PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm hearing rumors on Indy message boards- Peyton to IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, to my mind, the way that the Colts would deal with Peyton if it turns out that he can't play again, is to go after him in court. He signed that massive contract, but the question for the Colts is whether he knew how badly his recovery was going when he signed.

If he was less than forthright with the organization, then a case could be made for fraud and the dissolving of the contract. It likely wouldn't work, but you never know.

Irsay & Polian are exactly the sort of fellows who would do something like that, IMHO. :mad:

The PR hit would not be worth the likely losing effort. Manning retired even under somewhat tragic circumstances would continue to make money for the Colts. Suing him would serve little purpose. Remember, the Pack offered Brett $20M just to retire...

They have no case in a court of law, IMO, but the court of Goddell may decide new rules are needed.
Goodell doesn't get to make new rules. Doesn't the competition committee recommend, and the ownership vote on, all in-game rule changes?

That certainly sounds career threatening to me

Me too... I don't see how they can put him back on the field any time soon. Even if he finally gets the all clear that the nerve is fully regenerated, you have to be wary of putting him back on the field without at least a couple of weeks of additional practice and increasing workload and reps to be sure he's functioning at 100% before the hounds are released in his direction.

Makes Polian's recent debaucling of their OL transition (not to mention backup QB hunt) coming out of a lockout that much more costly... They've got Saturday coming off an offseason spent in law offices surrounded by a 10 year veteran RT playing LG for the first time, a rookie LT who wasn't a lock to start under ideal circumstances and frick and frack (and a rookie backup) holding down the right side. No wonder they kept half a dozen backs and just grabbed a FB off the waiver wire. Collins standing next to Manning looks to be 20 years older than a QB he's only 3-4 years older than...ridden hard and put away wet we horse folks used to call it...

I don't believe so. I'm just tossing out a "what if" to add to the discussion. My example comes from the look at how scr3wed the Colts would be salary-cap wise if they couldn't play Peyton, tanked the season and ended up with a high draft pick and the accompanying high salary to go with it.

I've posted elsewhere and often how foolish the Colts are to have not provided for the development of a journeyman back-up QB while also dumping truckloads of cash on Manning. Karma loves it when folks set themselves up in a precarious position. Irsay & Polian refused to look to the future, trying to win it all now and the future is suddenly here.

If they lose Manning and end up with a top-10 pick, what will they do? Their only hope of some sort of salary-cap relief is to either try and get the contract voided, or to trade out of the high draft pick and start what will perhaps be a long and painful rebuilding program.

If Cam Newton's contract is any indication, #1 overall picks aren't the cap murder that they used to be.

Will Peyton Manning ever tie or go ahead Favre in ESPN coverage?

Will Peyton Manning ever tie or go ahead Favre in ESPN coverage?
No, because Favre will somehow find a way to be the person who performs Peyton's next surgery.

The ol' gunslinger can do it all.

Any meeting between Favre & Manning will have to be geld out of doors. there just isn't any building large enough to hold both those egos at the same time.

Any meeting between Favre & Manning will have to be geld out of doors. there just isn't any building large enough to hold both those egos at the same time.

they need an aircraft hangar...to support Peytie's fly landing strip forehead and the ol' gunslinger's open fly, one eyed C-130.

they need an aircraft hangar...to support Peytie's fly landing strip forehead and the ol' gunslinger's open fly, one eyed C-130.

Can't fit his head in a C-130. They need the Antonov An-225.

I respect Peyton Manning as a competitor and would consider it unfortunate for the league and all fans of good football for him to leave via injury. That being said, I think Polian and the whole Colts franchise deserve whatever comes their way without him. They should have started grooming a capable successor long ago. I also wouldn't mind seeing another team win that division.

2 Mannings 1 cup

lead6.jpg

...Brett Farve to the Colts?

Goodell doesn't get to make new rules. Doesn't the competition committee recommend, and the ownership vote on, all in-game rule changes?

FWIW, I'm reminded about the jokes about what would happen if various QBs had been in Worthlessburglar's motorcycle accident. . . .

Peyton Manning – During his first year back, the NFL would institute a special rule that nobody is allowed to touch Manning, and he only has to say the name of a receiver for it to count as a completed pass.

:eek:

I do hope that the Colts do what is best for Manning and not what is best for the club or the stat sheets (Manning's especially). Surely this is where the conservative route is by far the safer and the more sensible route. I would prefer to have Manning back and in top form to continue the best individual rivalry in sports rather than risk his current and future health in games where he may aggravate the injury. He and TB are this generation's best, and I would hate to see him degenerate into a shadow of his former self. I have never really liked him but I do respect him and wish him all the best in a speedy recovery.

Do teams have to declare players on PUP before the season starts or can the Colts delay that decision like several others they have done in the past few weeks?

Not possible. But it is theoretically possible to go 3-13 and back into the playoffs. Not only that but you would host a playoff game.

I think he was saying, 0-16 (this season) then back to playoffs (next season)

I think he was saying, 0-16 (this season) then back to playoffs (next season)

Oh, okay that makes more sense.

But it is theoretically possible to make the playoff with a 3-13 record. It is also possible to miss the playoff with a 14-2 record; lose the division with a 15-1 record; or play an away playoff game with a 16-0 record.

I find the theoretical possibility that a 3-13 team could win the division and another team could sit home with a 14-2 record fascinating.

That's too bad for Manning if true, but if I was a big Colts fan I would be PO'd. How did they not know he wasn't recovering well prior to signing him to that big contract extension?The lockout must have allowed him either to hide it, or not to test how it was coming along. Didn't his older brother have to leave football because of neck problems? Maybe it's a hereditary thing aggravated by playing in the NFL. If so, they should have had major red flags available to them. As someone prior said, look what can happen when you put all your eggs in one basket.

That's too bad for Manning if true, but if I was a big Colts fan I would be PO'd. How did they not know he wasn't recovering well prior to signing him to that big contract extension?The lockout must have allowed him either to hide it, or not to test how it was coming along. Didn't his older brother have to leave football because of neck problems? Maybe it's a hereditary thing aggravated by playing in the NFL. If so, they should have had major red flags available to them. As someone prior said, look what can happen when you put all your eggs in one basket.

Cooper had spinal stenosis, which is unrelated to what's going on with Peyton. Peyton was tested for that at the combine back before he was drafted, and was cleared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back