Welcome to PatsFans.com

Illegal immigrant poll

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by gomezcat, Apr 14, 2006.

?

Have you been beaten for a decent job by an illegal immigrant?

Poll closed Apr 28, 2006.
  1. Yes- myself or people I know

31.3%
  2. No

68.8%
  1. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

How many of you have lost a well-paid job to an illegal immigrant?
  2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

It happens in construction routinely. My small company gets beat either by unions for publicly funded jobs or from outfits that see nothing wrong with using Brazilian framers, Irish painters, or stone-setters from El Salvador...happens at least 10 times a year and I'm gonna start doing it if there's no correction by the government soon.
  3. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Perhaps you should. If there isn't a level playing field, then why bother playing by the rules?
  4. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think those of us that work for the government/in the military might skew this poll a bit.

I do know for a fact that many of the homebuilders in our area down here hire subcontractors that hire illegals. In fact, there are a couple that specifically advertise that they don't.

Unions in the south aren't like they are in the northeast (if any of you are teachers, you'd probably be appalled by the treatment that teachers get down here).
  5. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I am not sure that I feel comfortable with the question itself since it does not have to be a well-paid job to make it unfair, but let me respond, citing personal experiences.

I, in a previous life, owned and operated restaurants.
    Being the law abiding jerk that I am, I always hired according to the law, requiring the two pieces of identification, paid my employees at or above the standard, and on time; even at times when I could not take a paycheck myself.

Paying taxes (theirs and mine), I have always viewed as a privilige.
    Contrary to common opinion, I would not mind paying another 10% in taxes if I knew it was going to be spent on healthcare and education, and believe me, I pay more in taxes than the average American makes in a year.

My competition regularly hired (especially in the back of the house) without any proof / identification, paid (a lot less) under the table thus saving $ on taxes and benefits and ending up being a lot more profitable than my operation. They were the ones hiring these needy folks and I was not; how cruel of me, right?

I consistently got the short end of the stick for playing by the rules, but I am still very proud of the fact that I always slept well knowing that my employees were not exploited, they were paid well and on time.
    Their taxes were paid, and so were their benefits. Once or twice we did have accidents and my employees were taken to the hospital, taken care of immediately. You can just imagine what happens in my competitions' situation, and it is not a pretty picture.

So, have I lost revenue because of this issue? Yes, I have.
    Do I think it creates an unfair environment? You bet I do.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  6. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I've never been beaten for a job by an illegal (not too many illegals in my line of work) but I have been beaten by a less qualified African-American.
  7. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

How do you know he was less qualified? Was it a cut-and-dry civil service exam type evaluation, or were you told by the company that you weren't hired due to affirmative action?
  8. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Well, obviously, the company would never actually say that outright. But let's just say this:

1) I was in the position for a full year longer than him (2 years versus 1 year)
    2) I trained him to do the job when he arrived
    3) He regularly came to me with problems that I gladly helped out with
    4) I scored higher performance evaluations

Any other questions...?

I got some degree of satisfaction when it blew up in the company's face, but I also felt a little bad for my supervisors that had to carry a disproportionate share of the burden because they essentially had an unqualified programmer at their level when he really had no right to be.
  9. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The reason why I stated "well paid job" was that we all know that illegal immigrants get the crappy jobs and undercut poorly paid workers to do so. What I had personally never encountered was an illegal immigrant getting a GOOD job. In the UK, at least, the Government is under enormous public pressure to clamp down on illegal immigration. As a result, you need the proper paperwork to get a well-paid job.
    Part of the problem, though, is that we get what we are willing to pay for. Companies hire cheap labour because we don't want to pay higher prices, which higher wages would presumably generate. In the US, for example, you seem to pay in dollars, for many things, what I pay in pounds (with a current exchange rate of about $1.8 to Ă‚Â£1). Clearly, there is nothing wrong with people wanting to pay less (or pay less taxes) but there is a payback for that.