PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If we want TE Help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read three times: we have no guards beyond this coming year. To me, this is an issue. We carry five interior linemen. One needs to be a veteran backup at guard and center. At very least, we need to re-sign Hochstein and sign a prospect or two to press Yates and Connolly for the last spot. Belichick has used a range of draft picks and UDFA's to find the prospects for Dante's Academy.

MG - You continue to say that the Patriots have no guard beyond this year and its not a totally true statement.

With the current CBA situation, Mankins is a RFA. Which means he's not going anywhere. Dan Connolly and Yates would also be RFA. Again it means they aren't going anywhere. I don't know how long the contract is that Wendell just signed.

Do they need to get Neal's replacement? Yes. They do and I expect it to be in this year's draft. We've agree on that. But I don't believe the situation is as dire as you are making it out to be when the Pats control the fate of Mankins and Yates. Especially when everyone in the league is going to be in a similar situation.

IF and when Brady come back we need to solidify the edges. I do not like Kaczur at all. There were reports that he did not have the passion for the position. I would rather have a guy like Unger who can play up and down the line and is an upgrade to the right side of the line. If not Unger get Herman Johnson (LSU) or LoadHolt for RT and maybe bring in Goff from San Diego to play right guard.

yah i agree. i think that we would be very smart to upgrade at OT. hopefully we can find one sometime this offseason

You suggest drafting as if there will be no new CBA agreement, and with no provisions in case there is. Personally I believe that playing under the current agreement in 2010 is much less than 50%. You choose, and it is your choice, to presume that Mankins will be an RFA next year. Sure, you can have Wendell start! He won't make the 2009 team, and you know it.

Every team has different needs. Again, many GM's may choose believe that 2010 will be a non-cap year. I suppose if enough do so, they will have glaring holes in their 2010 rosters and will be unlikely to sign an agreement which changes the special 2010 RFA and cap rules.

Personally, I believe that we have one the very top organizations in football, and will address these issues. You well understand the importance of adding a guard or two, or at least you understand this when posting in other threads. If you believe that there are no guards worth drafting in the first three rounds, just say so. If you believe that there are many starters just waiting to be drafted in the 4th and 5th round, that's fine.

I understand that we can lucky with late round offesnive linemen. After all, Koppen starts for us. On the other hand, another six such draftees don't start for anyone.

MG - You continue to say that the Patriots have no guard beyond this year and its not a totally true statement.

With the current CBA situation, Mankins is a RFA. Which means he's not going anywhere. Dan Connolly and Yates would also be RFA. Again it means they aren't going anywhere. I don't know how long the contract is that Wendell just signed.

Do they need to get Neal's replacement? Yes. They do and I expect it to be in this year's draft. We've agree on that. But I don't believe the situation is as dire as you are making it out to be when the Pats control the fate of Mankins and Yates. Especially when everyone in the league is going to be in a similar situation.

Kaczur is no like on this board. Thankfully for him, we don't make personnel decisions. Kaczur has been starting since he got here. He would be long gone if Dante thought he couldn't do the job. That being said, drafting an OT to replace Britt is a fine idea.

IF and when Brady come back we need to solidify the edges. I do not like Kaczur at all. There were reports that he did not have the passion for the position. I would rather have a guy like Unger who can play up and down the line and is an upgrade to the right side of the line. If not Unger get Herman Johnson (LSU) or LoadHolt for RT and maybe bring in Goff from San Diego to play right guard.

You suggest drafting as if there will be no new CBA agreement, and with no provisions in case there is. Personally I believe that playing under the current agreement in 2010 is much less than 50%. You choose, and it is your choice, to presume that Mankins will be an RFA next year. Sure, you can have Wendell start! He won't make the 2009 team, and you know it.

MG - I can not see the future and neither can you. Neither of us know what will happen. So for you to say that Wendell won't even make the 2009 roster is just dumb.

And you've read my analysis WRONG. I have not suggested drafting as if there is no new CBA agreement and you are wrong with your assessment that I have not put in provisions in case there is. You keep making jackass statements when I have OG weighed as my #2 concern.

Every team has different needs. Again, many GM's may choose believe that 2010 will be a non-cap year. I suppose if enough do so, they will have glaring holes in their 2010 rosters and will be unlikely to sign an agreement which changes the special 2010 RFA and cap rules.

You keep talking like EVERY TEAM isn't in the exact same boat as the Patriots. You keep going on and on about things and ignoring the fact that it hasn't happened yet. You also ignore the fact that, after the last extension, teams were given time to sign their own free agents before those free agents went on the market.

Personally, I believe that we have one the very top organizations in football, and will address these issues. You well understand the importance of adding a guard or two, or at least you understand this when posting in other threads. If you believe that there are no guards worth drafting in the first three rounds, just say so. If you believe that there are many starters just waiting to be drafted in the 4th and 5th round, that's fine.

Why are you making sh!t up? Where I have said ANYTHING about the level of talent at guard in this draft?

I understand that we can lucky with late round offesnive linemen. After all, Koppen starts for us. On the other hand, another six such draftees don't start for anyone.

Actually, beyond Koppen, the Pats have only taken 5 O-linemen in the 4th round or later. They are Elgin, Oldenburg, Hilliard, O'Callaghan, and Stevenson. And, of those 5, O'Callaghan did start for the Patriots. The other 4, have spent time on other teams practice squads.

But that doesn't prove your point whatsoever. And you using exaggerations like that idiot Bigglesworth doesn't help you prove your point either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back