PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If your coaching Maroney.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantasic4x50x54x59x55

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Ok slow news time of the year, so I gotta keep it intresting for myself... Imagine your incharge of Maroney and his development of a NFL/Patriot Runningback... do you completely rework his style of play-bulk him up and make him a north/south running back with minimal juking more trucking (A.Smith) or do you Let him keep his current style and let him run with it..A combination of both? (youngER corey dillion)...

** I know, Yeah we drafted him for what he can do already and i highly doubt we will completely transform him..BUT i have a feeling he will be a bit more physical than what he was in college mainly because of our love for physical backs who can churn out the clock in a game...or maybe I just really cant believe The pats are gonna have an elite back who can score from anywhere on the field, with the moves to make opposing defenses trip on their own feet...cause boy has it been awhile since we've seen that***

etheir way you slice it, the youngin is gonna have to pack on a few pounds of muscle regardless of his style of play...

I think the style of play he had in college was much more north south already because of the coaching style he received. He has the ability to cut back as we've seen from numerous highlight films so that's always a great weapon to have. Frankly the way he runs now, if he continues to run north south most of the time, that'll make his cut backs even more dangerous when he does do it. A few cut backs here and there also keeps the defense honest because they can't just rush to the middle all the time because he could burn them big if there is no contain guy.

I personally like the fact that he's got the cut back weapon and I'm looking forward to seeing if he can be as successful with that move in the NFL as he was in college.

I think they picked what they wanted in Maroney. Not a dancer behind the line... hits hole hard. Has explosiveness. Can run inside or break outside. The only thing that is a possible missing piece is the extra bulk everybody wants him to carry, which is not a terrible idea.

A young(er) Dillon pretty much seems to be what they have here, given all I've read about him. One thing I am sure they will coach him on to the point of collapse is blitz pickup - and well they should. The Pats have the luxury of bringing him in nice and slow, assuming Dillon is not mortally wounded.

I think Pats Nation will be pleasantly surprised by Dillon's return to elite status in 07... but if not, I think we'll all be treated to a great glimpse of the future in Maroney. Me, I'd love to see them ride Dillon as in years past, and polish up Maroney for 07 and beyond, while using him to spell Dillon.

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
I think they picked what they wanted in Maroney. Not a dancer behind the line... hits hole hard. Has explosiveness. Can run inside or break outside. The only thing that is a possible missing piece is the extra bulk everybody wants him to carry, which is not a terrible idea.

A young(er) Dillon pretty much seems to be what they have here, given all I've read about him. One thing I am sure they will coach him on to the point of collapse is blitz pickup - and well they should. The Pats have the luxury of bringing him in nice and slow, assuming Dillon is not mortally wounded.

I think Pats Nation will be pleasantly surprised by Dillon's return to elite status in 07... but if not, I think we'll all be treated to a great glimpse of the future in Maroney. Me, I'd love to see them ride Dillon as in years past, and polish up Maroney for 07 and beyond, while using him to spell Dillon.

PFnV

ding ding ding..what i think/want exactly..ESPECIALLY the dillion coming back with a monster year..shush up the haters.

PatsFanInVa said:
I think Pats Nation will be pleasantly surprised by Dillon's return to elite status in 07... PFnV

I hope Dillon returns to elite status sooner than that. ;)

Don't change him! Do not bulk him up either! Let him do what he does best, pick a hole and take it the distance. If they bulk him up, it will ruin him. They drafted him for a reason, a home run threat, not to mess with his body.

THEARCHIVES said:
Don't change him! Do not bulk him up either! Let him do what he does best, pick a hole and take it the distance. If they bulk him up, it will ruin him. They drafted him for a reason, a home run threat, not to mess with his body.
I agree. LET MARONEY BE MARONEY.:)

patsox23 said:
I hope Dillon returns to elite status sooner than that. ;)

Oops. yah make that 06.

PFnV

If you're going to carry the banner of proud and informed Patriot fans, we need to count on you to watch your grammar and think before you type - just as Coach Bill would demand ......:D

Hey, as far as bulking him up goes, nobody can be an every-down back (which we have to have him ready to be,) and be "drafted for one reason, as a home-run threat." If they end up bulking him up some for longevity and durability, I can live with that. He needs to be at least a 1st and second down guy, maybe an "every down" guy, depending on Faulk and any real replacement for Faulk. He also needs to do it for 19 games, including the playoffs and super bowl :)

Don't worry too much... I don't think they'll magically de-explosify him along the way.

PFnV

Brady'sButtBoy said:
If you're going to carry the banner of proud and informed Patriot fans, we need to count on you to watch your grammar and think before you type - just as Coach Bill would demand ......:D

My God, you're right. I did not realize how much the Pats' coaching staff relies on our spell checking, when making crucial personnel or game-planning decisions. In my defense, it was an error of fact (07 vs. 06), rather than of spelling or grammar, that I committed.

With my apologies to a shattered nation,

PFnV

Let the kid be from a running POV. The work will involve teaching proper blocking and learning blitz pickup. If he can;t protect the QB he won't be on the field to run as much.

Last edited by a moderator:
pass blocking and holding on to the rock

patsfan13 said:
Let the kid be from a running POV. The work will involve teaching proper blocking and learning blitz pickup. If he can;t protect the QB he won't be on the field to run as much.
i hope they leave him alone. another but another 5-10 lbs of muscle won't hurt him.
as i recall they didn't throw to him a lot in college, so that'll be a point too.
the college-nfl switch is not easy. he may start dancing in the backfield and in the hole when he realizes what nfl LBs can do. after he learns what they can do, i hope somebody shows him what LBs CANT do. where's scarnecchia coaching this year?
hope he learns about protecting the ball in TC, not the hard way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey