PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm Optimistic IF...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pinning poor performance - like prior losses - on lack of emotion or desire is just trying to brush what truly ails this team - or the simple fact that something or things does under a rug of convenience... I'd love to be a fly on the wall in practice and meetings these days. This team somehow finds ways to convince itself weekly it's correcting mistakes and rounding into form and has a great plan to underscore that when it's pretty obvious nothing could be farther from the truth.

I think this team needs an intervention... They emerged from a troubling (and one of the oddliest managed ever) pre season acting as if what we were seeing was just the inevitable meaningless working out the kinks. They weren't going to need a lot of veteran help, in fact they had little use for it. They had lots of youth and new ideas and potential talent that they were reluctant to risk losing, not to mention emerging talent they expected to pick up where it left off. Only it didn't. And Brady to Lloyd was being fast tracked to fruition like it was a fait acompli. Concerns about the OL were dismissed because lets face it, Scar always finds a way... They were looking ahead to life after Welker and Branch and even the feel good story of Woodhead. They had Lloyd and Edelman and three young backs and the market on TE depth cornered. On defense they had certainly upgraded the talent in the front 7 and it was showing up out of the gate.

This team used to pride itself on self scouting. And focusing on the task at hand, winning one game at a time. Somehow approaching the mid point of this season they seem oblivious to their shortcomings and unable to adapt or adjust an approach that clearly isn't working out remotely the way they anticipated. Perhaps because it was predicated on winning a game they may not get to. Hopefully over the bye not only do some players get healthier, but the coaching staff takes a good, hard look at it's own product on the field and itself and makes some adjustments to counter what has turned out to be some nagging issues in all three phases of this teams game. Can't do much about the talent you've assembled at this juncture. So all that is left is to figure out how to make the most of it. This is the time that Belichick used to reach outside of his in house inner circle to his extended circle of trusted friends and former protoges for input and a potentially fresh perspective.

I think the offense might benefit from coaches taking a step back from their game planning penchant and their plans for the future to work on figuring out what it is this unit can do best here and now. Everyone plays to matchups. Everyone doesn't spend inordinate amounts of time and energy attempting to dictate them via endless personnel groupings. Put your best players on the field and see what shakes out. The old do what we do best until someone stops us approach as opposed to the out thinking ourselves in the process of attempting to out think an opponent. It's kind of the less frenetic version of what we do in up tempo no huddle that seems to at least work better than the alternative to date.

I even think the defense would benefit from more of an adaptation to that approach. Figure out what we do best based on the talent at hand and see if the instincts that got them this far kick in. And perhaps consider approaching matchups by focusing on not just taking away what opponents do well but by being mindful of what we do best as opposed to forcing opponents into doing what we don't do well.

Just a thought. If they keep banging their heads against the wall across the board, I'm going to be a lot less optimistic. Brady needs to be able to answer the question does this offense have an identity. And it's defense has to find an alternative identity to the one with the worst secondary in the league.

I think you've got a point on the defensive side--I do think a reassessment of approach would be helpful there.

But I think the questions of offensive identity are a little overstated. The primary concern there, to me, is health: of the TEs and the OL, two huge areas. Beyond that, the issue of "identity" might be muddled because--when healthy--there's really little this team CAN'T do. So it's tough to say, "we are this." If that makes sense.

IMO we are so used to a high level of play, when it slips it breed discontent..

The reasons for this could be varied, yesterday we were without our starting safeties an starting guards.. Mankins played all last year with a torn ACL, and this year he is not playing so the injury has to be signficant.. but the problems seem more complicated than just injuries..

Brady is not connnecting with Lloyd(1 out of 8) yesterday, the play calling seems predictable and less of a focus on what got us there previously. There is a new offensive coordinator, and as much as we hear about continuity... there does not seem to be a lot of it right now.

The defense, for some reason BB(or Matt Patricia) is not blitzing too often, perhaps it is as simple as lack of confidence in the D backfield as they need all the help they can get. The DB's, due to injury, is a mix and match.. Arrington has been exposed and he is a very weak link, yesterday the green guys receivers were open a lot.. and there seems to be a lot of mix up, perhaps it is because they are young??? Do not know if the answers are easy...

The defensive snaps per Reiss.. remember the rhetoric about how we were going to ease Jones into a full time role??. Lots of young'uns not sure if that is significant.

DE Chandler Jones – 84 of 84
S Devin McCourty – 84 of 84
S Tavon Wilson – 84 of 84
CB Kyle Arrington – 82 of 84
CB Alfonzo Dennard – 82 of 84
LB Jerod Mayo – 79 of 84
DL Vince Wilfork – 74 of 84
LB Brandon Spikes – 71 of 84
DE/LB Rob Ninkovich – 65 of 84
DL Kyle Love – 61 of 84
DE/DT Jermaine Cunningham -- 40 of 84
LB Dont’a Hightower – 36 of 84
DL Brandon Deaderick – 29 of 84
CB Ras-I Dowling – 22 of 84
CB Sterling Moore – 18 of 84
DE Justin Francis – 7 of 84
S Nate Ebner – 5 of 84

Things have to get better on D, as they cannot get much worse.. that pathetic excuse for a qb the jets have looked like a hall of famer..

We won and that is what is important...

I think it might be better just to say that Gost is CAPABLE of making good/big FG's under duress......but these kicks were made on home turf where he is very comfortable.....IF this was an away game...might be completely different outcome. I am still not completely confident in this guy as a ice in veins clutch kicker at this point. I am pulling for him and he really came through last night....hopefully more of that to come. I think that I would add 3) The secondary STILL sucks...and 4) the playcalling is very weak and predictable way too often.....McD isn't knocking it out of the park this year.....Thanks PATPA.....

Unless you are a diehard blind homer,there was nothing from this game that leads anyone to believe that the team is better or worse than it was before 4pm today.

The only thing you can get out of this game is.....

1) Gostkowski is still a kicker who can kick a good FG under duress
2) The team is now over .500

That's all folks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back