Welcome to PatsFans.com

If Voters Don't Like You, Don't Let Them Vote

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInVa, May 31, 2012.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -2

I've noticed that somehow the local savants have missed the fact that the Republican party, in a coordinated multi-state action, have been busy suppressing the vote in whatever way they can imagine that favors their party...

Here's Rolling Stone on the Florida effort, kicking voters off the rolls... have patience, they dwell a bit on the theft of the 2000 election before moving on to the 2012 effort...

Florida GOP Takes Voter Suppression to a Brazen New Extreme | Ari Berman | Politics News | Rolling Stone

As usual, it's thousands of purged voters despite only 31 actual voter fraud complaints....

The pilot program worked so well in Florida in the past, that the pubbies have gone nationwide...

Voter ID Laws: Obama Could Be Hurt By New Registration Curbs

The problem is obvious: The Republican party has a problem with black voters, latino voters, women voters... just about demographic other than white males.

Since as a share of the voting population, whites are declining, the solution appears to be not to let others vote.

That leaves them with only the gender problem to deal with, I suppose. Oh yeah, and gays. And people who think it's okay to be gay.

The excuse of "voter fraud" -- despite the clear lack of an actual problem of voter fraud -- is being used to keep thousands of people away from the polls. Rules are being changed in various ways: new curbs on when polls are open, curbs on early voting, curbs on anything that makes voting or registration easier if you're less well-to-do (think about the working man or woman looking at early voting on a day off vs. taking off a day to vote.) Close the polls earlier, make early voting harder, don't have same-day registration -- they're all intended to suppress the vote.

Of course, in case we wonder about the sincerity of curbing "voter fraud," we have once clear instance of the phenomenon upon which to meditate...

Indiana secretary of state convicted of voter fraud - latimes.com

Well, that doesn't really establish much does it? Except the Secretary of State runs the show, in terms of who can vote and by what rules. He was active -- while committing voter fraud -- in using voter fraud as an excuse to suppress voting in his state.

What we have in 2012 is a concerted effort to discourage voting by the electorate, using this same excuse. It's a clear attack on our democracy, led by cynical hacks who just want to win at any cost.

The new rules:

- Corporations are people
    - Money has freedom of speech
    - Voting is a selective privilege not a right

PFnV
  2. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -1

Poll: 70% back voter ID laws

A majority of Democrats, independents and Republicans support voter ID laws. | AP Photo
    Close
    By TIM MAK | 4/18/12 1:14 PM EDT Updated: 4/18/12 3:20 PM EDT

The vast majority of Americans believe that voter ID laws are necesssary to stop fraud, according to a new survey released Wednesday.

Indeed, 70 percent of Americans say they support voter identification measures “to stop illegal voting,” reports Fox News. Only 26 percent said such laws are “unnecessary and discourage legal voting.”

A majority of Democrats (52 percent), independents (72 percent) and Republicans (87 percent) supported voter ID laws as necessary.

Poll: 70% back voter ID laws - Tim Mak - POLITICO.com

73% Think Photo ID Requirement Before Voting Does Not Discriminate
    73% Think Photo ID Requirement Before Voting Does Not Discriminate - Rasmussen Reports™
  3. JackBauer

JackBauer Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

So you're saying we should base policy decisions based on popular opinion?

Hello, single payer!
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

The power does not lie with who casts the votes, but with who counts the votes..
  5. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

And that's the problem I have with many of the voting machines versus paper ballots...It has too much potential for fraud/hacking or shenanigans.
  6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My problem is one step further, Diebold used to be the main player in this game and were closely aligned with the Republican Party.. that has been sold off to another company, who also has close ties to the Republican Party..

Now known as Premier Election Systems.. previously the CEO was a major contributor to George Bush, and they were accused of having a monopoly on these machines..

Lot of dirty secrets with Diebold now Premier..
  7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -3

Dems react to Voter ID laws that ensure people don't vote illegally live vampires getting thrown into a pool of holy warter on a cloudless day.
  8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

Holy warter???

Your comments are completely unintelligible...
  9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -1

Yeah, you know....warthers - they hang around water and eat live vampires.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
  10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -3

Ever see a vampire movie?
  11. JackBauer

JackBauer Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

You know the word is "water," right?
  12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -3

I plead guilty to being a lousy typist.
  13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -1

Very similar to Obama being a lousy teleprompter reader. You type "warter" when you mean "water" and he says "fifty seven" when he means "fifty."

See how easy it is to understand peoples faults when you break it down?
  14. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ---- JAG ----- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 1 / -0

#87 Jersey

Al Gore says Ya'Think ... DUH !!!

[​IMG]
  15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -3

Well speaking is different than typing. YMMV

what this has to d with Voter ID and attrmpts to stop fraud escapes me.
  16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -1

Not really. Depends on what medium you're attempting to communicate in. If you're communicating in print your spelling and grammar become the most important things to getting the words correct so that your message is understandable - if you're speaking then the words themseves become vital.

Either way, intelligent people can and do make mistakes - as you prove time and time again - unless you want to disagree with that premise, of course.

Hey, you're the one who brought up live vampires getting thrown into a pool of holy warter on a cloudless day. If your readers have to stop and ask for a translation that's on you.
  17. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -1

Not at all. What I'm saying is that (generally speaking) the greater public not only feels that voters should show an ID when they go vote, but also that requiring so isn't discriminatory.
  18. JackBauer

JackBauer Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

Okay? And this is relevant because...?
  19. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -1

Hmm....good question. :rolleyes:
  20. Hebeill

Hebeill Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I understand the typing vs talking thing completely, on the other hand i believe there were only 150 reports of voter fraud across the county last year. So why all the noise about voter fraud from the pubbies unless they're trying to get a group shut out, seems kind of obvious.
  21. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -3

Do you show an ID to cash a check?

To register for school?

To board an airplane?

ect...
  22. Hebeill

Hebeill Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't see that big a deal about showing an i.d. But on the other hand i look for the reason why some one or some group wants something, why is it in their interest? And if the pubbies are pushing this hard (and in some states like florida they are) what does the criminal governor rick scott get out of banning a certain group of people from voting? They are going after dems, so obviously he and the pubbies are trying to suppress the vote of the rival party.
  23. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Any reasonably intelligent 2nd grader can read that sentence, read the misspelled term "holy warter" and recognize that it is simply a typographical error and the writer meant "holy water." So it is no surprise that such a simple typo has totally and completely counfounded both you and Darryl.
  24. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just last week I had to show my ID to ship a package at the UPS Store. And I don't mean I had to show my ID because I was paying with a credit card and they wanted to check the credit card. I mean the first thing they said when I put the package on the scale was to ask me for my ID.

There is absolutely NO REASON WHATSOEVER to oppose voter ID laws unless you support voter fraud. If you can take the time to register to vote and you can take the time to cast your vote, then you can take the time to have your picture taken once every 8 years.
  25. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -3

Good glad someone acknowledges there is no big deal associated with showing an ID.

It is being pushed due to groups like Acorn fabricating registrations, illegal aliens being registered to vote.

Perhaps the question to ask is why are so apoplectic about something most people feel is no big deal?
  26. JackBauer

JackBauer Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

27. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -3

28. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -1

I don't have an issue with showing an ID, either...but why does it have to be a state issued ID? I see no reason that a student ID from a school or a workplace picture ID or any other ID with a picture can't be acceptable. The laws that the states are passing or trying to pass all require a state issued ID - and some people, especially the elderly, the ill and the poor just aren't able to make the journey to get one. In some instances the only places which issue them are 100 miles away and only open 1 or 2 days a week. If a person does not have a car it is almost impossible for them to get there.

If a person can produce a birth certificate and a bill addressed to them at their home or any combination of other, non-photo bearing papers why can't that be enough? We can get our first drivers licenses without photo ID, can't we? If it's good enough for the DMV why isn't it good enough for voter's registration?
  29. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Why don't you pubies just drop a couple of your crappy ideas and then you won't have to fight so hard to keep regular people from voting?
  30. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

Incidences of voter fraud that are reported are very low. Cool.

We prevent a lot of underage drinking and smoking by requiring ID's. I've read that underage drinking is on the rise. We know this because the perps are ID'd. If we stop requiring ID's to buy booze and smokes at bars or liquor stores then I'd expect that reported incidences of underage drinking and smoking would drop significantly. I have a serious question. Would this solve the problem or would it simply mask it? I'll answer my own question. It masks it. I'll take the next step and say that without the ID requirement underage drinking and smoking would increase. I'd also like to add that legal age drinkers and smokers are not disenfranchised because they have to have proof of age.

Now I'm not saying the right to drink and smoke is guaranteed by the constitution for legal aged people like voting is but I am saying that without a way to measure it we simply do not really know what the true numbers are. I really don't see how an ID requirement to vote disenfranchises people.