PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If we drafted Roach (ILB) & Mincey in the 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
If we had drafted Mincey and Roach in the 4th as some projected, then I guess people would have thought that bb was a genious for address our needs with these two potentail NFL LB's.

Instead, we drafted them in the 6th and as an UDFA, and bb didn't address the linebacker situation. There are several UDFA's who we might have drafted in the 4th or 5th. What does it mean that Havner and Kudla re still available?

mgteich said:
Instead, we drafted them in the 6th and as an UDFA, and bb didn't address the linebacker situation. There are several UDFA's who we might have drafted in the 4th or 5th. What does it mean that Havner and Kudla re still available?

All it means is that teams are still burning up the phone lines calling candidates. If neither are signed by the time that the spring mini camps start, then you might have a point.

It means that the worst athlete's on the defensive side of the ball are true ILB's. While they may have a ball in college...the reality is that they will receive the lowest signing bonus and have little to no job security. a

Any team that wants a true ILB can sign a handfull after the draft and the fans need not worry. More DS and WR selected than ever before...it was evident that the draft has changed.

I also expect to see Havner, Kudla and others in someone's mini-camp, just as you do. The point is that college tweeners who need to be converted to linebackers, especially to a 3-4, may be drafted very, very low, if at all.

Some of our posters had plans for the Round One (they had to have Lawson), or Day One, or in Early Day 2. Some of us, including me, also wanted a backup NT in the 4th or 5th.

-----------------------------

Apparently, bb evaluated these positions, and judged that the 6th was the right time to get these prospects at the right value. We now have prospects Mincey, Smith and Roach on the squad. Perhaps we will have a couple of more front seven players by the end of the day tomorrow.

-------------------------------

I am amazed at this draft. bb now has player #11, and he has added value at each pick. rook has the ten draftees ALL making team. This may be a bit excessive, but this is a fine draft.

--------------------------------

In the end, our disagreement is whether we believe bb when he says we need Maroney more than Lawson. I wanted Lawson at the time, the same as all of us. We will see as the two players develop, and as we see how needs are met. There is question in most minds.

However, the next nine picks after that that were outstanding values, every one of them, and they all potentially filled needs.

It means BB knew that, due to this year's depth at LB, there would be excellent value post-draft. So he used the draft itself to fill up other needs.

mgteich said:
In the end, our disagreement is whether we believe bb when he says we need Maroney more than Lawson. I wanted Lawson at the time, the same as all of us. We will see as the two players develop, and as we see how needs are met. There is question in most minds.
I was ecstatic when Larson was available at 21, and dumbfounded briefly when Maroney was picked.

However, I'm a pretty easy fan, and it didn't take much to have me thinking about the benefits of a fine young RB, both as Dillon's replacement and as extending Dillon's career a year of two by mixing in Maroney.

Also, I still remember that Lynch said the Broncos' game plan was to ignore the run and blitz Brady massively to disrupt the passing game.

That wouldn't have worked if we had had a decent backup RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes