PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Tom goes down, can Matt step up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait a second. Steve Young was a #1 pick and the highest paid player at the time coming out of college. He was also traded for by Bill Walsh in a move (stretch here) something like Red Auerbach drafting Larry Bird after Bird's junior year. He was brought in to be Montana's successor when Joe was still on top of his game. In other words, the expectations of Steve Young were immense, and he paid for it in his early starts and years by being booed unmercifully in SF when he didn't produce at Joe's level. Happily for 49er fans, he did later. Peete did accomplish more in college than Cassel but Peete was a sixth round pick! It would be nice to see what Cassel could do, but how does that happen except the unmentionable happening to Brady.

I was wondering why Peete and Young were in the same sentence.

Matt can handle it. He won't be Brady, but he can certainly manage us to a successful season. He's got the physical and mental tools, and he's been mentored by the best these last couple years. I've got confidence in him and I suspect BB does too.

:agree:

I happen to be of the opinion that a Brady comes around once in a lifetime if you are lucky. But Cassel isn't chopped liver. I'd take him over most of what has been selected in the first round for the last several years every time. He's a very good fit for this team and the fact that BB had the confidence in him to move him up the depth chart in his first season and basically go with him as the lone backup in his second (Vinnie was only added late as a veteran presence and dire emergency backup) speaks volumes. I don't think we would be serious contenders in a season where Matt stepped in for any length of time (2004 team might have withstood that, 2006 team probably couldn't) - but I think we'd still likely take the division or a wild card.

We're not going to pay a couple of million per to extend a backup, and the package of draft picks he will attract in this functional QB starved market, will mean he is likely gone after this season - so I would expect to see another developmental QB drafted or signed as an UDFA this season. If he can't locate another QB with sufficient upside and doesn't like the veteran backup landscape, BB might just let him play out his deal feeling that having a backup he is confident about (he has said he likes the QB from USC that he has - and he certainly represents better value) for 4 seasons was tremendous value in and of itself.

I expect we will see a lot of him this pre season. Probably three and three quarters of the China Bowl game for openers.

Last edited:
What part of that statement is realistic? - Does that mean because we had a great defense LAST year,Its going to be just as good this year? - If our offense can't do anything and the defense is on the field more than they should be those stats are meaningless,plus the fact that we don't even know who is coming back next year,Asante,Rodney,Tedi,Seau and maybe some others may be gone by way of cutting them or retirement,The NEXT season is never the same,even if the core of defensive players remains.

IMO if our 2 starting receivers are Gaffney and Caldwell you BETTER have Brady out there-Cassel as QB with those 2 guys?- GET REAL!

Our D is a known, and I based my statement on what I have seen from our D. Your statement on Cassel is pure speculation on what you think will happen, based on about what...10 plays? Past experience tells us the BB can take an unexperienced, but talented QB, and design an offense that can function enough to win games. Past experience also tells us that the D can function with turnover. Even last year with Starks (and a poor D), we were a couple of fumbles away from going further into the playoffs. Thats because BB was able to hobble together a D that worked. It was the O that lost us that game. With Brady!

Turnover effects everyone equally. Cassel has just as much potential to adjust new receivers as Brady does, if he's in the game.

The only one that needs to "get real" is you. Your arguments are weak, and based purely on conjecture. Because you base your arguments on NOTHING. At least mine are based on FACTS that happened in the past.

:agree:

I happen to be of the opinion that a Brady comes around once in a lifetime if you are lucky. But Cassel isn't chopped liver. I'd take him over most of what has been selected in the first round for the last several years every time. He's a very good fit for this team and the fact that BB had the confidence in him to move him up the depth chart in his first season and basically go with him as the lone backup in his second (Vinnie was only added late as a veteran presence and dire emergency backup) speaks volumes. I don't think we would be serious contenders in a season where Matt stepped in for any length of time (2004 team might have withstood that, 2006 team probably couldn't) - but I think we'd still likely take the division or a wild card.

