PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ILB's Play in the JAX Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We dominated JAX. We stopped their run game. How can this be possible without Bruschi in there? Is it possible that Beisel and Chad Brown are a bit better than most here would allow?

mgteich said:
We dominated JAX. We stopped their run game. How can this be possible without Bruschi in there? Is it possible that Beisel and Chad Brown are a bit better than most here would allow?

Well, Brown was playing outside too, and it was mostly Beisel next to Vrabel. Still, Beisel had a very strong game. The truth is, it all starts with the line. There's a reason the Pats keep drafting defensive linemen. If the line plays well, and Wilfork commands a combination block at least, the linebackers are free to make plays, and Vrabel and Beisel both have the speed to make them inside. Beisel is still a ****ty tackler, and I'd rather have Bruschi in there, but he's good enough to make the plays if the line is playing up to snuff.

I love Bruschi as much as everyone else but his impact was a little overstated IMO.

Seymour returned.
Wilfork kicked it up a few notches.
Vrabel moved inside and got better each week.
Colvin played better than we could have hoped, including vs. the run.
Hobbs was a significant upgrade over Starks, including vs. the run.
Hawkins seems like by far the best of the Safety tryout camp.

I desperately hope we get Tedy back this week but a lot of other things have improved too.

mgteich said:
Is it possible that Beisel and Chad Brown are a bit better than most here would allow?

rumors of the defenses' demise was greatly overstated

it starts with Sey and ends with Hawk and is augmented by Tedy and Ellis

but mostly it comes from the confidence that Mangini and Belichick have in the ability of the players to make plays--ergo--the play-calling

I would like to say that Monty had not a great but a pretty good game and I hope that he continues to improve.

The dog did not bark in the night...

mgteich said:

Sherlock Holmes solved a case by observing something that DID NOT happen. The NE Patriot coaches dressed and were prepared to play Bru if necessary. They did not.

While all you are moaning and reading tea leaves about Mr. Bruschii, something unnoticed occurred.

The coaches, they handed a compliment to certain ILBs we have all felt free to dump on.

One Mr. Besiel, and one Mr. Brown. They have improved enough to play well; and is that all? No... Each was on the field with another.

A guy sometimes described as "...another coach on the field...", one Mr. Vrabel.

With him to call the coverages and position people, all these newcomers had to do was play; relieving them of this concern. And they both did play with apparent effectiveness.

It now appears the Patriots have two play callers in the middle, and four adequate ILBs!!! Bruschii is no longer the irreplaceable man...

And no one ever gives Ty Warren enough credit. He's just solid, week in and week out.

primetime said:
And no one ever gives Ty Warren enough credit. He's just solid, week in and week out.

Amen, Brother!!

primetime said:

I almost started a thread about him after the Phins game--how he was back in there during the 4th (presumably) after Wright was injured--and how he is simply workmanlike--quietly does his job, rarely to never misses snaps, and improves with each season. Definitely a solid draft pick and excellent value.

mgteich said:

Nope. But it IS possible they've improved as the year's gone on and people aren't quite willing to give them the benefit of the doubt just yet.

Don't compare Jax's running game to Denver's. The Broncos put up some unreal numbers on the ground this year. If we hold them to 120 or so, it'll be a major accomplishment.

oldrover said:
Don't compare Jax's running game to Denver's. The Broncos put up some unreal numbers on the ground this year. If we hold them to 120 or so, it'll be a major accomplishment.
I'm not buying that conventional wisdom right now.

First 8 games :
Mike Anderson, 133-604, 4.5 YPC
Tatum Bell, 80-562, 7.0 YPC

Second 8 games :
Mike Anderson, 106-410, 3.9 YPC
Tatum Bell, 93-359, 3.9 YPC

Combining them, the two main (almost exclusive) RB for Denver averaged 5.47 YPC in the first half and 3.86 YPC in the second half.

With what we've done to RB the last 2 months (not just the raw number of 2.9 YPC but what RB have done against us relative to what they did the week before and after playing us), that 3.86 YPC in the second half of the season for Denver makes me say "Hmmmmm".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back