PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ILB transition to youth and speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure of the exact switch you refer to. I did notice though that both their touchdowns came on pick plays and we covered tham both differently with the same bad results. On one we did not switch guys and were too late on the other they did switch guys but it seemed as though the switch left our DB off balance.

It looked like we back the Safety up and brought the CB down. I can't remember the result of the play, I just remember the shift there. I suppose that's not technically a formation shift.

But its the young fast guys so we ignore that they lost.

But the fact that they lost is almost an afterthought given the way they played. The defense performed pretty well, particularly given the injuries in the secondary. Holding Manning to 18 points, I'll take it.

But the fact that they lost is almost an afterthought given the way they played. The defense performed pretty well, particularly given the injuries in the secondary. Holding Manning to 18 points, I'll take it.

I think the 18 is misleading because of the small number of possesions and fast pace of the game.

Don't get me wrong my comments were not a knock of any of the young kids as I think most have played well. My comment is more of a knock on the people who scream about youth for the sake of youth. I was simply noting that if we had some of the older guys of the past in this last Colts game people would not be so sympathetic with them they would say maybe if we were younger and faster we would have won.

The defense had played well in losses in the past yet age was still used as a reason for losing. Sorry to rant about this but it has been one of my pet peaves. I think a back bone to our success over the decade has been able to get quality play out veterans but people just want young and fast.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong my comments were not a knock of any of the young kids as I think most have played well. My comment is more of a knock on the people who scream about youth for the sake of youth. I was simply noting that if we had some of the older guys of the past in this last Colts game people would not be so sympathetic with them they would say maybe if we were younger and faster we would have won.

Oh, OK - gotcha, I see where you're coming from. Yup, probably true...ie, how people want to remove Vrabel [All-Pro] from the lineup to replace him with Crable [rookie making a tough transition to pro 3-4 OLB].

Oh, OK - gotcha, I see where you're coming from. Yup, probably true...ie, how people want to remove Vrabel [All-Pro] from the lineup to replace him with Crable [rookie making a tough transition to pro 3-4 OLB].

Yeah exactly my point. But to go even further we need to replace the old Vrable with young player X (doesnt matter we dont know X as long as he is young and fast). I mean I can almost understand when guys fall in love with a particular guy because of what they saw say in TC but people want to replace guys with anybody who isn't the guy as long as they are younger and faster. I always say I want good football players I dont care if they are in their first year or last year.

By this analysis, Wilfork is also a washed up old scrub. He was in for TWO more plays than Bruschi.

did you notice the defense snapshot by Reiss?

Patriots blog - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

Bruschi only 15 snaps!

Mayo 51 and Guyton 37 out of 51 snaps.

So there we have it - Youth and Speed - our new ILB core for the
future - Jerod Mayo and Gary Guyton:)

I wonder if this had a lot to do with the very good run Defense
against the Colts

Now If they can just do something about the pass rush.
Guyton has come a long way ... surprised many I'm sure.

Many say our defense is old and washed up :rolleyes:

How many players under the age of 27 on the defense played on sunday - like 10?

For me the bottom line is that for the first time in a very long time, we are not worried about linebacker or about linebacker depth. Pioli has re-loaded!

I presume that we will tender Woods with a top or next to top RFA offer, thus keeping him for 2009. In 2009, we will have

OLB: Thomas, Vrabel, Woods, Crable, Ruud
ILB: Mayo, Guyton, Bruschi, Redd

plus, perhaps a special teamer.

Last edited:
For me the bottom line is that for the first time in a very long time, we are not worried about linebacker or about linebacker depth. Pioli has re-loaded!

I presume that we will tender Woods with a top or next to top RFA offer, thus keeping him for 2009. In 2009, we will have

OLB: Thomas, Vrabel, Woods, Crable, Redd
ILB: Mayo, Guyton, Bruschi, Ruud

plus, perhaps a special teamer.

Fixed your post for you. Easy names to confuse, but I bet you wouldn't confuse their pictures. ;)

Now if only we could get Crable to take some snaps for Vrabel.

Yeah exactly my point. But to go even further we need to replace the old Vrable with young player X (doesnt matter we dont know X as long as he is young and fast). I mean I can almost understand when guys fall in love with a particular guy because of what they saw say in TC but people want to replace guys with anybody who isn't the guy as long as they are younger and faster. I always say I want good football players I dont care if they are in their first year or last year.

I am definitely one of the people that has wanted to see Crable on the field. While I agree that replacing Vrable is an extreme I do think it would have been nice to see him in certain packages. Ofcourse now it does not matter as Crable went to the IR.

Also another observation, at NFL.com Brandt has posted his midseason all rookie team. While I do not want to discuss the merit of a story like that it is nice to see both Mayo and Guyton both getting recognized as solid rookie performers

Last edited:
I am definitely one of the people that has wanted to see Crable on the field. While I agree that replacing Vrable is an extreme I do think it would have been nice to see him in certain packages. Ofcourse now it does not matter as Crable went to the IR.

Also another observation, at NFL.com Brandt has posted his midseason all rookie team. While I do not want to discuss the merit of a story like that it is nice to see both Mayo and Guyton both getting recognized as solid rookie performers

Obviously you want to see the young guys that you drafted actaully play and hopefully succeed. What gets me going is these people that replace starters with next years draft class before we even draft them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back