PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If You'd been Visited by Patsfans of the Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownfan80

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I posted this in a thread where it really didn't belong, so I figured I'd throw it up as it's own thread. This is a hypothetical that (hopefully) can help put things back in perspective for the Panic Button folks.

---

Imagine: Right after the loss to Denver in the playoffs last season when you were at your most negative, wondering what happened to Tom Terrific and our bunch of blue collar no mistake players and the magic that had carried us through post-seasons past, some one approaches you. They tell you they've seen the future of the Patriots offseason.

They tell you that it only gets worse after the Denver loss. They tell you that Givens leaves for the money. They tell you that Willie does the same. They tell you that Adam Vinatieri leaves for a little more money and goes to the hated Colts.

At this point you're shocked.

They tell you that both Dwight and Davis leave to rival teams and that once promising Bethel Johnson is traded for a bust DT.

They tell you Branch holds out and creates an enormous distraction that goes sour when the Patriots won't pay him enough to make him forget the 5 year deal he was 'forced' to sign. They tell you that Branch is traded to Seattle for a future 1st rounder, which sounds good until you realize that Brady now has only Troy Brown at his disposal.

They tell you that Brady's trusted WRs are replaced with a 2nd round rookie, a scrap-heap reject, a WR traded in for a 5th rounder, and a street free agent.

They tell you that Rodney Harrison makes it back from his knee injury, but then breaks his shoulder at the midway point.

They tell you that Junior Seau retires, and then unretires to join the Patriots. They tell you that Seau, in all his age, starts for the Patriots at ILB.

They tell you that your depth at CB consists of Ellis Hobbs, Asante Samuel and Chad Scott after Randall Gay is put on IR and Poteat Bongos is dropped and grabbed up by the hated Jets.

They tell you that Tom Brady through half a season posts his lowest passer rating of his career and lowest completion percentage. They tell you that the Patriots start three different players at right tackle depending on the week. They tell you that Billy Yates starts a couple games at Guard.

They tell you that both of your primary ST/backup safeties are lost to IR and that your primary depth at ILB suffers the same fate. They tell you that Troy Brown is playing in the secondary again.

They tell you that the Patriots draft a runningback in the first round even though Manny Lawson is still on the board and have the rookie split carries with Corey Dillon evenly. You remember Corey's days with Rudi Johnson and cringe.

They tell you that the Patriots draft another first day TE. You remember that Graham and Watson are already on the roster and cringe.

They tell you that Troy Brown is the third QB on the roster. You laugh at the mental image of Troy under center.

They tell you that only Troy Brown and the scrap-heap reject WR have a full training camp with Brady. They tell you that the 5th round trade WR and the 2nd round pick Rookie WR both have hamstring issues and miss all but a collective two weeks of TC. They tell you that Ben Watson is the leading reciever on the team.

They tell you that almost the entire media is picking the Dolphins to win the East after they acquire Dante Culpepper.

Having listened to all that, you actually nod. 'We've lost too many players', you think to yourself, 'We're thin in the secondary, we've got ZERO dependable WRs besides 75 year old Troy Brown, and we have no depth at LB.. And Seau is starting??'.. You think to yourself, 'And Corey is splitting time with a rookie?? He must be killing the locker room with his anger, he must have become a cancer like in Cincy. A first round RB?? With a star LB still on the board??' and 'Our OL is banged up again? A rookie starting at RT and a first year player stepping in at G?' and 'Troy Brown at CB -AGAIN-?'

You take a deep breath and imagine how hard the season must have gone for your Patriots. It makes you sort of sad, being that they just lost in the playoffs for the first time in Brady's career.

The visitor from the Future smiles and then tells you the Patriots are actually 6-2 at the midway point and the nearest team in the division is 4-4.

Are you surpised?

Looking back at all that's happened, I would be.

I am.

Last edited:
Great post BrownFan, really well said.

BF80 - there are laws against stealing another fellas work!

;)

Dunno what PFnVa and Box are talking about.

I like it too, BF80.

ps - is that a stoopid video, or what?

Nice post, Brownfan80.

A visitor from February 2010 told me that Brady and Bruschi had just won one for the thumb (no other holdovers from the '01 team still on the roster). Head coach Mike Vrabel was pleased with the SB44 over the Santa Clara 49ers and NFL MVP Alex Smith.

Regards,
Chris

Great post BF80...Great post!

Box_O_Rocks said:
BF80 - there are laws against stealing another fellas work!

;)

Another fella? That guy on Patriots Planet calling himself Brownfan80?? That's still me, that's just FUTURE me.

Brownfan80 said:
Another fella? That guy on Patriots Planet calling himself Brownfan80?? That's still me, that's just FUTURE me.
Gosh, he didn't seem any smarter! :p

Box_O_Rocks said:
Gosh, he didn't seem any smarter! :p

Apparently my future self has taken no further steps towards a proper education. Well, at least he's consistent!

Tunescribe said:
What I'm wondering is whether Brownfan80 made a crank call to BB from the future to set this all in motion. :D

I've hired a hitman in the past to murder you before you reveal this vital information.

Did it work?

What you don't know yet is later in the future you changed your mind and told yourself in the medium future you know what you're about to do, and don't do it. Just be patient.

Either way if the hit man was named Butters, I wouldn't hold my breath.

chris_in_sunnyvale said:
Head coach Mike Vrabel was pleased with the SB44 over the Santa Clara 49ers and NFL MVP Alex Smith.

We all know Vrabel is a genius, but the only way he becomes head coach that soon is if future BF80 mails him some incriminating photos of BB. :D

Seriously, though, I would much rather see Vrabel be HC for the Pats than for the Buckeyes . . . after he goes to Columbus and sets up a Pats pipeline there. :)

Brownfan80 said:
Apparently my future self has taken no further steps towards a proper education. Well, at least he's consistent!
There's a thread for that.

ctpatsfan77 said:
We all know Vrabel is a genius, but the only way he becomes head coach that soon is if future BF80 mails him some incriminating photos of BB. :D

How do you think that whole 'BB the Other Man in NY Divorce' Thread got started??

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited:
I'll take the week off with computer problems any time if you promise more posts like this one! Great job 80!

Wonder what's now brewing in Box's mind? LOL!!

Considering I wrote this on 8/11/06, when much of that had already transpired:

Miami is the quintassential example of a team that had a few breaks to give it a better record than you would expect, and then people using that improper baseline for the following year?s projections.

(Previous examples of this include 04 Bills, 04 Falcons, 03 Dallas and 01 Pats)

That was a 6-10 team last year that caught a few lucky breaks. Just a cursary glance at their ?remarkable? run to end the season shows the following:

* Against SD, even though they had the advantage of knowing every line call (SD?s coaches decided not to change them for this game even though Miami had the ex-OL coach) they barely pulled it out.

* Buffalo blew a 23-3 3rd quarter lead because they started coasting too early.

* Brooks Bollinger had this line at Miami!

C/ATT YDS TD INT
28/42 327 2 0

The Jets had a 1st and 5 on the 14 with just over a minute to go in a game decided by 4 points. Another skate against a bad team.

* And the Pats nearly won playing scond and third stringers for 3 quarters. This included a QB that hadn?t played 3 full quarters since high school, a practice squad WR playing CB, etc.

I see Miami being an improved team, but taking a step backwards recordwise. I will be shocked if they win more than 8 games.

The Jets, on the other hand, are going to win at least 7 games. They were just the opposite in that their record was pushed down due to outside circumstances. Oddly enough, the recent team that they are most similar to is Miami in 2004. And, just as I was surprised at how many people didn?t realize that Miami would certainly win at least 6-7 games just by having a normal camp in 05, the same holds true for the NYJ. As long as they don?t lose Pennington again, they are definitely not a 4-5 win team.

Oh, and even though NE has many more questions than usual, it would take a series of injuries even worse than last year for them to win less than 11 games with their schedule. Take the over.

I can't say that I am surprised at either NE's success or their large AFCE lead. ;)

That said, I think you did a fabulous job of helping us shift our focus from the minor negative points to the overall positive position this team is in. I stil am not convinced that NE isn't the best team in the league. Yes, it perturbs me that NE has looked discombobulated during their two major tests, but for now I can explain each one away. Another and I will have to admit that NE might be a very good, but not great team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back