, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Llyod, and Gaffney...with many other talented 'role' players who should be capable of filling in if/when needed.

The defense is still somewhat of a question, sure, but there also isn't much doubt that they will certainly have improved upon last year; not to mention the fact that the last 5-6 games they really had it together for the most part.

We'll have to see, but it's good to have football back, I know that!

I hope we beat the Titans on September 9.

All these threads should be combined into a flash drive, deleted from the internet, and shot into space. The karmic and social repurcussions are deadly, and makes me feel dirty even seeing it here, like I have entered a Jets forum. I for one don't like that so many people are glad when we lose. Threads like this evoke that in people--they will be rooting for the Pats to lose.

Last edited:
i have a bad feeling history is going to be made in the negative way, no idea how...

Don't bring out the worry wart in me, Armstrong. I can feel your vibes all the way from Israel.

No bad feelings...football, or otherwise :cool:

Good times all around, my friend.

All these threads should be combined into a flash drive, deleted from the internet, and shot into space. The karmic and social repurcussions are deadly, and makes me feel dirty even seeing it here, like I have entered a Jets forum. I for one don't like that so many people are glad when we lose. Threads like this evoke that in people--they will be rooting for the Pats to lose.

I tend to feel the exact same way about it. The next person to bring it up should explode in a fiery ball of flames ;)

The good thing is that we have players and coaches all around, who will be focused on what you said exactly..."I hope we beat the Titans on Sept.9"

One week at a time, and one game at a time. It's okay to keep an eye towards positivity and the bigger picture, but some of these ideas need to be tamed down a bit. Let's just hope for a somewhat healthy season first, and then work on fixing inner-team mistakes and improving for the next good NFL team on the schedule as the weeks go by.

Thank God Belichick prepares them for crap like this.

We're Patriot fans, not NYJ fans on crack with a better team, bragging about this and that. I was under the impression that we had higher standards that we held ourselves to, as a fanbase.

The time for sh!t talking and reflecting on the season is AFTER a successful season, not before.

Yes, we will all die someday.

That's no history.

superfly, sorry mate. i was just going opreating against the big JINKSING that was going around here.

I respect the attitudes of some of you, adopting the same approach the team takes: One game at a time.

I disagree, however. We're not the players, we're the fans; our job is to be excited, supportive, and above all else: Positive.

And WTF shouldn't we be? Seriously, who is going to beat us this year:

The Jets? The team that watched the divisional playoffs last year and concluded, "Wow, we better go get this kid Tebow!" The vaunted 'Ground'n Pound' with a worthless RB, mixed in with the odd two-read look for Sanchez as they pray to God he can handle that much?

But wait, think of the chess match, parts 1 & 2, between Revis and Lloyd! The moves, the counter-moves! The artistry... two athletic wizards, in their very primes!!! Will he go deep? Will he press? Can he get the inside/outside release? Will they throw a flag? But one thing, and ONE THING ALONE is certain! ... After the whistle, when Lloyd invariably jogs over to Brady/Gronk/Hern/Welker/Branch/Ridley/Woodhead/Edelman and congratulates them on their latest TD.

Who else, the Texans? No, sorry, try again. That zone-blocking crap never amounted to anything against a Belichick defense, plus, since when is Houston good when they're supposed to be good? The game is late in the season, so I suppose Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson may be healthy again by then, but still...

The 49ers? They don't play New Orleans until Week 12, but Jimmy Graham already has 6 catches for 112 yards and a touch. Wake me up when they can cover ONE tight end.

Baltimore? Na, and this one is serious, because I'm sick of this, "oh, it's gonna be a real slobberknocker, come down to the last possession, blah blah blah." Baltimore sucks, and we should run roughshod over them. Lewis can't cover anymore, Suggs is out, and besides Ed Reed that secondary is garbage. Offensively, they'd better pray our secondary is as bad as everyone likes to say it is, because that O-line is no match for our front 7 and Ray Rice will be ineffectual. Nothing will stop us from topping 30 points against these guys; unless Joe Flacco has learned to throw effectively with Matt Birk's ass in his face (not inconceivable), these guys can take a seat.

19-0, believe.

Last edited:

This is preseason, and the team's not even finalized yet. I seriously doubt that the Gods of Karma have started paying attention to fan comments about the upcoming season already.

Would love to see a 19-0 season.

