PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If you were Pats management, and Mankins were a free agent, what would you do?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What would you do as Pats management if Mankins were a free agent?

• Do nothing, stick with what we’ve got, we don’t need another guard

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Do nothing with Mankins; fill our need with players that will be available in the next few weeks

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • Offer a mid range contract, well within the team’s range of value for the position

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Offer a contract that’s in the top 10 of guards, but not top 3

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • Offer a top 3 guard contract

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Pay whatever is necessary to get him on the team

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd offer him a one year deal and promise he wouldn't be franchised the following season ala Samuel.

Mankins is just asking for way to much long term but the Pats need him now and will be better equipped to find his replacement next off-season.

I like that approach too.

If there's a lockout next season, a one year deal is not a good deal for Team Logan. Also, what if he gets a Ty Warren possible career ending injury this one year? BIG risk.

They guy is good, but not irreplaceable. Offer him what he is worth, and stick to it.

at the reduced salary of 1.8M, mankins is going to be mad as a bull. I don't think they trust him enough to let him play even if he shows up.

1 year deal? For how much? 8m? no thanks. why reward bad behavior?

Make an example out of him.

I think there's too much bad blood for him to come back here.

I'm not convinced he's a top 3 Guard, but he might be Top 10. At this point though, giving in to a media negotiation weakens the Pats' ability to negotiate in the future.

I think there's too much bad blood for him to come back here.

sterling_street_bridge_burning.jpg

it's not my money so it is easy for me to say offer him one year 7 million will there is no cap get him on the team now and try to work out a long term contract if not let him walk next year and they will get a 3rd round pick thats all they will get in a trade any ways

None of the above.
I think they need to wait him out.
Sitting out a season is not an acceptable solution to Mankins.
It is simply a threat, and the only one he has. You will note he did not say I will sit out and be a UFA next year, he said trade me.
Pats should continue to wait him out. "We made an offer, if you want to make a counter, we will listen. A trade is not an option"
Mankins will come back to the table, sooner rather than later.
The fact that his agent is in the media whining now is clear indication of a softening.
If its all about principle and I will never play there again you dont have an agent saying 'people usually work these things out'.
I can't say the strategy will work. I'm pretty sure the Jet approach of pleading wont either.
I see no point in trading him.

I agree...let him rot. He got a good offer.
Watching the jets management suck up to Revis turns my stomach.

I'm not convinced he's a top 3 Guard, but he might be Top 10. At this point though, giving in to a media negotiation weakens the Pats' ability to negotiate in the future.

sterling_street_bridge_burning.jpg

If you had asked me where I'd rank him after that "performance" in the Super Bowl, I'd probably get run out of here on an electrified rail. I look at him this way... a veteran who plays well with Light and Koppen..reliable regular season performer. A top three guard across all teams in the NFL?...yeah, well I'm a homer but I would never go THAT far.

well youd have to see what mankins is willing to do versus what you are willing to do.

i think the patriots want mankins, but paying a guard tackle money is probably not the beest thing to do for the franchise.

its a tough situation, and us, not knowing whats going on fully, is tough to make a decision.

however, if i didnt think wed be able to work something out, id try to get a cheap, quality DE, a young OL or a nice 1st or 2nd round pick for mankins.

but we dont know the facts so its hard to determine

I agree...let him rot. He got a good offer.
Watching the jets management suck up to Revis turns my stomach.

Can you even imagine BB dribbling that cooing crap coming out of Ryan's mouth?

They already did offer him a top contract. He wants MORE.

screw him. He's not worth breaking the bank for.

I said in predraft that they should trade him. Of course I was labeled and anti-mankins-ite and a troll, a bum, a lousy bum, etc.

At some point Mankins comes back so he can get his accrued season or whatever. At that point, BB should do a "billy batts" on him. "I want what I gotta get...I got mouths to feed" as Mankins is talking to Tommy 'the Gent' Brady, BB comes up behind up Tommy DiSimone like and pistol whips him. "I'm gonna shoot him in his big fn mouth!".

Seriously though, they should suspend Mankins when he shows up. He gets his 1.8M and doesn't have to report. Or they could try the opposite tack and run him ragged in practice, try to fine him to offset his salary. Either way he's not going to see the field.

I said in predraft that they should trade him. Of course I was labeled and anti-mankins-ite and a troll, a bum, a lousy bum, etc.

At some point Mankins comes back so he can get his accrued season or whatever. At that point, BB should do a "billy batts" on him. "I want what I gotta get...I got mouths to feed" as Mankins is talking to Tommy 'the Gent' Brady, BB comes up behind up Tommy DiSimone like and pistol whips him. "I'm gonna shoot him in his big fn mouth!".

Seriously though, they should suspend Mankins when he shows up. He gets his 1.8M and doesn't have to report. Or they could try the opposite tack and run him ragged in practice, try to fine him to offset his salary. Either way he's not going to see the field.
Or they should put our best G on the field and give us a better chance to win.
I guarantee you that no one in the Patriots organization considers Mankins a traitor who has turned his back on them like fans think. Its a business, Mankins is exercising he only options he has to get leverage to get a deal he is happy with. Right or wrong, its a business. There has never to my knowledge been a single player who got a hard time from teammates over a contract dispute.
I don't know how you feel the team will be better by 'getting back at him' by putting a lesser player on the field if he is available so he learns his lesson.

Mankins is in a union that precludes them from doing any of the things you would like them to do. He isn't under contract and he doesn't have to report until week 10 (or three weeks prior to week 10 if as expected they send him a letter that will require him to practice for three weeks before being eligible for a roster spot) IF he wants to be credited with a year of service. He cannot be fined or disciplined for not reporting. He cannnot be suspended except with cause (and not reporting isn't cause in this case because he has a right to not report at all).

Mankins like yourself may be into cutting off the nose to spite the face. Bill isn't. If he reports and he's prepared to play he will play. If he reports and doesn't perform in practice he will be a gameday inactive. If he is insubordinate after he arrives they will document that and move to suspend him. If he feigns injury they will IR him and tell him to go home and herd them cattle. If he interferes with his teamates efforts to field a winning team, they will cut him off like Haynesworth's teamates did. And that would impact his future value. But he knows that and he knows his teamates so he won't pull that crap.

Wow, any of you defending Bauer need to read Reiss's latest at ESPN Boston. Apparently, this gasbag isn't giving his client proper representation. He has NO CLUE about the ins and outs of negotiations. How are the Patriots supposed to negotiate with a clueless agent? It's Mankins' own damn fault that he's represented by a moron. Read this:

Logan Mankins update. Belichick helped clear up a housekeeping-type issue with regard to offensive lineman Logan Mankins. Sunday is reportedly the deadline for teams to send a holdout player a letter informing him of their right to place him on the roster-exempt list, and Mankins’ agent Frank Bauer told the Boston Globe over the weekend: “We haven’t got it yet, but it’ll come. … I would expect them to do everything nasty they can.” Yet since Mankins is not under contract, the Patriots have no cause to send the letter and this reported deadline is not a factor when it comes to the team’s dealings with Mankins.

Wow, any of you defending Bauer need to read Reiss's latest at ESPN Boston. Apparently, this gasbag isn't giving his client proper representation. He has NO CLUE about the ins and outs of negotiations. How are the Patriots supposed to negotiate with a clueless agent? It's Mankins' own damn fault that he's represented by a moron. Read this:

As I just noted in the other thread that you posted this....

Take it up with the Chargers:

They've sent out letters telling the two disgruntled offensive starters that they'll be placed on the roster exempt list if they don't sign their respective one-year tenders by Aug. 20, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune.

The designation makes a player ineligible to play for three games after signing the tender, and the Chargers took this approach with tight end Antonio Gates to get him to report in 2005 when he was holding out.

Chargers send letters to Vincent Jackson, Marcus McNeill | National Football Post

well are they allowed to go billy batts on him then?

So do they keep a roster spot for him? What happens with that? I guess they need a roster spot if and when he signs?

If I were the Pats, I'd give Mankins a fair offer or reiterate it. Top 5-6 guards in the NFL territory.

If he doesn't take it, I would try to add someone.

But I wouldn't worry too much about this. I'd put more emphasis on adding a pass rusher and getting Tom signed (if possible).

Mankins has made this personal and crapped on Kraft. That makes it very hard to address, if not impossible.

Thankfully the Patriots management is NOT overly vindictive and petty like some fans and will most likely gladly accept Mankins back assuming he holds out and only reports to practise the weeks before week 10. Likewise, Mankins pissed off as he is, would most likely do his best to protect fellow professionals Brady, Maroney and whomever. He has no quarrel with those guys and is smart enough to know that.

Are the 2 sides really POed at each other? Most likely. But that happens on occasion where money is involved and perceptions of worth vary considerably.

I am somewhat concerned that the public utterances by Logan's agent don't make me confident in the agent's professionalism and ability to negotiate.

I'd give him a 5 year dead with top 5 guard $ and a new glove for nut punching.

He was already offered a top 5 or whatever contract. He reacted as though he was spat upon. I don't think it's a go.

The question is, what do they do when he comes back and just sulks around the clubhouse like a cancer? I would think they wouldn't want him around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back