PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If we win on Sunday, do we rest starters against Houston?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
If we win next Sunday, obviously we wrap up the division. I wonder if Belichick has any preference for the third or fourth seed and even if he doesn't will he rest Brady and other banged-up starters or look at the Texans game as a playoff preparation game and go all out?

No. I don't think they will rest starters unless the game gets out of hand either way. The young players need all the playing time they can get (the young starters that is).

As for the third or fourth seed, too much has yet to be determined and that will still be the case heading into the Houston game. Frankly speaking, at Indianapolis and at SD will both be daunting tasks. Regarding the colts, I wouldn't be so confident. Just think - what if the Colts actually start off strong and don't get down early, which they will make a point of doing for sure? :eek:

Last edited:
If there's nothing on the line in the Houston game, I would rather see Brady play a series or two then sit out for the rest of the game.

I think our goals are:

1. Win the division. This is accomplished if we beat Jax.

2. Get back in playoff form. We have some work do on this on both sides of the ball to accomplish this. This argues against resting starters.

3. Be healthy for the playoffs. This argues in favor of resting starters.

#2 and #3 are somewhat at odds with one another. A lot depends on how the team plays against Jacksonville, and how banged up we are.

I don't care if the Colts went 16-0 in the regular season and Manning threw 100 TDs...they're a different team in the playoffs. Even Gary Brackett made a comment about how now that they're the only team left undefeated, they're getting more media attention and he doesn't think it's good for the team.

The 2007 Pats didn't lose because of the pressure, they lost because they were arrogant and overconfident that they'd just walk in and beat a 6th seed.

For completely selfish reasons, I hope the starters aren't rested since I'll get to go to this game!

If we get some momentum against the Jags and shred 'em. Than this should be the case. If we win ugly like the 2009 Pats have done every game but 1, we should try to get as hot as possible before the playoffs, but maybe take a rest at halftime if we've already achieved this.

If the #2 seed is completely GONE...and you're comfortable with your team heading into the playoffs (speaking to the Org) then i think we'll have a situation ala 2005 against Miami.

IF...and I know it's a reach....BUT IF that 2 seed is still a shot then go for it all and put the pressure on SD to beat the skins later that day. (SD would have had to lose at TEN xmas night as well and cincy would have to trip up along the way too).

The BYE IS HUGE....can't stress it enough. I know it's a very long shot but if it's still attainable at Houston, play em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back