PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
It killed earlier, now it's just a dull ache. lol

Fair enough. I would like to tell you that I haven't said or done things that I regretted once I had sobered up. Unfortunately, friends of mine have the negatives that prove me wrong. :eek: I like your passion. Stay with the Pats!

Not going to bash this guy because I've been there before. It was hard for me to get any sleep last night. I'm at work and a bit grouchy. This loss stings and it will always sting no matter how many more Super Bowls they go to because this one will be one that got away. But it is about perspective. You can't expect the Patriots to get it done every year. It's just not possible. All you can do as a fan is hope for the best.

Honestly I don't expect them to win it every year. But this year they truly GAVE away a shot at another SB. We had the ball back with just over three minutes left and had the lead and couldn't seal the deal. It's so stupid and wasteful how they gave this season away. Yeah they were tired and yeah they had the flu in the locker room, but if they'd just gotten a couple first downs they'd have had TWO weeks to get better before the next game. So sad that they blew it.

I will say this though, upon reflection is seems like sports hasn't been as enjoyable to me because of how intense the discussions get among rival fans on the Internet. Sports isn't as enjoyable when I have genuine animosity toward so many other fans just because they hate my team. And it makes losses like these hurt that much more. With that said, there is nothing you can do but move forward. I'm proud of the Patriots and to be a Patriots fan, and nothing will change that. I loved this team when they were the laughing stock of the league, and I love them now. Only thing is sometimes I wish I weren't so emotionally invested into sports, because I set myself up for severe disappointment that way.

True, I really don't like SD now just because of their trolls.

But enough about me. Brownfan80, I think like many of us here you wear your heart on your sleeve and this loss is really effecting you. We know how you feel. It's not easy. However, you have no control over the outcome. So don't beat yourself up over it. I think you should use the time you have now to reflect on what's important to you. Do what's in your best interest. Next time football season arises, if your heart is no longer into it, then don't bother, focus only on your music and what makes you happy. If the time comes and you find yourself wanting to root for the Patriots again, then just remember that the frustration of losing applies to all of us and we all await a fresh start. You have to be open to the possibility that you may never see the Patriots win another Super Bowl in your lifetime. With the organization we have in place, there's a good chance that will be wrong and that there will indeed be another Super Bowl championship in the future, but anything is possible.

Thanks for the kind words. That is kinda my plan. I'll wait and see how closely I want to follow the Patriots next season after I spend some time this offseason focusing on my other life loves.

Just try to focus on what's important to you, and remember that we're all in this together.

Thanks man, really nice post.

Fair enough. I would like to tell you that I haven't said or done things that I regretted once I had sobered up. Unfortunately, friends of mine have the negatives that prove me wrong. :eek: I like your passion. Stay with the Pats!

I'm a patsfan for life, but next season I'll probably just take the emotional level down a notch about it. Or at least attempt to.

I'm a patsfan for life, but next season I'll probably just take the emotional level down a notch about it. Or at least attempt to.

i am thinking the same thing.
but once the draft starts....HAH!

i am thinking the same thing.
but once the draft starts....HAH!

I'm just glad that the draft is four months or so away. Now I can try to put all of this out of my mind for at least that span (though I'll probably still check back to see how the Patriots resign etc)

For the record, I'm not a bandwagon fan. But I am stepping back a bit, as the one thing from my originating post that I still agree with after sobering up is that I need to put less emotional energy into something that's just a game.

BF - I know you're not a bandwagon fan, you've been around here for a while now. I knew you'd be back. My post response was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. I knew your response had to have been fueled by too much wheat, barley and hops.

PS: I hope you didn't twist your knee climbing back on. ;)

Last edited:

Has Ms.Gomezcat seen those negatives? :eek:

BF - I know you're not a bandwagon fan, you've been around here for a while now. I knew you'd be back. My post response was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. I knew your response had to have been fueled by too much wheat, barley and hops.

PS: I hope you didn't twist your knee climbing back on. ;)

haha, thanks for clearing that up, I was kind of confused by it.

And you were spot on as far as my fuel type. :D

Yay, you're not really gone! I knew you needed some rest (though, honestly, I did not sleep much at all last night going over the game in my mind).

Make some music in these coming months and then we'll get ready to go again at draft time. When I think of the possibility that we may never win another Super Bowl, I counter that with the thought of Tom Brady never again being a Superbowl champ. It doesn't seem possible to me...I have faith they'll be back. It's just harder now because other teams are on to us. But we have been playing at a high level for a pretty long time now so we no longer truly fly under the radar.

You are obviously a passionate person....about sports, music and whatever else interests you. Don't deny who you are because the bad stuff hurts so bad....because when things go right you know there's nothing like the euphoria!

Yay, you're not really gone! I knew you needed some rest (though, honestly, I did not sleep much at all last night going over the game in my mind).

Make some music in these coming months and then we'll get ready to go again at draft time. When I think of the possibility that we may never win another Super Bowl, I counter that with the thought of Tom Brady never again being a Superbowl champ. It doesn't seem possible to me...I have faith they'll be back. It's just harder now because other teams are on to us. But we have been playing at a high level for a pretty long time now so we no longer truly fly under the radar.

You are obviously a passionate person....about sports, music and whatever else interests you. Don't deny who you are because the bad stuff hurts so bad....because when things go right you know there's nothing like the euphoria!

Thank you for the thoughtful follow up. I intend to do exactly that (take some time for my other passions). I am a very emotional guy and I do realize that feeling the bad is what makes feeling the good so special.

But dang, we were so close to Euphoria again and just gave it away. :(

I know. However, there would still have been have been ONE more game to go had we won, and while we were all pretty sure we could beat the Bears, you just never know in this league.

Thank you for the thoughtful follow up. I intend to do exactly that (take some time for my other passions). I am a very emotional guy and I do realize that feeling the bad is what makes feeling the good so special.

Brownfan, this thread will be dogging you until next year.

Brownfan, this thread will be dogging you until next year.

Yeah, I'm sure that many will remember me more for my drunken emoting than for anything else I've posted this season.

Oh well.

We can't all be remembered for our outstanding analysis. ;)

I'll leave that to those better suited, such as yourself and patfanken.

Yeah, I'm sure that many will remember me more for my drunken emoting than for anything else I've posted this season.

Oh well.

Don't worry about it, most of us can't remember what we had for breakfast yesterday. ;)

Don't worry about it, most of us can't remember what we had for breakfast yesterday. ;)

No, but you'll always remember the guy that farted at the breakfast table.

And I sorta did that with this post.

So, um, sorry everybody.

Oh well.

Don't even try to put me on Ken's level. That guy knows more about football than I ever will.

The only thing I have on you is that I can evaluate NE's conerback play a little better than you. ;)

Edited to say that I just reread this and realized that it may have not made sense. I am alluding you our ongoing discussions about Hobbs and Samuel.

It was an excruciating loss, as improbable as the victory was the week before. I felt queasy, shaky, not ready to go to sleep. Couldn't face patsfans.com yet. So I decided to do some work -- had to really throw myself into it to block out football thoughts. And surprisingly, I made some great progress and had some interesting ideas. It pulled me out of the pit of despair just enough to regain some perspective. And I made myself a little vow:

I would come here, read and post -- but NOT about "what went wrong." Only about what went right with the whole strange, unlikely season. Nothing but positives about a team that lost its whole receiving corps fro '05, put all its safeties on ice and still made it to the AFC championship game. A team that by all rights should have been rebuilding but still went 12-4. That has the best QB and the best DL in football, and is heading into the draft with 2 #1 picks. Nothing but thanks for a gritty, determined football team that left everything on the field throughout the playoffs.

And I have to say it's working. Focusing on gratitude and ignoring what-ifs, I'm feeling pretty good today. Being a sports fan you face a whole lotta losing...I feel lucky to root for the Patriots.

This looks like something I would have written right after the 2003 ALCS.

But I soldiered on, and look what happened in 2004. :D

Don't even try to put me on Ken's level. That guy knows more about football than I ever will.

The only thing I have on you is that I can evaluate NE's conerback play a little better than you. ;)

Edited to say that I just reread this and realized that it may have not made sense. I am alluding you our ongoing discussions about Hobbs and Samuel.

No it made sense and I smiled at it even before reading your edit.

I think that the things I stated about Hobbs were true at the time, but certainly proved incorrect over the course of the season. Samuel was by far our best cover corner.

And I don't mind admitting it at all. :D

This looks like something I would have written right after the 2003 ALCS.

But I soldiered on, and look what happened in 2004. :D

I hope that we all look back on these past two playoff letdowns as speed bumps of some greater good yet to come. I really do hope that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back