PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If we sign Stallworth is this the end of Troy Brown..???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Welker is a nice pick up, not a number 1 threat.. And Stallworth should be number 1 if he is signed going into camp.. So here would be our WR

1 Stallworth
2 Gaffney
3 Welker
4 Caldwell
5 Jackson
6 Kight
7 Childress

With the glut at Wr, although we never have enough, Troy Brown may be done, but I think listening to Peter King on EEI, the Pats may want him back for 1 more yr.. Now we may not get Stallworth( oh i hope we do) , and Jackson is a big question mark , so there still may be room for him, but do you think Brown would come back for 1 more shot at a ring...

Welker is a nice pick up, not a number 1 threat.. And Stallworth should be number 1 if he is signed going into camp.. So here would be our WR

1 Stallworth
2 Gaffney
3 Welker
4 Caldwell
5 Jackson
6 Kight
7 Childress

With the glut at Wr, although we never have enough, Troy Brown may be done, but I think listening to Peter King on EEI, the Pats may want him back for 1 more yr.. Now we may not get Stallworth( oh i hope we do) , and Jackson is a big question mark , so there still may be room for him, but do you think Brown would come back for 1 more shot at a ring...

Yea.....as a coach.

I also forgot about we have Johnathan Smith as well, but I will always have room for Troy Brown on my team..

Although we usually keep 5 WR we could keep 6 especially with Jackson's status. Jackson may even by PUPed early in the season.

We still need Troy, the jack of all trades. For depth in WR, CB, PR, QB, etc.
Go Troy. Go Pats:rocker:

If Troy decides to retire I would hope they find him a position in some sort of capacity with the team. He is one of the greatest to wear a Pat's uniform in it's history.

1 Stallworth
2 Gaffney
3 Welker
4 Caldwell
5 Jackson
6 Kight
7 Childress

Kite and Childress can reside on the PS. Jackson is not a lock to make the roster by opening day - he could easily start the season on PUP if he's PUPed for TC, and Troy - if he wants another season - is extremely valuable because of his versatility. Don't be surprised if we don't start the season without a 3rd QB again - it's not like Vinny was ever really needed.

I think Brady and BB would both like to have three returning WRs who are better than Childress and Kight.

I think Troy is back if he wants to be.

Exception -- if one of Kight or Childress does surprisingly well in the early part of the off-season -- and if Stallworth and Welker are on board and looking good -- there might not be a spot for Troy.

I.e., I think Troy is back unless the Pats have at least 6 guys ahead of him, counting the injury/skill risk Jackson and the drug risk Stallworth.

Stallworth,Welker,Gaffney,Caldwell,Brown
PUP or 6th WR: Jackson
===============================
Brown has this spot if he wants it. I don't see Kight or Childress beating out Brown for a roster spot.

I think Brady and BB would both like to have three returning WRs who are better than Childress and Kight.

I think Troy is back if he wants to be.

I.e., I think Troy is back unless the Pats have at least 6 guys ahead of him, counting the injury/skill risk Jackson and the drug risk Stallworth.

I think because of troys veratility there is room for him but he may not want to come back and be 5 or 6 on the depth chart.

xfactor to all this is the draft, while there is still room even if we bring in stallworth there may not be after the draft.

I hope he does come back as he is the second greatest patriot in team history behind only Tom. No disrespect to the great ones of the past but troy has done everything the pats have asked holds many Pats records and oh yeah has 3 rings. so Pah Pah Pah Please come back.

I think Troy retires no matter who we sign. He has been on the fence the last few years and he will probably do it this year.

Yeah, we'll keep Troy on to tutor the younger receiver(s). I want him signed as a coach immediately after he retires though. Class act of a man and you can NEVER ask for anything more out of him. Wes Welker reminds me of him which is why I love Welker so much.

Yeah, I actually think Welker is his replacement. A very similar type of receiver....

I love Troy but I'd rather see him on the sidelines coaching.

I've argued before that for the 2001 Super Bowl run, Troy was the POST-SEASON MVP. He was obviously game MVP in Pittsburgh because of STs, and he had big reception numbers otherwise. And the defensive players only caused one TO each. Obviously Brady and Vinateri are contenders, but if one talks it through, the winner usually is decided to be Troy.

So that makes him an all-time great Patriot right there.

Frankly, what's best for Troy is probably to chill out, rest his body, spend some time with his family, then show up as a volunteer coach and stay in shape. But DON'T file the retirement papers. If the injury bug hits yet again, he can suit up -- and probably play better than he has been in recent years, because he's at an age where his body needs the rest.

Or, since he never made all THAT much money, he might like one more year of a million dollar income, playing the game he loves. It's his call.

Last edited:
I agree. Troy will be in the mix somehow, at least before Kight and Childress, even if we do sign Stallworth.

But I think it is the Welker trade that really tells us that Brown is being replaced. I see Welker being a Pro Bowl caliber returner on Pat's special teams, especially if we have healthy special teams players. Still, Brown makes the top six if he wants.

I think it will be clearer after the draft. If we spend a day one draft pick on a receiver AND sign Stallworth...... Brown's chances of making the team become slim, but you won't catch me saying

"There is no way that Troy Brown makes the team"

okay, how is gaffney our #2? and how are kight, childress, and Jackson higher than Brown on your depth chart? Jackson obv has more potential than brown for next season but brown started every game last season (I think). Brown will have a place on this team until he decides otherwise I think.

The day Troy Brown retires (which I suspect is very soon, judging by the Patriots interest in multiple wide receivers) will be a sad day in Patriots history. I don't think 80 should ever be worn again. While there have been better players to come through this team over the years, I'd have to say that Troy is Mr. Patriot. There will never be another player like him. If he would like to coach our wide receivers (now that Daboll has left, the opening is there), that would be a perfect arrangement, I think. He'd be a great mentor to Welker and Jackson, and if we do bring in a potential problem child like Randy Moss, then he'd be a great influence on them in the locker room.

I see Welker being a Pro Bowl caliber returner on Pat's special teams."

I think this kind of hyperbole is running RAMPANT on this site. Welker had a lower PR average than Faulk last year. And what's so exciting about a 22+ KR average? That seems pretty pedestrian to me. I like the guy, if not the trade, but we need to RELAX a little bit about this. He's a decent little player, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing