PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

IF...we can't extend Sey, do we trade him before the draft?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What to do with Sey. IF we cant come to terms before draft.

• Trade now while value is highest. (and Draft deep)

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Extend him at ANY cost (10-11m?)

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • Franchise him until...the sun implodes?

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • Lets him goto FA and hope he comes back...(he won't)

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
SaCaCh said:
True, but the his value would be low as we be forced to trade him at that time. Now we would get a 1 and 2-4. Then probably 4-6 rounder only.
The Jets are about to get a #1 for Abraham. Admittedly they could keep him but I think everyone knows they won't.

Move yourself ahead two years, assume Seymour is still healthy and playing at the same level . . . you really think the best we'd get is a #4 ?

Have to trade him or not, we'd get a #1 because about 31 other teams would be fighting to get him. The bigger issue to me is what his attitude would be like being Franchised. His holdout last year showed that he's quietly about to be a disruption.

Trading Seymour now if he isn't interested in an extension is an intriguing idea. He sounds like he might be another one of these guys who thinks offering him the highest contract at his position in the NFL is insulting.

Did anyone else interpret his remarks in the Globe this morning as meaning that he should be paid more than any other DE because he is also asked to play DT? Is the guy looking to be paid a DE salary PLUS a DT salary? :eek:

What the heck. I'm surprised Porky Vinatieri hasn't tried that logic. After all, he's asked to tackle runners every once in a while, too.

hwc said:
Trading Seymour now if he isn't interested in an extension is an intriguing idea. He sounds like he might be another one of these guys who thinks offering him the highest contract at his position in the NFL is insulting.

Did anyone else interpret his remarks in the Globe this morning as meaning that he should be paid more than any other DE because he is also asked to play DT? Is the guy looking to be paid a DE salary PLUS a DT salary? :eek:

What the heck. I'm surprised Porky Vinatieri hasn't tried that logic. After all, he's asked to tackle runners every once in a while, too.
The remarks in the globe certainly are interesting. The future could prove frustrating in regards to #93. The questions pondered in this thread suddenly are very relevant in my opinion. I think he will inevitably price himself right out of NE. Just a matter of when.

NE_PATS_FAN_54 said:
interesting...well if u see that abraham gets a 1st rounder, seymour merits at least a high 1st and a 3rd plus a few other picks. but that would be a last resort and since you can franchise him, there is no reason to trade him.

I agree that it should be a last resort to trade seymour. But, if we are out of other options, I would try to get the Saints #2 pick and draft D'Brickashaw Fergusan. Thats worst case scenario, though. I would still rather keep Seymour.

I'm just sensing an attitude erosion in Richard, that will only get worse if he can't be extended right now when we have all the money in the world, if not now then when???

Last edited:
How about WE SIGN SEYMOUR. Let me guess we cant sign Givens because we we need to sign Seymour, and we cant sign Seymour, because we need to sign warren, and we cant sign Warren because we need to sign Wilfork. If we lose Seymour I willl be sick.

R_T26 said:
How about WE SIGN SEYMOUR. Let me guess we cant sign Givens because we we need to sign Seymour, and we cant sign Seymour, because we need to sign warren, and we cant sign Warren because we need to sign Wilfork. If we lose Seymour I willl be sick.

Well no kidding we all would love to sign him, this is about if we can't.

SaCaCh said:
Well with Sey out we won two playoff games, with Bruschi out we did nothing and practically fell apart. I would push Tedy up a few notches.

I guess winning the Jaguars playoff game without Tedy is nothing ;)

Miguel said:
I guess winning the Jaguars playoff game without Tedy is nothing ;)

You and I at LB could of beaten the Jags...

This is what I think is going to happen.

John Abraham goes to either the Falcons or Seahawks. Seymour's agent will wait until Abraham's contract details are entered into the NFLPA system.Seymour's agent will then know if Abraham's deal tops Kearse's deal as the best ever for a defensive lineman. Seymour's agent will use the better deal as a basis for dealing with the Patriots. The Patriots will then have to decide to make their best offer now or in 2007/2008. I think that the Patriots will make their best offer now and sign Seymour to a huge deal.

Miguel's scenario is exactly right. We'll offer Seymour the highest contract ever given to a DL, and after some negotiations he will sign at least a five year deal.

If Seymour choses not to sign, then I expect that we will franchise him for two years. The money will be about the same for Seymour over the three years. However, there should be anadvantage to Seymour of a large bonus this year and next.

Belichick doesn't let his key players walk. These include: Brady, Seymour, Branch, Bruschi, Vrabel, Harrison. McGinest and Givens were not among them. I'm still confused over Vinatieri, I didn't expect it to go this far, but I'm hoping Pioli knows the market well enough to know Adam will be forced to come back.

If they can't get a contract, they'll franchise Seymour until they can develop enough talent underneath him or around him to absorb the loss. Right now he's the biggest difference-maker in the defense. They need him.

Didn't vote because I didn't see an option for 'sign him to a big contract if possible; if not, franchise until he is no longer the biggest difference-maker next to Brady.'

Last edited:
NE_PATS_FAN_54 said:
best player????? ummm....try number 12.

I'm pretty sure he just said "one of the best". He never said the best. However seeing that many people consider Seymour the best DE/DT in the NFL, it certainly is arguable that he is the best player on our team.

huskeralk said:
I'm pretty sure he just said "one of the best". He never said the best. However seeing that many people consider Seymour the best DE/DT in the NFL, it certainly is arguable that he is the best player on our team.

He said "ONE OF THE BEST", he also pointed out that the majority of his stats were a tDE and the Patriots know this stat better then he does. He also said he knows nothing of a hometown discount, as he lives in SC.

I say without question, if RS is true to what he said, we will sign him to a real nice long term deal.

Seymour sez:

''My thing isn't with being the highest-paid guy," Seymour said. ''I want to be paid fairly. I want to be comfortable. I want to be paid at where I'm at across the league. My value is higher than just a true defensive end with my versatility. I understand that. Nobody across the league does what we do in New England."

What the heck does that mean? He doesn't need to be the highest paid d-lineman, but he needs to be paid more than any defensive end because he is also asked to play other positions on the line? I'm having trouble parsing this because the highest paid d-lineman is currently Jevon Kearse, who is a "true defensive end". Is Seymour really trying to say that he wouldn't consider a Kearse-like deal "fair"? If that's not fair, what's he looking for? Peyton Manning money?

Last edited:
If they franchise him once, he'll grumble. If they do it twice, he'll hold out and demand a trade. Seymour is all about the $$. I'd wait to trade him following next season if they can't sign him. He cannot go to free agency. BB may as well drive him to the airport if it gets that far.

He won't hold out. A holdout would cost him roughly half a million of "respect" per week. Seymour is all about "respect", doncha know!

If he doesn't want to be franchised (and assume 100% of the injury risk), then he should have plenty of motivation to work with the Pats on a win-win extension deal.

Last edited:
hwc said:
He won't hold out. A holdout would cost him roughly half a million of "respect" per week.

Not true. Seymour's 2006 salary is $2,020,000. 2,020,000/17=118,823.53 per week. By holding out for the 1st 10 games and TC, Seymour would give about $1.2 million but would also greatly limit his exposure to an injury.

Miguel said:
Not true. Seymour's 2006 salary is $2,020,000. 2,020,000/17=118,823.53 per week. By holding out for the 1st 10 games and TC, Seymour would give about $1.2 million but would also greatly limit his exposure to an injury.

Miguel:

If the Pats decide that Seymour is going to hold out THIS year, then they will have already determined that they cannot sign him. I would expect that they have already started preparing for this by quietly shopping him. He would be a VERY attractive trade to some crappy team with a high first round pick because they would get him with one year left on his deal at only $2.2 million. Ship his butt to somewhere like Detroit or Arizona and pick up another franchise-type player in the draft. Let them worry about signing him to an extension or dealing with his holdout.

It's not like the Pats would be starting from ground zero on the d-line. Without Seymour, they still have two first round picks at DT and DE.

The beauty of the Pats situation is that Seymour is "money in the bank" because they control his rights for up to four years. There's significant value either as a player or as trade bait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes