PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

IF Washington Releases Patton should the Pats Resign him or Pass?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If David Patton is Released by Washington do you Want the Pats to Resign him or Pass?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

nescott

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
IF Washington Releases Patton Should the Pats resign him or Pass?

Last edited:
How much is he asking for?

That is the Million Dollar Question he was signed to be a number 1 or 2 but if he came back he would be an number 3 so a pay cut would be what he would sign for.

I'd commented elsewhere in one of the other 100 Patten threads that his best days are behind him. That does not preclude signing him as a 4th WR or so and as a backup. When it comes to cutdown day I would pass on Patten for a 4th or 5th WR rough edged rook with versitility (STs, KOs, PRs) and upside potential.

This is a no brainer. He shouldn't command much, has experience in our system and was productive.

We need more candidates at WR anyway, so what other low cost option is likely to be better?

If he doesn't cut it we can cut him.

Patten's best days may be behind him, but he still provides a good option as a 3/4th receiver. To me he's better than Bethel, and if he seems to have lost a stepn he's easily cut.

I see nothing wrong with bringing the guy in and seing if he has anything left in the tank at all. He knows our system and may be better than what we have, especially if we get even one injury to our very thin experienced group of WR's.

I guess we find out any time about the 6/1 cuts - do they announce at midnight I wonder? We could also look to Bobby Hamilton for depth, at 34 he is about to be let go?

nescott said:
That is the Million Dollar Question he was signed to be a number 1 or 2 but if he came back he would be an number 3 so a pay cut would be what he would sign for.

A number 4, at best. Branch, Jackson, and Caldwell would all be ahead of him. Maybe even Troy.

pats1 said:
A number 4, at best. Branch, Jackson, and Caldwell would all be ahead of him. Maybe even Troy.

Provided they all get through camp healthy they could and one would hope should be, but you simply cannot know that today.

FYI David is scheduled to earn $1,085,000 in salary only if he remains with the 'Skins. An $810,000 as a 10+ veteran minimum deal would likely suffice if he signed here. Comparatively speaking only Bethel is scheduled to count $856,000K on the cap with a dead cap of $350K a year for 2006 and 2007 if he's cut. Caldwell is due to count $906K if he makes the roster and $0 if he doesn't. Bam is all salary as well $281K.

Also FYI - the June 1 date is only the date after which a player who is cut can have his remaining accelerated signing bonus divided over this year and next - it is not a date BY WHICH these players have to be cut. Unless a team is desperate for cap room, and few are, there will be few June 1 cuts of any note this season. These players might just as well be on their existing teams roster in case of injury as ours. Guys like David won't be cut until August, if he in fact is.

The dead cap hit for him is $1.4M per year for two years (4/5ths of the $3.5M signing bonus Snyder gave him last year - all of which is his to keep - remains to be absorbed by the 'Skins) which makes unlikely he is cut unless the 'Skins WR corps looks like world beaters heading into September.

nescott said:
IF Washington Releases Patton Should the Pats resign him or Pass?

Pass is already under contract ;)

ayjackson said:
Pass is already under contract ;)

I was gonna say resign Pass but i didn't know that he is already under contract! hahaha

Didn't Hollywood release Patton -- with George C. Scott?

You are correct ,sir.

Ed, what fabulous prize do we have today for Mike The Brit?

....oh yes!!! and there it is .... a full paid one way ticket to Tierra del Fuego where you will bask in the sub-Antartic sunshine and play bowl the penguins for seven sun drenched days and nights....offer subject to all applicable taxes and fees which shall not exceed but may equal 450% of the original cost of the vacation..

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted no. I like Branch, Jackson, Caldwell and Brown better. That's 4. As my 5th guy I'd prefer to keep a guy with upside like Childress or Bethel. Some risk, yes, but that's what I'd do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back