Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If Wilson is unavailable, who should start at free safety?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Who is our best bet to start at free safety?

Personally, I don't think Meriweather is ready and I don't hink Sanders is a free safety.

Well considering that James Sanders was put on the same tier as Wilson and Harrison by BB, I think he'd get the nod. I know he usually plays the strong spot and I'm not sure how his skills would carry over but he's the third best safety overall.

I picked Andrews, who has looked good so far. I'd rather wait on Meriweather and I think Sanders is better suited to Rodney's side. Happy to be wrong on that, though. If Sanders can suitably play FS as well, all the better and I'd want him in the lineup.

I agree that Sanders is the third best safety. That doesn't mean that we wouldn't be better off with Gay at free safety (my choice). I would have Sanders and Meriweather working as nickel and dime backs.

Well considering that James Sanders was put on the same tier as Wilson and Harrison by BB, I think he'd get the nod. I know he usually plays the strong spot and I'm not sure how his skills would carry over but he's the third best safety overall.

Well seeing as Rodney will be playing SS, I don' think he' seven a choice. I would love to see Meriweather back there but I don't think that he is ready yet. So, I am going to go with the guy that Rodney and BB endorses and has some experience in pressure game situations and that's Sanders.

Although I would like to see Mariweather getting on the field, you know when we're up by 24 in the third quarter vs. the jokes.

I voted for Meriweather, I think he would be the natural at the position. Sanders is a SS, and from what I read and hear is not fluid enough to play the position,hes better suited to play SS from what I understand of it.
If Meriweather is fluid enough physicaly to play CB than hes fluid enough to play FS. His position in collage was safety,and I think he'd pick it up quickly.

If Wilson is out for 2-3 weeks his career here may be over, hes hurt to much and can't be relied on to make it a whole season. He'sbeen hurt for two years now,and to be hurt again allready i don't think bodes well for him.

v. Jets = Gay
v. Chargers = Meriweather
v. Bills = Gay

Andrews and Sanders filled in for Wilson when he went down. I would guess one of them would get first shot. But Gay is our best non-starting DB at this point and has FS experience. I think Meriweather has a way to go before he could start. He played primarily CB all training camp and preseason and I don't know if he will be comfortable enough in the Pats' defense at the FS position to start right away. The Pats do have a complicated defense.

I voted for Meriweather, I think he would be the natural at the position. Sanders is a SS, and from what I read and hear is not fluid enough to play the position,hes better suited to play SS from what I understand of it.
If Meriweather is fluid enough physicaly to play CB than hes fluid enough to play FS. His position in collage was safety,and I think he'd pick it up quickly.

I don't think the knock is that he's not fluid enough or versatile enough, it's that he's too new. He looks like a world-beater until you think about how very good rookies look lost sometimes in a complex and FAST pro game.

He might be one of the exceptions, if they play him. But if they don't it's not because he cant play the position -- it's because he's got enough to absorb being a first-year guy in the system. But in college, his strength was versatility. I think he played just about every position where your hand isn't on the ground.

PFnV

I don't think the knock is that he's not fluid enough or versatile enough, it's that he's too new. He looks like a world-beater until you think about how very good rookies look lost sometimes in a complex and FAST pro game.

He might be one of the exceptions, if they play him. But if they don't it's not because he cant play the position -- it's because he's got enough to absorb being a first-year guy in the system. But in college, his strength was versatility. I think he played just about every position where your hand isn't on the ground.

PFnV
I'm saying that of all the safety's he (Meriweather) is the most fluid,with the best speed, and coverage skills. I know there would be a learning curve,but Wilson did it in his first year and Wilson was paying out of position. I'd give him a shot and if he couldn't handle it (i think we'ed know pretty quickly) than pull him and put Sanders,or Gay in there.

Last edited:
Voted for Meriweather, for no other reason than would like to see a 1st round draft pick get integrated right into our secondary...

I'm saying that of all the safety's he (Meriweather) is the most fluid,with the best speed, and coverage skills. I know there would be a learning curve,but Wilson did it in his first year and Wilson was paying out of position. I'd give him a shot and if he couldn't handle it (i think we'ed know pretty quickly) than pull him and put Sanders,or Gay in there.

Gotcha, Blue, and don't think I can really argue. All I was presenting was the devil's advocate case.

This has me thinking... I wonder what odd beasts have been cooked up in the laboratory of the Mad Dr. Belichick during the offseason, with pieces like Adalius Thomas and Meriwether to play with...

Personally, I don't think Meriweather is ready and I don't think Sanders is a free safety.

Exactly, which makes the question so tough. But I'd probably still go Sanders, I just don't see anyone else I'd put in over him.

I'm really surprised so many people picked Meriweather... I'm almost positive he won't start immediately.

Last edited:
Sanders.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back