We're not going to pay a couple of million per to extend a backup, and the package of draft picks he will attract in this functional QB starved market, will mean he is likely gone after this season - so I would expect to see another developmental QB drafted or signed as an UDFA this season. If he can't locate another QB with sufficient upside and doesn't like the veteran backup landscape, BB might just let him play out his deal feeling that having a backup he is confident about (he has said he likes the QB from USC that he has - and he certainly represents better value) for 4 seasons was tremendous value in and of itself.

I expect we will see a lot of him this pre season. Probably three and three quarters of the China Bowl game for openers.

What's so special about Brady that Cassell couldn't step in and do about the same job? I'm serious - Brady's stats and his play when viewed on television are not particularly impressive. I've always thought the best thing about Brady was his decision making but that seems to have gone down the drain. What else does he bring to the table?

If Cassell can hit open receivers, then he can step in if Brady goes down. From the little I've seen of Cassell, he has a good arm and is accurate but he needs to work on his pocket presence. Seems to be a common problem among more mobile qbs. I'm confident though that the team's record would be more or less the same if Cassell started in place of Brady.

What's so special about Brady that Cassell couldn't step in and do about the same job? I'm serious - Brady's stats and his play when viewed on television are not particularly impressive. I've always thought the best thing about Brady was his decision making but that seems to have gone down the drain. What else does he bring to the table?

If Cassell can hit open receivers, then he can step in if Brady goes down. From the little I've seen of Cassell, he has a good arm and is accurate but he needs to work on his pocket presence. Seems to be a common problem among more mobile qbs. I'm confident though that the team's record would be more or less the same if Cassell started in place of Brady.

Why don't we take the cap hit and cut Brady then?

No kiddin' - maybe we could lure Drewpie back - I'm beginning to think he's a member here already. :D

Why don't we take the cap hit and cut Brady then?

The title of this thread is "If Tom goes down", not "Can we cut Brady". These are two different subjects, and discussions altogether. If Tom was injured, I bet he's on the sideline, doing everything he can do to make Cassel, and the Pats successful. That makes a huge difference in the outlook of how Cassel would do , if Tom went down

I know a lot of people aren't with me on this, but I really feel like Matty boy can come in and perform well. Now, not Tom Brady well of course, but I think that he could guide us to at least a wild card spot, provided of course his supporting cast is there. The hallmark of this team is guys stepping in and performing and I feel confident in Cassel, now of course I hope I never find out if he can or not, but I think he can.

For you Pats pros who prefer football talk to name-calling:

We've been blessed these past six years to keep Brady in the line-up. He's been banged around a lot, and he's a tough dude. But, God forbid, if he ever went on IR, would our team still be contenders? I haven't seen Cassel do much more than hand-off in garbage time. In other words, do you think he'd be another Steve Young or Rodney Peete?

This team has so many locker room leaders you can poke holes through. Didn't they go to the AFC Title game without Rodney(among others)?

So why not?

For you Pats pros who prefer football talk to name-calling:

We've been blessed these past six years to keep Brady in the line-up. He's been banged around a lot, and he's a tough dude. But, God forbid, if he ever went on IR, would our team still be contenders? I haven't seen Cassel do much more than hand-off in garbage time. In other words, do you think he'd be another Steve Young or Rodney Peete?

In my opinion, from what I have seen from Cassel thus far...I would have to say....consistently?....NO he can not. Cassel is a decent band aid guy/backup QB....but realistically seeing this guy as a starter.....is not in my crystal ball........one man's opinion

If Brady went down I think you would see more of the 2001 offense. They would do more screens, quick passes, run the ball more, play field position. Cassel would be asked to manage the game much like Brady did his first year.

The 2001 Patriots had guys at other spots who could take some of the load. Smith had a very good year, Brown and Patten were outstanding, etc. They would need some of the guys who look to Brady to do everything to do the same. If those players don't step up Cassel would be in trouble like any first year QB. If he gets some help I think he could manage the game and I think he has good upside.

Speaking of which....where the he## has that 2001 offense been....I am referring to INTELLIGENT playcalling here of course........GO PATS!!

I guess we better move up and draft Jamarcus Russell, or we could offer KC a first for Hurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes