PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If you could bring back one former Patriot in their prime...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well thats just not true. The 76 team has some really good players. John Hannah, Leon Gray,
Stanley Morgan, Russ Francis,, Sam Bam Cunningham,Andy Johnson, Don Calhoun, Sam Adams, Pete Brock, Darryl Stingley, Steve Grogan, Randy Vataha.

Mike Haynes, Sugar Bear Hamilton, Richard Bishop, Sam Hunt, Steve Nelson, Tony McGee, George Webster, Julius Adams.

The offense was young and talented, the defense had guys at the end of their careers like McGee, Webster, Bishop but they were good.

Then go to the 85 team. Unbelievable rushing attack. One of my favorite games, crushing Miami in the playoffs. They still had Julius Adams, Pete Brock, Steve Grogan, John Hannah,Stanley Morgan, Steve Nelson, They added Don Blackmon, Rich Camarillo, Ray Clayborn, Tony Collins, Lin Dawson, Tony Franklin, Irving Fryar,, Brian Holloway, Craig James, Roland James, Ronnie Lippett, Fred Marion, Johnny Rembert, Ed Reynolds, Ken sims, Mosi Tatupu, Andre Tippett, Garin Veris, Robert Weathers and Ron Wooten.

Those guys are all good to great. Look them up, search for games.

We could use Julius Adams, Garin Veris, Ray Clayborn, Fred Marion, Steve Nelson, Andre Tippett, Stanley Morgan and many others.

If they had Brady at QB they would have been better than the 07 team. Grogan was good but inconsistent with some games his ball would take off on him.

The 76 team set an NFL record for team rushing yardage which may still stand today. And also had Stanley Morgan and Russ Francis as receivers. They would've rolled to the championship if not for Ben Dreith's call in Oakland.

I saw Haynes and Law play, most all of their games. I'll take Ty Law. I'm prejudiced against Haynes because I still see him falling on his ass in the 78 playoff game. UGH. I liked Ray Clayborn better.

Anyway to answer the original question, I would pick either Law or McGinest. Can't pick between them. They both had the intangible playmaking ability at just the right time. The current team misses their attitude and intuition.

Moss would be the last guy I would take. Yes, he can run long and jump and catch, IF HE FEELS LIKE IT. My memories of Moss in the last year is a non participant. I can't stand the thought of him.

For a WR, I would pick Stanley Morgan.

The 76 team set an NFL record for team rushing yardage which may still stand today. And also had Stanley Morgan and Russ Francis as receivers. They would've rolled to the championship if not for Ben Dreith's call in Oakland.

I always blamed Sam Bam for running out of bounds short of a first down when he should have put his head down, stayed in bounds and he would have kept the clock running and gotten the first down, game over.

Villapiano held Francis on the next play setting the stage for Oakland's comeback.

I saw Haynes and Law play, most all of their games. I'll take Ty Law. I'm prejudiced against Haynes because I still see him falling on his ass in the 78 playoff game. UGH. I liked Ray Clayborn better.

Anyway to answer the original question, I would pick either Law or McGinest. Can't pick between them. They both had the intangible playmaking ability at just the right time. The current team misses their attitude and intuition.

Moss would be the last guy I would take. Yes, he can run long and jump and catch, IF HE FEELS LIKE IT. My memories of Moss in the last year is a non participant. I can't stand the thought of him.

For a WR, I would pick Stanley Morgan.

Brady + Moss = 16-0

Saying he's the last guy you'd take is simply insane.

Stanley Morgan was not on the 76 team. He was drafted in 1977. And it was the 78 team that has the NFL team rushing record.

Moss by a mile.

Hannah, with an added 30# to his in-prime frame would be sweet. As would Tippett.

In ten years the answer to this question will be forever unanimous.

"Tom Brady."

Really wish they made a documentary on the pre-90s Pats. I know there aren't many highlights so it probably won't be too long :rimshot:

The Pats were decent in the 80's (3 playoff appearances) and might have been the original Road Warriors of the NFL in 1985, when they won at the Jets, at the Marcus Allen/Jim Plunkett Raiders and at the Shula/Marino Dolphins. The run was one of the greatest I can remember from any NFL team, and oddly enough included multiple TDs scored by our kickoff team.

It was our tough luck that the 85 Bears was our opponent in the SB. If you thought Seattle was a smothering D then you should have seen the 85 Bears.

Mines easy : Tom Brady

Anyone voting for Ty Law must've never seen Mike Haynes play. He was the all time stud talent in Pats history. Another name I haven't seen mentioned is Raymond Claiborne. He was also better than Law. I loved Ty but he wasn't in their class.

The problem with voting for a lineman is that size is so important and a guy like Hannah didn't have it compared with today's beasts. But at db, Haynes and Clayborn were both in the 6'1-6'2" range, around 200 lbs, great speed, tremendous coverage and return skills.

I'm glad I'm on the right side of the Law vs Haynes choice. This is one time where you can fight the Law and it doesn't win.

I'm sorry I didn't think of Claiborne. He's another good choice.

I always like the talent of Irving Fryar too, but he was pretty immature. Maybe Belichick could do something with him.

Anyone voting for Ty Law must've never seen Mike Haynes play. He was the all time stud talent in Pats history. Another name I haven't seen mentioned is Raymond Claiborne. He was also better than Law. I loved Ty but he wasn't in their class.

The problem with voting for a lineman is that size is so important and a guy like Hannah didn't have it compared with today's beasts. But at db, Haynes and Clayborn were both in the 6'1-6'2" range, around 200 lbs, great speed, tremendous coverage and return skills.

I took Law, and I saw Haynes play.

Law played under BB. Law played under the newest flag-football-style rules, other than the defenseless addition. He's a sure thing, HOF level, CB. Haynes is a question mark in terms of adaptation. I don't feel the need to take that risk when I'm adding to the existing team rather than forming an entirely new group.

I'm glad I'm on the right side of the Law vs Haynes choice. This is one time where you can fight the Law and it doesn't win.

I'm sorry I didn't think of Claiborne. He's another good choice.

I always like the talent of Irving Fryar too, but he was pretty immature. Maybe Belichick could do something with him.

I am picking Law. Because CB in the 70's and 80's were allowed to do a whole lot more than the late 90's and now CB's.

Well thats just not true. The 76 team has some really good players. John Hannah, Leon Gray,
Stanley Morgan, Russ Francis,, Sam Bam Cunningham,Andy Johnson, Don Calhoun, Sam Adams, Pete Brock, Darryl Stingley, Steve Grogan, Randy Vataha.

Mike Haynes, Sugar Bear Hamilton, Richard Bishop, Sam Hunt, Steve Nelson, Tony McGee, George Webster, Julius Adams.

The offense was young and talented, the defense had guys at the end of their careers like McGee, Webster, Bishop but they were good.

Then go to the 85 team. Unbelievable rushing attack. One of my favorite games, crushing Miami in the playoffs. They still had Julius Adams, Pete Brock, Steve Grogan, John Hannah,Stanley Morgan, Steve Nelson, They added Don Blackmon, Rich Camarillo, Ray Clayborn, Tony Collins, Lin Dawson, Tony Franklin, Irving Fryar,, Brian Holloway, Craig James, Roland James, Ronnie Lippett, Fred Marion, Johnny Rembert, Ed Reynolds, Ken sims, Mosi Tatupu, Andre Tippett, Garin Veris, Robert Weathers and Ron Wooten.

Those guys are all good to great. Look them up, search for games.

We could use Julius Adams, Garin Veris, Ray Clayborn, Fred Marion, Steve Nelson, Andre Tippett, Stanley Morgan and many others.

If they had Brady at QB they would have been better than the 07 team. Grogan was good but inconsistent with some games his ball would take off on him.

Thanks p8 for that great trip down memory lane.

The 1976 team was the one that was robbed of a SB by Ben Drieth. The Steelers running game had lost both Rocky Blier and Franco Harris in the other AFC playoff game earlier that day, and Oakland ended up going on to win it all easily. We had to wait exactly 25 years for our revenge, but it was sweet.

Maybe you or someone else can help me with a question I have about the 86 playoff run to the SB. I seem to remember that the Pats kickoff team scored TDs in both the Raiders game and the Dolphins AFC title game, and maybe set up or scored another in one of those games. My question is, did I dream that? :p

I am picking Law. Because CB in the 70's and 80's were allowed to do a whole lot more than the late 90's and now CB's.

The heck with it. Get rid of Talib and bring back both of them.

I took Law, and I saw Haynes play.

Law played under BB. Law played under the newest flag-football-style rules, other than the defenseless addition. He's a sure thing, HOF level, CB. Haynes is a question mark in terms of adaptation. I don't feel the need to take that risk when I'm adding to the existing team rather than forming an entirely new group.

Interesting take. I'd lean toward Haynes who was clearly the superior athlete, although I'd be ecstatic to have either one.

Has to be Moss.

For Defensive line...Richard Seymore!
For linebacker...Tippett!
D-back...Ty Law!
O-line...Hannah, of course!

How about Russ Francis?

DL - Julius Adams

LB - Andre Tippett

DB - Mike Haynes

Maybe you or someone else can help me with a question I have about the 86 playoff run to the SB. I seem to remember that the Pats kickoff team scored TDs in both the Raiders game and the Dolphins AFC title game, and maybe set up or scored another in one of those games. My question is, did I dream that? :p

There were actually three fumbles recovered on Patriot kickoffs and returned for touchdowns.

1. In regular season Game 15 at Miami, NE had scored to cut the Miami lead to 27-20 in the 4th quarter. Cedric Jones recovered/returned the Dolphin fumble on the ensuing kickoff to tie the game. Dolphins went on to win 30-27.

2. In the AFC Wildcard Game at the Meadowlands, after a Tony Franklin FG, Johnny Rembert stripped the ball from jet KR Johnny Hector and returned it for a TD to open up a 23-7 lead. Patriots won 26-14. (Andre Tippet fans may remember that Tippett's brutal hit on jet QB Ken O'Brien late in the first half knocked the jet QB out of the game.)

3. Finally, in the AFC Divisional Playoff Game at Oakland, a Tony Franklin FG tied the game late in the third quarter. On the kickoff, Jim Bowman recovered Sam Seale's fumble in the end zone. That TD was the margin of victory in the Patriots 27-20 win.

So many good ones to choose from.

- Haynes. Much better CB than Law was. Him and Talib together, wow.
- Tippett. Put him opposite Chandler Jones and holy pass rush, Batman.
- Seymour. Just a complete monster on the DL - at DT or DE, either one works for him.
- Hannah. Need big-time help on the interior of that OL.
- Coates. Pair him with Gronk? Yikes.
- Moss. 2007 Moss along with Gronk, Amendola, et al? Unreal.

I'll say Moss, and then spend the rest of the resources on interior OL and defense.

There were actually three fumbles recovered on Patriot kickoffs and returned for touchdowns.

1. In regular season Game 15 at Miami, NE had scored to cut the Miami lead to 27-20 in the 4th quarter. Cedric Jones recovered/returned the Dolphin fumble on the ensuing kickoff to tie the game. Dolphins went on to win 30-27.

2. In the AFC Wildcard Game at the Meadowlands, after a Tony Franklin FG, Johnny Rembert stripped the ball from jet KR Johnny Hector and returned it for a TD to open up a 23-7 lead. Patriots won 26-14. (Andre Tippet fans may remember that Tippett's brutal hit on jet QB Ken O'Brien late in the first half knocked the jet QB out of the game.)

3. Finally, in the AFC Divisional Playoff Game at Oakland, a Tony Franklin FG tied the game late in the third quarter. On the kickoff, Jim Bowman recovered Sam Seale's fumble in the end zone. That TD was the margin of victory in the Patriots 27-20 win.

Do you know who the Special Teams coach was in 1985 season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots