PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Tom goes down, can Matt step up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedylb

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
For you Pats pros who prefer football talk to name-calling:

We've been blessed these past six years to keep Brady in the line-up. He's been banged around a lot, and he's a tough dude. But, God forbid, if he ever went on IR, would our team still be contenders? I haven't seen Cassel do much more than hand-off in garbage time. In other words, do you think he'd be another Steve Young or Rodney Peete?

If Tom goes down, can Matt step up?

No, the Pats ask Brady to do an awful lot on his own. Unless the defense becomes dominant the Patriots need Brady to be on top his game.

I have a feeling that after a couple of games under his belt, Matt will be a very good and perhaps outstanding quarterback. If Brady goes down, please God no, our biggest problem at the end of the season, when Brady has recovered, will be holding on to Matt. I hope he has a long term contract.

CST-I agree with you. But let me frame it another way: Cassel just mopped up at USC also. Is that why they signed Vinnie? Does BB have any confidence in Cassel, or do you think the team is looking elsewhere-draft or FA?

It's so rare that a backup can do what Steve Young or Brady did. As tough as the competition was, remember that he couldn't win a starting job at USC.

CST-I agree with you. But let me frame it another way: Cassel just mopped up at USC also. Is that why they signed Vinnie? Does BB have any confidence in Cassel, or do you think the team is looking elsewhere-draft or FA?

No, they can add a veteran FA as the 3rd QB or get a late round draft pick for the practice squad. Cassell is an ok backup, he may be able to win a game or two if Brady goes down but realistically the Patriots would be dead without Brady.

The backup QB always gets a lot of love, I remember Bishop was "the next great thing". Lets not get carried away with Cassell and make him better than is really is.

If Brady went down I think you would see more of the 2001 offense. They would do more screens, quick passes, run the ball more, play field position. Cassel would be asked to manage the game much like Brady did his first year.

The 2001 Patriots had guys at other spots who could take some of the load. Smith had a very good year, Brown and Patten were outstanding, etc. They would need some of the guys who look to Brady to do everything to do the same. If those players don't step up Cassel would be in trouble like any first year QB. If he gets some help I think he could manage the game and I think he has good upside.

If Brady EVER goes down on IR anywhere near the beginning of any future season those infamous famous words will be said in April of the following year " As The First Pick In The (add year) Draft The Patriots Select"

If Brady EVER goes down on IR anywhere near the beginning of any future season those infamous famous words will be said in April of the following year " As The First Pick In The (add year) Draft The Patriots Select"

I can't agree with that assessment. Our D held teams to less than 14 points a game, on average through the regular season. I am very confident that a Cassel led O would average more than that.

I can't agree with that assessment. Our D held teams to less than 14 points a game, on average through the regular season. I am very confident that a Cassel led O would average more than that.

What part of that statement is realistic? - Does that mean because we had a great defense LAST year,Its going to be just as good this year? - If our offense can't do anything and the defense is on the field more than they should be those stats are meaningless,plus the fact that we don't even know who is coming back next year,Asante,Rodney,Tedi,Seau and maybe some others may be gone by way of cutting them or retirement,The NEXT season is never the same,even if the core of defensive players remains.

IMO if our 2 starting receivers are Gaffney and Caldwell you BETTER have Brady out there-Cassel as QB with those 2 guys?- GET REAL!

Matt Light already has enough on his hands at LT why the hell do you want him to take snaps at QB is beyond me.

For you Pats pros who prefer football talk to name-calling:

We've been blessed these past six years to keep Brady in the line-up. He's been banged around a lot, and he's a tough dude. But, God forbid, if he ever went on IR, would our team still be contenders? I haven't seen Cassel do much more than hand-off in garbage time. In other words, do you think he'd be another Steve Young or Rodney Peete?
Wait a second. Steve Young was a #1 pick and the highest paid player at the time coming out of college. He was also traded for by Bill Walsh in a move (stretch here) something like Red Auerbach drafting Larry Bird after Bird's junior year. He was brought in to be Montana's successor when Joe was still on top of his game. In other words, the expectations of Steve Young were immense, and he paid for it in his early starts and years by being booed unmercifully in SF when he didn't produce at Joe's level. Happily for 49er fans, he did later. Peete did accomplish more in college than Cassel but Peete was a sixth round pick! It would be nice to see what Cassel could do, but how does that happen except the unmentionable happening to Brady.

He would probably be alright but he really needs playing time. He has the tools but compared to Brady when he's in the pocket he looks like a chicken with his head cut off. It's not his fault, we all know his past. But we'd need a strong running game for him to suceed.

Matt can handle it. He won't be Brady, but he can certainly manage us to a successful season. He's got the physical and mental tools, and he's been mentored by the best these last couple years. I've got confidence in him and I suspect BB does too.

I haven't seen Cassel do much more than hand-off in garbage time.
See if you can find someone with a tape of the last game of the 2005 season. You will see how he looks playing with our backups against Mimi's first string defense.

Honestly, lets hope we DON'T HAVE TO FIND OUT!

Matt Cassel is not going to be a good starting QB...

It's so rare that a backup can do what Steve Young or Brady did. As tough as the competition was, remember that he couldn't win a starting job at USC.

Lol. I literally had to laugh out loud. By your same logic somebody by the name of Tom Brady could not beat out somebody by the name of Drew Henson while at Michigan.

Do you happen to remember who Cassel lost the starting jobs to? Somebody named Palmer and Leinart. Losing a job to those type of guys is not as bad as the point you are trying to make.

Matt Cassel is not going to be a good starting QB...

Probability is on your side, but there is no way you can be that dogmatic. Fact is, nobody will know until he gets a shot at playing the game.

I dont know, honestly. Until i see Matt start and play a whole regular season game, i really dont know. How much we depend on Tommy, i would think not.

I dont know, honestly. Until i see Matt start and play a whole regular season game, i really dont know. How much we depend on Tommy, i would think not.

I agree with you 100%, but one game is not fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots