PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm hearing rumors on Indy message boards- Peyton to IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manning should not gain MVP votes just because Polian chooses backups who have no business being on an NFL roster.

Psh...you wish. This is how a MVP is chosen.

nfl-mvp-flowchart-thumb-580x645-260470.png

heh...where the hell did you find THAT??

look, I bag on Manning unmercifully but in the end he's been a great QB, a steady performer and a lightening rod for all kinds polarizing comments...I wish him the best of luck with his ongoing comeback from neck surgery and I look forward to ragging on him again...for as long as he and Brady play...this has been a tremendous decade of offensive football in this league and Manning spearheaded it....gotta be fair.

Colts owner Jim Irsay wrote on his Twitter account Wednesday night that Peyton Manning did not have a third neck surgery, and promises that the team will update Manning's status "soon."

Where there's so much smoke there is often forthcoming fire. We don't want to be irresponsible or jump to conclusions, but the tea leaves are screaming that the Colts and Manning are strongly considering the third neck operation. If your draft is for some reason on Thursday during the day or perhaps after tomorrow night's NFL opener, we'd strongly urge you to not take Manning and avoid Colts pass catchers altogether. Don't accept any Colts trade offers, either.
Peyton Manning - Indianapolis Colts - 2011 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

I feel like I'm going back and forth with an oaf right now. A consistent and high level of performance adjudged by industry experts is a pretty simple way of determining the NFL MVP (as is the current system).

An oaf? That's a little harsh mate. I adjudge that the industry experts are arsehole writers who base their vote solely on stats which are not the only criteria that should be used when adjudging the award.

I also adjudge that I have a new favorite word. Thanks mate!

Psh...you wish. This is how a MVP is chosen.

nfl-mvp-flowchart-thumb-580x645-260470.png

Awesome chart. You'll have to add a category that says, "Did the player go on IR?" No - give the MVP to Manning.

Florio has a similar update on his site. It sounds like the doctors are telling Manning he needs the surgery, but he is looking for a doctor to tell him he doesn't need it. Either that or the surgery is potentially career ending and he might want to think about it before risking his career.

He needs to be really, really careful here. I really hope he thinks before risking the rest of his life if this is the case.:(

heh...where the hell did you find THAT??

look, I bag on Manning unmercifully but in the end he's been a great QB, a steady performer and a lightening rod for all kinds polarizing comments...I wish him the best of luck with his ongoing comeback from neck surgery and I look forward to ragging on him again...for as long as he and Brady play...this has been a tremendous decade of offensive football in this league and Manning spearheaded it....gotta be fair.

No idea. I found it a year back and I used it when I used to comment at Pats Pulpit and it was a running joke lol.

I don't understand all the Colt's front office secrecy then. If he's out, he's out. What's the point?

Wait? Aren't the Patriots the only team that's secretive about injuries? I thought every other team was 100% transparent. Can you imagine the media hand wringing if Brady had a secret surgery? :D

As far as Manning's condition goes, it really is unfortunate. I know the injuries are different, but this story is starting to sound like the end of Steve Young and Troy Aikman's careers. Sure, they might have been able to come back from their concussions, but would it really be worth the risk?

If Manning really does need another neck surgery, it may be time for him to think about what he's accomplished on the field, his family, and his financial situation. Then he can counter all of that with the prospect of getting hit by Mario Williams, at age 36 (assuming he sits out this year), after 3 neck surgeries in 2 years.

As many people have pointed out, the NFL is better and more interesting with Peyton Manning on the field. If he can come back and play, that will be great. If not, it will be a blow, but football seldom allows players to leave on their terms.

Bow down to the new leader in consecutive games started by a currently active QB...

eli-manning-drunk-q.jpg

Last edited:
Irsay tweets Manning 'out for awhile,'

Couldn't find the merged thread but now looks like he's gonna be out longer than just the season opener.

Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay tweeted Thursday morning that quarterback Peyton Manning will be "out for awhile," one day after shooting down a radio report that his star passer had another procedure performed on his neck.

"NFL Season opens 2nite!We had a good practice yesterday and r guys r fired up 4 the season.#18's out for awhile,but compete,we will/BELIEVE," Irsay wrote.

On Wednesday, Jake Query, a radio host for WNDE-AM in Indianapolis, tweeted early in the day that Manning would miss the season, adding in another post "I was also told the 3rd procedure has taken place, either Sun or Monday."

That prompted a response from Irsay in the evening.

"Peyton didn't have a medical procedure last sunday,we'll have more info 2 add clarity 2 situation soon," Irsay tweeted.

The Colts announced Wednesday that Manning will miss Sunday's season opener against the Houston Texans as he tries to recover from neck surgery he had in May. That means Manning's streak of 227 consecutive starts will end.

Re: Irsay tweets Manning 'out for awhile,'

if i had to bet, i'd say first month ala big ben last year

Given the type of injury they have no idea when he will be able to play.

if i had to bet, i'd say first month ala big ben last year

Wasn't Big Ben suspended though?

I'm surprised at the Manning hate. It made sense to me when he was hyped but choking in the playoffs, but the last 5 years or so they've given as good as they've gotten from us and I've moved from hating Manning to respecting him as a worthy opponent.

All my hate is for the Jets.

Sounding more and more like the season....... You can rush coming back from neck surgery....... your 3rd no less.

Indy sure has handled this poorly. They are all over the place on this. It's train wreck.

p.s. I hope he gets healthy and fully recovered. As much as a goofball as he is. I don't mind Manning. He's good for the game.

Last edited:
Did the lockout in part create this mess? How do you give someone that huge contract if all is not well with him? Imagine if this was any other player, the media will be bashing the organization for such a decision.

The game needs Manning, without him, a game against the Colts is just like playing the Titans minus CJ. Nothing to get you off your seat.

Still, I highly doubt they put him on IR, their season is over without him, so why bother. He needs to get healthy, how far back they are when that finally happens will decide wether or not he plays this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back