Would equally love to see a 9-7 season and go 4-0 in the playoffs.
I'm almost with you rw. I do appreciate that kind of attitude because it shows that the focus is right. The 4-0 deserves top priority.

I would rather see 19-0 though. My mind wants to rummage around through NFL History and see our team where nobody has gone before. I would like to see names like Landry and Shula take the back seat to our team. Somebody must lead; I want it to be the Patriots.

But otherwise I'm with you on the 4-0 record. That is the top priority.

This thread is crazy. 19-0 are you insane. You have 2 new WR you have never seen in action with the Patriots, and Welker might not sign. No one knows if your defense won't be crap next year.
Accept your opinion but have to straighten out a little confusion about the facts.

1. Welker signed his franchise tender for THIS YEAR a while ago.

2. Three new receivers, not two, but two of them have played in the system with Brady already, and the third (Lloyd) has played in the system in Denver under Josh McDaniels and already proven to be 100% in tune with Brady.

3. The defense is a legitimate concern but it will be better than last year, which was a Perfect Storm of crap starting with Haynesworth.

Nobody should be saying 19-0 is probable. It's just a legitimate topic.

This is preseason, and the team's not even finalized yet. I seriously doubt that the Gods of Karma have started paying attention to fan comments about the upcoming season already.

I think that your point that some may see karma and superstition as being silly is valid--depending upon your personal belief of course.

However, talking about the potential team being so incredibly great that they not only win the SB, but that they do it with ease as they run over every other NFL opponent on the way to a perfect season is incredibly arrogant, not to mention extremely unlikely.

If it were week #10 on Sunday, that may be one thing. As you said, it's the time of year when the roster is not even finalized, so a LOT of assumptions are being made by a lot of people who feel that way. (certainly not saying that you are one of them, as I do not believe that)

My belief is to act like our fanbase has been there before, and I have seen way too many occurances where preseason arrogance tends to lead to bad things. However, others may feel differently and that is their right too I suppose.

And if the "Gods of karma" aren't watching quite yet, they will be soon enough ;)

Last edited:
Seriously, who is going to beat us this year:

Love the optimism, honestly I do. Please feel free to come back and share it with many of the doom and gloomers who will likely be feeling very badly should we lose a couple/few games early in the first 8-10 games of the season.

To answer your question though, I think you are basing your predictions on the basis that as of July 28th, our team could probably beat just about anyone. I agree with that thinking.

The problem is that the NFL roster changes, things happen, injuries occur, etc. The team that we know and expect today may very well not be that same team come Oct or Nov. Hopefully we can avoid the injury bug to some extent this year, because that is likely just about the only thing that could slow this team down.

Playing in BAL will be tough. The same goes for playing in NY, probably in BUF. Any one of DEN, SF, or HOU could potentially beat us--depending upon a lucky break or two. Then there are always the WTF kind of games that just don't go the way we think...for ex: at SEA, at MIA, etc.

I do hope that you're right about the possibility of the great record. I think that there is a ton of potential on this year's team, I just don't think that a perfect season holds too good of odds, as there have been many, many great NFL teams over the years.

Yeah, I don't think we would ever fathom a perfect season. If 19-0 was ever brought up in our forum I don't think anyone would even post a response,lol. Its just to far fetched for our team.
The human mind often talks itself out of success because of self induced limitations. Leaders cannot think that way. Leaders go where nobody else has gone and they don't second guess themselves to death.

We've already seen 18.9 - 0.1 and we've seen legitimate runs by the Colts, Packers, and Saints. A fumble here, a pick there and things can get serious.

Wherever you have a great QB and HC it could happen if everything falls right. OK, so the probability is low. Good. That's what we want. That's why it's worth going after.

Playing in BAL will be tough.
I would sweat the Cleveland Complex more. Which nobody team (the Rams?) will ambush a team coming off of a 50 point blowout?

The thing that the schedule cannot show us is how the team's character and attitude progresses into setup games like the Rams. Teams get ambushed all the time. Look at the Packers last year.

Big fact is that any team is good enough to beat the Patriots if the Patriots come up with a stinkbomb attitude. They usually don't but if they do then expect the better team THAT DAY to win the game.

This is why complainers (about the easy schedule) should shut up. There are no easy games unless you make them easy. It doesn't happen by magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back