PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Weis and Haley can't coexist, Neither can Haley+McDaniels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes he was assistant HC - But as the coach of DB's he did report to the the DC, Al Groh.

May take is he reported to Tuna, but dotted lined to Groh. Helped him with strategy, game plan, etc. BB blew Groh out of the water as a defensive coach which is why Tuna hauled him in after Modell wacked him.

May take is he reported to Tuna, but dotted lined to Groh. Helped him with strategy, game plan, etc. BB blew Groh out of the water as a defensive coach which is why Tuna hauled him in after Modell wacked him.

Yeah semantics I guess. And yeah, actually a very smart move by Parcells! Our secondary was a mess before BB got here. Mixed up coverages left recievers wide open game after game. So do you remember the 4t and 1?

I would like to see Weis or McDaniels or both come back at any position (recievers, running backs, tight ends whatever). Don't think they would do it? When Bill B got fired in Cleveland he went back with Parcells as the DB coach under Al Groh. Smart move by Bill. Why waste you time arguing with some clueless turd just to build a resume?

Bill was the assistant HC and DB's coach and largely out of deference to Groh because Bill was the defacto DC. Neither Charlie nor RAC nor Josh will be coming back here any time soon, although Eric could be if he's finally been humbled... BoB will get the OC mantle this offseason because he's earned it. One of Matt Patricia or Pepper will get the DC mantle if Bill believes they have earned it. We already have an assistant HC here in Dante. Josh can write his own ticket as an OC in the NFL or NCAA and come back as a HC in a couple of years. Or maybe an asst. HC here.

Reportedly Charlie and Haley have been butting heads all season. Charlie wants autonomy over the offense (something he didn't necessarily have here but under a defensive HC who respected him and didn't interfere or second guess like Tuna and apparently Haley). You could see trouble lurking just under the surface earlier this season when Haley nearly blew a couple of games with his aggressiveness. Charlie knows this is a building process and he's got that team peaking down the stretch instead of fried.

In KC they seem to think Josh is gonna step in and work under the jerk who mocked him after they beat KC early this season. Can't imagine that happening. Pioli should have taken a firmer hand with Haley out of the gate, guys an egotistical loose cannon and those don't make great system coaching fits. Charlie has an ego too, and Scott knew that, but Charlie also knows how to win with this system. After the way Haley handled the offense last season he's lucky he has a QB of Cassel's capacity left to work with.

Pioli should have taken a firmer hand with Haley out of the gate said:
Pioli's first mistake. Actually the previous poster has it right. Fire Haley and make Weis the HC. He is ten times the coach Haley is at ANY position. He once coached Ray friggin Lucas to be one of the best QB's in the league!! He also coached tight ends. Guess who was one of those players?

So do you remember the 4t and 1?

Nope but I remember this....

The secondary got a major lift in the 1996 draft as Milloy came in the 2nd round. Ty just finished his rookie year. Big Play Clay was signed away from Detroit and O-T-I-S was pulled of the scrap heap from Philly. You had Scooter McGruder and Jerome Henderson playing nickle and dime. So essentially, the secondary went from I think 12 INTs in 95 to 24 or so in 96.

BB did a GREAT job, but they also had a major talent upgrade to go along with it.

Last edited:
If I were the Chiefs I'd probably fire Haley, promote Weis, and bring in McDaniels as OC.

They were awful last year when Haley took over playcalling duties from Gailey, not sure he serves on purpose on that staff if he can't get along with the coordinators.

If I were the Chiefs I'd probably fire Haley, promote Weis, and bring in McDaniels as OC.

They were awful last year when Haley took over playcalling duties from Gailey, not sure he serves on purpose on that staff if he can't get along with the coordinators.

Actually, I'd promote Crennel, with one of two fiery OCs under him -- Weis if he can keep him, Josh if Weis insists on moving on.

And I'd encourage RAC to be his own DC for at least a year.

I don't know what went wrong for RAC in Cleveland, other than personnel, but basically I'd try to construct a team in which he could be a successful HC without a lot of uncharacteristic chest-beating about how in control he is, something that seems to almost be a HC requirement but which he may not be good at.

Last edited:
Actually, I'd promote Crennel, with one of two fiery OCs under him -- Weis if he can keep him, Josh if Weis insists on moving on.

And I'd encourage RAC to be his own DC for at least a year.

I don't know what went wrong for RAC in Cleveland, other than personnel, but basically I'd try to construct a team in which he could be a successful HC without a lot of uncharacteristic chest-beating about how in control he is, something that seems to almost be a HC requirement but which he may not be good at.

I'd probably agree with this.

Ultimately, if the choice between Haley and Weiss were mutually exclusive, I would choose Weiss. But who knows, it may not have to do with Haley at all, Weiss might just want to go back to college for personal reasons.

I would have thought Kontra would be all over the place in this thread :confused3:

maybe he started celebrating New Years early when he heard this news. :cool:

Nope but I remember this....

The secondary got a major lift in the 1996 draft as Milloy came in the 2nd round. Ty just finished his rookie year. Big Play Clay was signed away from Detroit and O-T-I-S was pulled of the scrap heap from Philly. You had Scooter McGruder and Jerome Henderson playing nickle and dime. So essentially, the secondary went from I think 12 INTs in 95 to 24 or so in 96.

BB did a GREAT job, but they also had a major talent upgrade to go along with it.

Well the REAL Robert Weathers was the BJGE of his time. On 4th an inches from about 40 yards out he hit the pile and bouced it outside for a TD. BB would have loved him and Johnny Rembert too.

I could also modify my suggestion to have RAC as HC, with Mangini as his DC.

Florida is clearly not screwing around. They're also hiring Dan Quinn away from the Seahawks.

Well the REAL Robert Weathers was the BJGE of his time. On 4th an inches from about 40 yards out he hit the pile and bouced it outside for a TD. BB would have loved him and Johnny Rembert too.

I thought you were referring to 96.

Yes- AFCCG in Mia. 2nd qtr. I had the best game of my career.

I was also a bust from U of A but thats besides the point :D

So, I guess this means UF is still our farm team?

I'm OK with that. :)

UF also just hired UMiami's recruiting coordinator, so he should help make sure the farm team is well-stocked for the next few years.

I would have thought Kontra would be all over the place in this thread :confused3:

maybe he started celebrating New Years early when he heard this news. :cool:

I was on a long road trip and away from a computer when the news came out, but I did one of these...

:rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye