PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Wilhite plays, we lose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither Wilhite nor Butler can play with their back to the QB. They do not turn to look for the ball, and they don't play the receiver's eyes as it arrives. At least next week they will only be in the slot, but look for our opponent to send their slot receiver on a corner route. And what about another broken coverage? I had hoped we left those in NO, or they were fixed by benching McGowan. But this mix-up was with Sanders and Mayo. And speaking of ILBs...has anyone seen Guyton this year?

That's true. You always see their backs as the ball is close to the WR. If you see Revis (jets), he runs with his back to the WR.

Maybe they need better coaching by the WR-coach..

Neither Wilhite nor Butler can play with their back to the QB. They do not turn to look for the ball, and they don't play the receiver's eyes as it arrives. At least next week they will only be in the slot, but look for our opponent to send their slot receiver on a corner route. And what about another broken coverage? I had hoped we left those in NO, or they were fixed by benching McGowan. But this mix-up was with Sanders and Mayo. And speaking of ILBs...has anyone seen Guyton this year?

Butler had perfect position on the ball when AJ was running down the sideline (the one that was slightly underthrown). On his PI call, he didnt' even touch the defender who was grabbing Butlers arms. The problem was he wasn't looking at the ball which is why the flag was thrown. So far, he's looked pretty good. I would love to had Bodden and Butler as the starting CBs. Whilite is consistently getting torched and would be better suited in the nickel at this point. Springs should move ahead of him on the depth chart.

Comments like this are just asinine. Wilhite and Slater both play regularly on special teams. Slater is one of the best on the Patriots. Wilhite has been a starter at corner.

So many people in this thread whine and complain about every little thing. In fact, its about the only thing you people seem to contribute. Whining... Can't make for very imaginative lives..
A second round draft pick in his second season should not be rotting on the bench. A third round draft pick should not be cut after one season with the New England Patriots. As for special teams players, Alexander, Woods, and Guyton were undrafted free agents. During the Belichick era, there have been major contributors to the success of the New England Patriots from the fourth round.

National Football League: NFL Draft History Full Draft - by Team

A second round draft pick in his second season should not be rotting on the bench. A third round draft pick should not be cut after one season with the New England Patriots. As for special teams players, Alexander, Woods, and Guyton were undrafted free agents. During the Belichick era, there have been major contributors to the success of the New England Patriots from the fourth round.

National Football League: NFL Draft History Full Draft - by Team

Who says a 2nd round pick shouldn't be on the bench? Especially if there are 4 other players ahead of him? As for a 3rd round QB getting cut? It happens. A lot more than you are willing to admit.

Who cares that Woods, Guyton and Alexander were UDFA. It has NOTHING to do with your argument. You were whining like a little girl about Slater and Wilhite, amongst others. The fact that you are complaining about guys like Ruud and Slater just goes further to show you are bringing nothing to the table other than complaining. I think there is a one in 10 chance that a 7th rounder makes a team, never mind contributes.. You'll have to look up Casserly's report on it.

Slater is one of the best special teamers the Pats have. He plays on all 6 special teams units.

Wheatley, Crable, O'Connell, Wilhite, Slater, and Rudd have not made major contributions to the 2009 New England Patriots. Wheatley has been inactive lately and Wilhite was completely toasted today.

wilhite hasn't contributed to 2009 season. You know he has played in every game bar 1 right? starting 8 with 2 int's. What is your mark for contributing again? because well said

Who says a 2nd round pick shouldn't be on the bench?
A simply pathetic excuse especially when the New England Patriots defense collapses once again in the fourth quarter on the road.

Especially if there are 4 other players ahead of him?
Wilhite was picked on unmercifully in the fourth quarter of the Houston Texans game and was one of the main reasons for the Patriots defensive collapse. Bench Wilhite and either start Wheatley or Butler.

As for a 3rd round QB getting cut? It happens.
Meanwhile the New England Patriots desperately need help at wide receiver (Aiken, Stanback, Slater?) especially since Stallworth was not re-signed after the 2007 NFL Season and Gaffney was not re-signed after the 2008 NFL Season. Funny how Matt Gutierrez lasted longer with the New England Patriots as an undrafted free agent.

Who cares that Woods, Guyton and Alexander were UDFA. It has NOTHING to do with your argument..
It has everything to do with my argument since special teams players can be found as undrafted free agents (Alexander, Wright, Woods, Guyton) for example.

The fact that you are complaining about guys like Ruud just goes further to show you are bringing nothing to the table other than complaining. I think there is a one in 10 chance that a 7th rounder makes a team, never mind contributes..
Patrick Pass in 2000, David Givens in 2002, Tully Banta-Cain in 2003, Matt Cassell in 2005, Willie Andrews in 2006 (prior to his drug bust) all say hi.

Last edited:
As the OP, I'll say it again. If Wilhite plays, we LOSE.

QB12

wilhite hasn't contributed to 2009 season. You know he has played in every game bar 1 right? starting 8 with 2 int's. What is your mark for contributing again? because well said
Wilhite stinks! You get it?

Wilhite reminds me a lot of Revis in his rookie year. Revis gave up some big plays and was always in position but didn't make plays on the ball. Obviously, he's blossomed into the best cover corner in the league who can make a ton of plays on the ball now.

I think Wilhite has the potential to be a great corner for us because of his ability to stay with his man due to his great movement and fluid hips. He's just got to work on his ball skills like Revis did.

It also doesn't help when you are playing 5-10 yards off the guy based on scheme or whatever. I think we went a little vanilla today on defense b/c the game didn't mean anything.

You can't be serious.

This guy sucks period.

Not true. I have never played the game outside of my backyard, but I was told that "fluid hips" = great corner.
Mr. Wilhite has hips like jello.

Last edited:

On 2 of those plays Wilhite gave up, he expected safety help over the top and it wasnt there. On the 3rd, safety help was there but was too far off; even so, Wilhite was 2 steps away from being able to undercut the route for an interception. Lack of safety help has been an issue all year, as our safeties are too quick to jump play-action, and too slow to react to deep receivers. Indy and NO games are perfect examples. Remember the wide-open receiver on NO's long TD pass....Meriweather's fault.

Our CB's have taken way too much blame for poor safety play and lack of a passrush. Improve those 2 elements and our CB's will look all-pro.

boy am i glad i found this thread Wilhite is by far the worst corner in the league he has no sense for when the ball is coming he is just an absolute sham i can't even see how this guy got drafted or how we continue to play him i think BB started to enjoy seeing him fail and can't wait to bash him with gametape. when I was at pat's training camp I can recall BB yelling at two guys throughout practice Wilhite and Wheatley I completely understand why now.

You can't be serious.

I'm by no means saying he is as talented as Revis, I'm just saying Revis has the same problems in his first full year when I watched him play with the Jets. He was often very close to his guy but he often seemed to have his back to the ball.

I'm not saying Wilhite is going to be the next Revis, I'm saying give the kid some time to work out the kinks in his game. I think Wilhite has the potential to develop into a good cover corner for us as he continues to work on his game. I see the potential, but he's not there yet. Same thing with Butler. The potential is there, but he's not there yet.

Wilhite reminds me a lot of Revis in his rookie year. Revis gave up some big plays and was always in position but didn't make plays on the ball. Obviously, he's blossomed into the best cover corner in the league who can make a ton of plays on the ball now.

I think Wilhite has the potential to be a great corner for us because of his ability to stay with his man due to his great movement and fluid hips. He's just got to work on his ball skills like Revis did.

It also doesn't help when you are playing 5-10 yards off the guy based on scheme or whatever. I think we went a little vanilla today on defense b/c the game didn't mean anything.
First, Wilhite is not a rookie. Second, Wilhite has regressed as the season progressed.

boy am i glad i found this thread Wilhite is by far the worst corner in the league he has no sense for when the ball is coming he is just an absolute sham i can't even see how this guy got drafted or how we continue to play him i think BB started to enjoy seeing him fail and can't wait to bash him with gametape. when I was at pat's training camp I can recall BB yelling at two guys throughout practice Wilhite and Wheatley I completely understand why now.

You're an ass.

The Training Camp thing is flat out wrong.

Wilhite was promoted to Starter at the beginning of camp and PFW, Reiss and Chris Price all said how Wilhite had improved from last year and got better as camp went on.

Best thread ever?

I'm by no means saying he is as talented as Revis, I'm just saying Revis has the same problems in his first full year when I watched him play with the Jets. He was often very close to his guy but he often seemed to have his back to the ball.

I'm not saying Wilhite is going to be the next Revis, I'm saying give the kid some time to work out the kinks in his game. I think Wilhite has the potential to develop into a good cover corner for us as he continues to work on his game. I see the potential, but he's not there yet. Same thing with Butler. The potential is there, but he's not there yet.

Thank you for injecting some reason into this thread. How dare a 4th round pick not play like a seasoned veteran in his second season? Bare in mind Asante was "at best a nickel" and a "bust" coming out of the 4th round until what? His fourth year?

I swear, some people here have the patience of a 2 year old.

Bare in mind Asante was "at best a nickel" and a "bust" coming out of the 4th round until what? His fourth year?

Bust my arse! Asante Samuel started all three games in the 2004 NFL Playoffs. Meanwhile, Randall Gay started all three games in the 2004 NFL Playoffs and Randall Gay was an undrafted rookie cornerback.

Thank you for injecting some reason into this thread. How dare a 4th round pick not play like a seasoned veteran in his second season? Bare in mind Asante was "at best a nickel" and a "bust" coming out of the 4th round until what? His fourth year?

Likewise sir. It's amazing how little patience some people have. The Asante comparison is a perfect example. Wilhite has gone through some ups and downs which are expected from a young player, but I see a lot of potential in him. Maybe I'm delusional, or maybe other fans on this board are overreacting and are jumping ship too soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes