PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If you were to read these stats, what would you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
OK, lets say you did not see the game, and have not heard, or read, what the final score was and all you have seen are the following stats. (From nfl.com gamebook)

CARDINALS PATRIOTS

First Downs 16 25
Total Yards 245 387
Total Plays 61 78
Net Passing Yards 140 297
Gross Pass Yards 140 316
Net Rushing Yards 105 90
Fumbles/Lost 2-2 0-0
Time of Posession 28:19 31:40

With figures like that, it would appear that the Patriots won the game.

However, what I attribute the major reason for the loss loss to is Josh McDaniels. Sure, there were some bad plays run by the players, but with those numbers, and knowing the end result, it appears to me that the Pats moved the football very well except when it got into the Cardinals half of the field, and for that, I would have to blame the offensive coordinator, who for whatever reason, got outcoached when it mattered the most.

Settling for FOUR field goals is totally unacceptable. And, from memory, I cant recall any particular players in which the players made glaring mistakes that stopped them from going on for touchdowns, instead.

I, for one, thought that McDaniels' play calling was horrendous, pitiful, and no better than high school level.

And, the continued use of the shotgun formation is hurting much more than helping. They may as well write a telegram to the opposition telling them not to worry about us running the ball...

There is time and a place for the shotgun, and using it on almost every offensive play is getting out of hand.

**** McDaniels. He overthrew Gronk and Lloyd. He let his punt get blocked at the three yard line. He let the ball slip right through his hands multiple times. He committed a stupid holding penalty to negative the game-winning TD. He deflected the passes so his WR and TE couldn't catch it. He rolled over Aaron's knee in the first quarter. He missed the game-winning kick.

Football is a team game. Everyone lost today. McDaniels sucked, Brady sucked, ST sucked, Welker sucked. You don't pin a loss on any one person.

McDaniels is the best offensive coordinator for this team.

This is my favorite stat. If you read this stat, who do you think would've won?

PATRIOTS 18

Last edited:
The Patriots played so conservative today. Playing not to lose. My head is still in fumes after this loss and I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight. :mad:

The only stat I care about is wins. If Brady throws for -3000 yards the rest of the season, and we win our next 17 games, I'm fine with that. Stats are for suckers, wins are for winners.

McDaniels was bad but like has been said, this loss isn't on any one person, alot of people sucked today for us. There are still few OC's I'd rather have on the team.

Just like how I felt BB mismanaged the game bigtime at the end, and I'm pretty irate at the strategy, but on any Sunday I wouldn't take another HC over him. Mistakes happen let's just hope the team learns from all the stupidity and sloppiness on the field today.

OK, lets say you did not see the game, and have not heard, or read, what the final score was and all you have seen are the following stats. (From nfl.com gamebook)

CARDINALS PATRIOTS

First Downs 16 25
Total Yards 245 387
Total Plays 61 78
Gross Pass Yards 140 316
Net Rushing Yards 105 90
Fumbles/Lost 2-2 0-0

However, what I attribute the major reason for the loss loss to is Josh McDaniels. Sure, there were some bad plays run by the players, but with those numbers, and knowing the end result, it appears to me that the Pats moved the football very well except when it got into the Cardinals half of the field, and for that, I would have to blame the offensive coordinator, who for whatever reason, got outcoached when it mattered the most.

Settling for FOUR field goals is totally unacceptable. And, from memory, I cant recall any particular players in which the players made glaring mistakes that stopped them from going on for touchdowns, instead.

I, for one, thought that McDaniels' play calling was horrendous, pitiful, and no better than high school level.

And, the continued use of the shotgun formation is hurting much more than helping. They may as well write a telegram to the opposition telling them not to worry about us running the ball...

There is time and a place for the shotgun, and using it on almost every offensive play is getting out of hand.

Are defense is a top 10 defense.

CARDINALS PATRIOTS

First Downs 16 25
Total Yards 245 387
Total Plays 61 78
Gross Pass Yards 140 316
Net Rushing Yards 105 90
Fumbles/Lost 2-2 0-0

Lets chalk this one up to "The team lost, I'm angry, I don't want to trash the players so let me find something intangible to blame"

The blocked punt negates many stats.

Ditto on the middle school call by the scab official.

It's one game. Tomorrow you move on. Next Monday night, two pissed off teams.

Lets chalk this one up to "The team lost, I'm angry, I don't want to trash the players so let me find something intangible to blame"

Excuse me. Who is trashing players. I don't see how, in any way, you can think that.

The original post merely asked a question that if you, or anyone else, had not seen the game, knew nothing about what transpired, and only saw those statistics, who would you, or anyone else, think won the game?

Who is trashing the players? I merely pointed out that, based on those stats, the Patriots would have been thought to have won the game.

Perhaps you should re-read it.

Given the success Ridey was having early on and the Cards stuffing the box to stop the run on 1st down, how bout a couple of play action passes?

Given the success Ridey was having early on and the Cards stuffing the box to stop the run on 1st down, how bout a couple of play action passes?

Bingo!!!!! I said the same thing many times during the game. One thing that I have noticed about McDaniels, for many years now, is that he, for whatever reason, does not like to make changes, or adjustments, mid game..even if what he is calling is not working.

Yes, the opportunity for play action was there when Ridley was running well and yet, McDaniels didnt call any.

I don't get the obsession with the shotgun either. You have a promising RB in Ridley and moving Brady out from under center really takes away the beauty of the 2-TE offense, especially when Brady is under center and the defense has to equally account for run or pass. This is the same coach who decimated Denver's roster (where they lost 20 straight games before he was canned), then went on to lead the NFL's worst offense in St. Louis. Seems to me like the OC may be more like Todd Haley than Charlie Weiss...

If I were to look at the game instead of the numbers, a few things stand out...

1. The OL needs help (Waters?).

2. The receiving corps needs help (Branch and/or Gaffney should have never been cut).

3. The replacement referees blow.

4. The play calling was, at times, conservative.

This loss is on the players, offseason decisions coming home to roost, and the referees blowing the call. Normally, I stick up for the play callers because I feel it's a crutch for a loss. But today is not one of those days. The play calling on offense wasn't a primary reason for the loss, but it was among the reasons.

1. The Pats have MORE talent which is why they had more numbers than the Cardinals. But they wasted it. How many times, I remember 3 drives I think, did the Pats offense get on a roll and then a stupid play call to Woodhead up the middle killed all momentum?
2. Then, with a lucky break by the defense (which played great most of the day) to get you the ball back, you decide to kneel 2 times instead of try to get closer than a 42 yard field goal?
3. Did anyone else notice that Edelman started and played more snaps than Welker? That is insane.

The coaching staff needs to stop trying to get cute and just get the job done.

Excuse me. Who is trashing players. I don't see how, in any way, you can think that.
Read what i said. You want to rail on someone but won't blame the players so you run to the intangible 'play calling'.
Jet fans have used that excuse for 10 years to argue they have good offensive players who look bad because of the OC.

The original post merely asked a question that if you, or anyone else, had not seen the game, knew nothing about what transpired, and only saw those statistics, who would you, or anyone else, think won the game?
No the OP posted stats and then inferred that since the offense had many more yards it must be the OCs fauly.

Who is trashing the players? I merely pointed out that, based on those stats, the Patriots would have been thought to have won the game.

Perhaps you should re-read it.

Perhaps you should reread what I wrote.

There is nothing I hate more than the "blame the coordinator" game everyone plays after a loss. Here are things that played big roles in the loss today that McDaniels had absolutely nothing to do with:

• Brady's ball getting tipped at the line of scrimmage and intercepted on the first offensive play.
  • Hernandez hurting his ankle on the third offensive play of the game and losing him for the rest of the game and much longer.
  • A block punt that gave the Cards a two yard TD drive.
  • Stephen Gregory hitting the ball carrier two yards out of bounds that gave the Cards excellent field position on their only TD drive of any significant length.
  • Brady overthrowing a wide open Gronkowski in the endzone on a deep pass.
  • Welker dropping a crucial third down reception that hit him in his hands.
  • Gronkowski holding (or the refs calling BS holding call) on what would have been the winning TD at the end of the game.
  • The BS false start on Aiken on the snap of the field goal attempt in the second quarter that if the call was correctly called as defensive offsides, the Pats would have had first and goal on the 6 yard line.
There are tons of reasons why the Pats lost this game. The coaching staff was just one of them.

Last edited:
There is nothing I hate more than the "blame the coordinator" game everyone plays after a loss. Here are things that played big roles in the loss today that McDaniels had absolutely nothing to do with:

• Brady's ball getting tipped at the line of scrimmage and intercepted on the first offensive play.
  • Hernandez hurting his ankle on the third offensive play of the game and losing him for the rest of the game and much longer.
  • A block punt that gave the Cards a two yard TD drive.
  • Stephen Gregory hitting the ball carrier two yards out of bounds that gave the Cards excellent field position on their only TD drive of any significant length.
  • Brady overthrowing a wide open Gronkowski in the endzone on a deep pass.
  • Welker dropping a crucial third down reception that hit him in his hands.
  • Gronkowski holding (or the refs calling BS holding call) on what would have been the winning TD at the end of the game.
  • The BS false start on Aiken on the snap of the field goal attempt in the second quarter that if the call was correctly called as defensive offsides, the Pats would have had first and goal on the 6 yard line.
There are tons of reasons why the Pats lost this game. The coaching staff was just one of them.

I second this--it's one of the Jets' fans favorite pastimes.

CARDINALS PATRIOTS

First Downs 16 25
Total Yards 245 387
Total Plays 61 78
Gross Pass Yards 140 316
Net Rushing Yards 105 90
Fumbles/Lost 2-2 0-0

what is with the cherry picking of stats? if you want to make a stat comparison i understand, but use ALL stats

how about the interceptions?, or ST like the blocked punt? lets include penalties just for kicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes