PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'll admit i was wrong - Amendola didn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turns out the "Amendola" people were wrong while the "not Welker" people were right. They just weren't right in the way most of them expected.

Less times than you used the excuse that Amendola injured his groin in week 1 to justify his terrible play, actually I could post it 200 more times and I still would not have caught up.

Please tell me about how 2014 is going to be the year, how would not believe you I mean you’ve been so spot on with your expectations for Amendola so far.

Making stuff up again I see.

Turns out the "Amendola" people were wrong while the "not Welker" people were right. They just weren't right in the way most of them expected.

Yeah, Welker wasn't missed this year, but because of Eldeman, not Amendola.

First, Edelman replaced Welker and not Amendola. Edelman lines up in the slot more of the time.

Really so you missed all of training camp and preseason when Edelman was the 4th WR along with week 1 when he was the #3 (Dobson was out with a hamstring injury). Edelman replaced Amendola after Amendola proved to be incapable of replacing Welker, don’t try and manipulate the outcome to disguise the failure of Danny Amendola.

Second, what this team was missing today was not another smaller inside receiver. When you are having Austin Collie running outside routes, you know that is what you are missing. Unless, Welker was going to run outside routes all day, he wasn't what was missing today.

I agree the team was not missing a small inside receiver today, it had Amendola. What it was missing however was a small inside wide receiver other than Edelman that could get open.

Third, have you watched Welker this year. He looked old and slow, at least for him, and dropped the ball quite a bit. He was a great fourth option for Manning for much of this year, but he probably would have sucked in his old role with the Pats. He might have been a good complimentary back up like he was in Denver, but he would not have been a good starter anymore.

I didn’t watch a lot of his games but he appeared to slowly have 19 more receptions, 145 more receiving yards and 8 more touchdowns than Amendola despite being as you mentioned the 4th option on the team.

Making stuff up again I see.

I am exaggerating to mess with you.

Can I ask you a serious question – do you know Amendola or Amendola’s family personally?

I am exaggerating to mess with you.

Can I ask you a serious question – do you know Amendola or Amendola’s family personally?

No. Strange question.

No. Strange question.

Well I asked because you’re usually extremely objective even when you disagree you’re well-spoken (written) and rational in your response but when it comes to Amendola you’re very defensive and irrational so I was curious if there was a personal connection that was causing that.

It's time to stop giving Brady6 crap. He was right about the Amendola thing (even if he does it in a combatitive manner). Lets set our sights on a player like Nicks to play alongside Edelman

Really so you missed all of training camp and preseason when Edelman was the 4th WR along with week 1 when he was the #3 (Dobson was out with a hamstring injury). Edelman replaced Amendola after Amendola proved to be incapable of replacing Welker, don’t try and manipulate the outcome to disguise the failure of Danny Amendola.

I never said the plan going into the season that Edelman was the planned replacement for Welker (although they tried to groom him for that role in 2012 before he got hurt). I am saying that Edelman ended up being his replacement and played very Welker like.

I agree the team was not missing a small inside receiver today, it had Amendola. What it was missing however was a small inside wide receiver other than Edelman that could get open.

Huh?!? The lack of a solid outside receiver has been a problem for a few years now (although Dobson looked like that guy before he got hurt). That was missing today and I don't know how you can argue otherwise. The Pats had too many small inside WRs and no outside WR to test an old and slow Champ Bailey and who ever else they put out there at CB2 opposite DRC.

I didn’t watch a lot of his games but he appeared to slowly have 19 more receptions, 145 more receiving yards and 8 more touchdowns than Amendola despite being as you mentioned the 4th option on the team.

Again, that is all well and good, but that doesn't mean that he was the missing component today. Again, the Broncos' secondary is old and slow. They needed a guy who could test them down the field, not an older and slowing slot receiver that wouldn't exploit their lack of speed.

The Pats needed a guy like Kennan Allen who killed this Broncos' secondary in the second half of last week with long crossing patterns. Edelman almost had a TD on one of those early, but Brady over threw him.

If we signed Welker, we win the SB

this I agree with. But only because if Welker was with the Pats, Talib probably would have played the entire game and the defense wouldn't have sucked so bad.

Well I asked because you’re usually extremely objective even when you disagree you’re well-spoken (written) and rational in your response but when it comes to Amendola you’re very defensive and irrational so I was curious if there was a personal connection that was causing that.

When you stop making stuff up about what I think of Danny Amendola is when we can have a rational conversation about him.

The main problem weapons-wise was with TE. Gronk only played a few games this year, and Murdernandez was not adequately replaced, either. That's where the loss was on offense. Welker was completely replaced by the Edelman/Amendola tandem, and Brandon Lloyd was pretty much replaced by the various outside guys like Dobson.

But the main problem in general was the offensive line. If you give Brady all day, he'll pick teams apart. Need to address the horrid pass pro.

I never said the plan going into the season that Edelman was the planned replacement for Welker (although they tried to groom him for that role in 2012 before he got hurt). I am saying that Edelman ended up being his replacement and played very Welker like.

Again, that is all well and good, but that doesn't mean that he was the missing component today. Again, the Broncos' secondary is old and slow. They needed a guy who could test them down the field, not an older and slowing slot receiver that wouldn't exploit their lack of speed.

The Pats needed a guy like Kennan Allen who killed this Broncos' secondary in the second half of last week with long crossing patterns. Edelman almost had a TD on one of those early, but Brady over threw him.

To be clear I never said I wanted us to sign Welker but I didn’t like the Amendola signing then and I especially don’t like it now. My preference was to draft TY Hilton last season over Bequette as I have said many times, then when that was not an option my preference was that we overpaid for Emmanuel Sanders than given the money we gave Amendola.

When you stop making stuff up about what I think of Danny Amendola is when we can have a rational conversation about him.

I am not making stuff up I am being sarcastic because I think the excuses and carrot hanging that is done for Danny Amendola is ridiculous. It really isn’t about you as I have said in the past you’re a poster that I actually enjoy hearing from a lot just not when it comes to Amendola because I don’t think you’re looking at him the way you normally look at a player or a situation.

As far as a conversation goes if we resign Edelman which I think is a must considering the current state of the receiving corp. I cannot see a way that Amendola will ever be worth his pay and a consistent receiver on this team.

To be clear I never said I wanted us to sign Welker but I didn’t like the Amendola signing then and I especially don’t like it now. My preference was to draft TY Hilton last season over Bequette as I have said many times, then when that was not an option my preference was that we overpaid for Emmanuel Sanders than given the money we gave Amendola.

But just because you don't like Amendola, don't change what happened today to make it proof they should have kept Welker. Welker wouldn't have made much of a difference today. Sanders or Hilton might have because the Pats were missing speed on the outside and down the field, not another slot.

The Amendola signing was just terrible, there really is no defending it. Now, they could have kept Welker for the same money. Or, if they knew Edelman was a possible slot replacement then they could have used that same money for an outside receiver instead of Amendola. Regardless of whether Amendola was injured or not this year, he just isn't that good plus the team needed an outside receiver and Amendola was a horrible choice to fill that role as well. It didn't make sense a year ago and still doesn't. If they were going to pass on Welker, then give it to an outside guy not Amendola. Amendola should thank his lucky stars that his old Rams coach got him signed to money that he didn't deserve.

I am not making stuff up I am being sarcastic because I think the excuses and carrot hanging that is done for Danny Amendola is ridiculous. It really isn’t about you as I have said in the past you’re a poster that I actually enjoy hearing from a lot just not when it comes to Amendola because I don’t think you’re looking at him the way you normally look at a player or a situation.

As far as a conversation goes if we resign Edelman which I think is a must considering the current state of the receiving corp. I cannot see a way that Amendola will ever be worth his pay and a consistent receiver on this team.

Well all I've ever said is let's give him more than one season, an obviously troubled season at that. I have not made any claim for Amendola beyond that.

Amendola was a huge flop, sorry but this was true this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes