Welcome to PatsFans.com

I'm a Republican and I'm going to vote for Obama

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by pheenix11, Feb 12, 2008.

1. pheenix11

pheenix11 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I wonder how many others there are like me.

My political ideology is right around where Rudy Giuliani is, fiscal conservative, social liberal. I am definitely middle class however and get a little sick sometimes of the feeling I am getting screwed over by big corporations. Nevertheless, I am somewhat Libertarian, I think the Govt should stay out of our pockets and out of our bedrooms. Both parties have something to offer me but I often have to make compromises to decide who to vote for. I have never voted for a Democrat. In 92 I voted for Perot, in 96 I voted for Dole, in 2000 & 2004 I voted for Bush. I have mostly voted this way because the candidates the Democrats offered up were even worse.

Some would say that Ron Paul is a natural fit and I do like some of his ideas, but he is too extreme and has too many white supremacists supporting him. I doubt he would have even entered WWII if he were President at the time and that is just too isolationist for me.

So why not McCain? Well 8 years ago I loved McCain, I voted for him over George W. Politically he is just about in my wheelhouse, he is a moderate who tries to work with the other party which I think is a good thing. He is a pragmatist which I like.

However, the McCain who is running now is not the same guy from 8 years ago. I don't know if its his age or what it is but he doesn't seem like the maverick he used to be. Now he just seems like someone who is trying to pander to as many people as he can. I respect the guy immensely for his service to this country, he sacrificed more than any of us ever will.

I think time has passed him by though. When he talks he just seems slow, he doesn't sound like the same guy he was a few years ago. I hate to say it but I think at this point he is just too old. He doesn't seem like he is all there and I can understand that after the tough life he has led.

As far as Hillary Clinton I hate her with a passion, I think she is the worst role model for women. She basically stayed with a man who treated her like crap just so she could get to the top. There are plenty of women who get there on their own. She is a fraud and I think she will do anything to get power as she is a ruthless biatch. Her "experience" is a bunch of BS, she hasn't done anything her entire life but ride her husband's coattails.

So since Rudy couldn't make a go of it, I find myself in the strange position of looking at Obama. Now socially he is fine for me, but fiscally he is definitely too liberal for my tastes. However, no candidate is going to line up perfectly. Experience wise he doesn't have much but I think experience is overrated. Nothing can prepare anyone for the job of President, so its pretty much a moot point. The guy is definitely charismatic and he seems like a decent person. Maybe he is a little too inspirational but this country could use a little idealism, someone who shakes things up rather than more of the status quo. He is young and energetic and I think he would be a good leader.

So I find myself in the strange position of supporting a Democrat for the first time in my life. I guess its just the first time they have offered up a candidate who I could tolerate. Meanwhile the Republicans are doing what they did in 96 with Dole, offering up a candidate who is 8 years too late.

So what do you think, am I crazy?
  2. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well you claim to be a moderate, but you're going to be voting for the single most liberal member of the Senate.

Hey, you have a God given right to vote for whomever you so choose, but when a moderate Republican runs against the most liberal guy in Washington, don't claim to be a moderate then vote for the ultra-liberal. I wouldn't call it "crazy" but it is self-contradicting.
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I imagine more republicans would vote for Obama than Democrats for McCain.

this isn't surprising....

I applaud anyone who would put aside the party for someone who they feel best represents their voice.

I know that I for one am sick of the person who currently represents my voice constantly mispronouncing words....nuCLear.
  4. pheenix11

pheenix11 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

You are absolutely right, I can't deny it. Ideologically, McCain is where I am.

But there is something about him. Like I said, 8 years ago I would have voted for McCain in a second. But he doesn't seem like the same guy. He just seems slow and deliberate when he speaks like it is not sincere. He never used to be that way. I don't know if its his age or he is trying to be something he is not, but I don't like the new McCain.

I'm going with my gut and somewhat against my philosophy, but I just think Obama would be better for the country.

Its been difficult for me to come to terms with this.
  5. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Hitlery is gonna be the next puppet...
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

I wouldn't be so sure about that. You might be right, but color is still an issue for a lot of voters. Obama seems to be increasing the percentage of white voters that support him (which is a good thing), and I honesty hope race isn't an issue come November. However, I think it will be for some people. That's a sad reality unfortunately. McCain being more moderate than extreme also will make it easier for those types to cross over. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out should he win the nomination. I know a lot of white women who are planning on voting for Hillary, but who "won't vote for a black guy" as they put it. This election is like nothing we've ever seen. There are a lot of people who's #1 selection is from one party, but who's #2 is from the other. All for different reasons none the less. Some legitimate, some tragic. McCain is pushing some pubs to vote dem, but who wins the dem nom is going to push some dems to vote pub. What a wierd election.
  7. pheenix11

pheenix11 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Thats pretty messed up that they would vote for Hillary but not a black guy. What is that a racist feminist?
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

If someone I knew said to me "I wouldn't vote for a black guy" ... I'd stop knowing them.
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

I'm not voting for McCain. I'll NEVER vote for Hillary. I'm still open to Obama. I'm a fiscal conservative (small government low taxes), moderate socially (pro sensible gun control, understand social programs), and don't really give a hoot about most other stuff , so long as the government does as little as possible to get involved. I like to consider myself a fiscal realist more than anything else. Anyhow, my being open to Obama has some of my friends mystified. They see him as Deval Patrick. I can't say they're wrong. I tell them it's too early to pick a horse. Obama talks real nice, seems genuine and honest, but I still need to hear some specifics before I decide. The few I've heard are not very good. Nominate judges who've been in a minority position? HUH? Give drivers licenses to illegals? HUH? Those are two things I don't like. I give him credit for not mandating health insurance in his plan, unlike Hillary. He says people need to make the effort. We agree on something. Still though, I need specifics. Should he get the nomination we'll all learn the specifics. That will make or break him IMO. I hope he gets the nomination over Hillary. I think I could live with two honest candidates at the very least, in Obama and McCain (call it a silver lining of sorts) even if I don't like their policies, over that lying, fony, power hungry....well, you know, other possibility. :D
  10. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Well, given your explanation of yourself.... yes. I think Obama is a good guy, and honest. But that won't make me vote for him. Given his past voting record, his fiscal policies would be a nightmare on this country. I can't see why you'd go for him over McCain. I guess it's personal preference though. I personally think that McCain has learned his lesson over immigration (a big leap in trust I know), and I am confident he'll be hawkish on spending. Who knows, maybe he won't. But I can't vote for Obama given his past suppost. He's just not where I want the country to be. Maybe he'll be more moderate if he elected president though, I've heard that's common.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  11. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +249 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

As I've said a bunch of times, McCain is hardly my pefect Republican - not even close. But as a Republertarian (half Repuclican, half Libertarian), he's still closer to my belief system than Obama is. Whatever your disagreements with McCain are, I can't see how a Repuclican can possibly consider Obama to be his preferred candidate. I will likely vote for McCain but if not I would vote Libertarian.
  12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +249 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

We'll have to see how much the (D)s widen their lead in Congress. The reason (IMO) that Presidents become more moderate is they either have the other party in control of Congress or a slim enough margin that they can't get anything done if they aren't moderate. Obama (or Clinton) may just have a big enough majority that their true Liberalism would come shining through.

:bricks:
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

It's not just one woman either, it's women. I've heard this from a lot of people. Lots of males too. That's part of the reason why the GOP should be happy with McCain as the nominee. He's more attractive to a broader range of voters than anyone else they could trot up there. This is Massachusetts so maybe it's not reflective of other parts of the country. At any rate, this is all part of the reason why this election is so fascinating.
  14. pheenix11

pheenix11 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Yeah thats why I am torn, going for Obama is going against some of my beliefs. I just have a bad feeling about McCain. I think its mostly the age thing, I mean Reagan was old but McCain is 2 years older than him when he first ran. I remember the McCain from 2000 and the McCain that is running now is a pale shadow of his former self and the only thing I can attribute that to is his age.

I'm hoping Obama would actually move more towards the center if elected. Most Presidents do that after they spend the primaries catering to their base at either the far left or far right.

I do get a kick out of the religious right being unhappy with McCain. I can't stand them and I love seeing them squirm. If McCain picks Huckabee as his VP that would clinch it for me. McCain is too old and Huckabee would be too close to the Presidency. He seems like a nice enough guy but I don't want those religious right freaks with a hold on the Presidency.

Maybe the one thing that could swing me back is if McCain picked Giuliani as his VP. I don't think he would though, they are too close ideologically.

Its too bad Rudy never was able to get his shyt together.
  15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +249 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Initially Huckabee seemed possible to the religious right but, like McCain, he isn't nearly conservative enough for many conservatives so I think McCain will end up picking a strong, consistently conservative running mate.
  16. pheenix11

pheenix11 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

He should pick Romney if he can get over his dislike for him.
  17. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Why? Some people are just ignorant like that. It doesn't make them bad people overall. If your dad said it, would you stop knowing him? How about your mom? Brother? Sister? A close friend? I'm not sure if people will understand it, but there are those who think this way about different types of people, and do so because they don't really know any better. I know people who aren't like this, and others who are. I try to talking to them all the time. Some people tend to broaden their horizons when you put things into perspective. If you grew up in an era when you were taught to think that way, that mind frame tends to stick until it's broken. Sad, but true. Oh, and also worth noting, these are all republicans like Patters would have you believe. A lot of these are Kennedy democrats. The good thing is that if you look at Obama's splits, he does very well with young whites. To me, numbers like that are encouraging.
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Samford from South Carolina has been mentioned.
  19. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

I'm supporting Obama, and I'm one of the most liberal members of this forum, but I'm probably supporting Obama for different reasons than you pheenix. Although Edwards was clearly the most liberal, I did not support him because I felt after 230 years, it's about time we got a black man or a woman elected. After all, we have always used race and gender to choose our presidents, though many conservatives will pretend otherwise.

The main reason I'm supporting Obama over Clinton is that he represents a new generation of thinking. He will, because of his age and the fact that he's not a real insider, bring real change. I hope the change is more liberal than that which he promising in his campaign. (For instance, his health care plan is the least progressive, IMHO.) But, either way, more than anyone else running, Obama does represent something new, and he really is trying to make politics less divisive. Of course, as result he will be beholden to some Republicans and moderates, but perhaps that's what we need now after 25 years of divisiveness.

I knew a woman who was a conservative Republican and worked JFK when he was a Senator. She said to me that JFK was really a Republican at heart (Vietnam, tax cuts, etc.), so perhaps in that way Obama is picking up the JFK mantle.
  20. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +249 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

At the macro level, the "problem" is the opposite. In most states Obama now seems to be getting 40+% of the white vote but over 90% of the black vote.

Are we allowed to call blacks racist ?