PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Thomas Signs...I See Safety As Our Biggest Need

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPatBoy

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
The addition of A. Thomas would defenitely give our defense a much needed shot in the arm. The biggest question mark on our Defense now becomes the Safety Position. We could certainly use a young playmaker back there. Hobbs and Samuel form a formidable CB tandem.....Rodney will be back, but his age and injuries have to have taken a toll on him. Wilsonand Hawkins aren't long term answers. If we can get a playmaking Safety back there our defense could be the best we might have seen. After Safety, I think depth at LB, especially ILB and CB are th emost obvious needs.

Agreed - we need a younger, healthier version of Rodney. Too bad Ed Reed isnt a FA!

Last edited:
The addition of A. Thomas would defenitely give our defense a much needed shot in the arm. The biggest question mark on our Defense now becomes the Safety Position. We could certainly use a young playmaker back there. Hobbs and Samuel form a formidable CB tandem.....Rodney will be back, but his age and injuries have to have taken a toll on him. Wilsonand Hawkins aren't long term answers. If we can get a playmaking Safety back there our defense could be the best we might have seen. After Safety, I think depth at LB, especially ILB and CB are th emost obvious needs.
We have actual starting caliber players at all positions on this team except WR. At that spot we have a bunch of backups pretending to be starters. Hopefully a real starting WR is added to this team.

That will be addressed through the draft, and not through free agency.

I think WR is our biggest need now. while we need some future talent at safety Wilson Rodney Hawkins and Sanders are more than adequate for th eupcoming season

actually LB is still a need..Thomas isnt young either and we have no quality depth who can step in and start

1. we need 1 person to replace Bruschi soon.. -- Thomas takes over Seau

Vrabel - 32
Bruschi - 34
Colvin - 30
Thomas - 30

I wouldn't right off Wilson so quickly. He is a more than capable starter level safety in the NFL, if he stays healthy (as with every player). He might not be Ed Reed, but who is?

I'm much more concerned about Rodney. Can he stay healthy? What shape is he in even if he doesn't suffer another injury?
We need a young safety. Rodney had a presence as a hard hitter. We missed that when he was hurt last year. Thats why I can't say how much I'd like to see someone like Reggie Nelson get picked up in the draft this year.

I agree that safety is big, and I'd like to see a veteran acquisition along the lines of Ken Hamlin or Deon Grant.

However, I think WR is perhaps even a bigger need. I'd argue, as others have, that we are missing a starter from that position. So I'd really like to see them bring somebody in. It looks like Curtis is out of the question, given how much interest he has garnered. Drew Bennett has raised some eyebrows too.

A guy I have not heard much about since free agency started is Donte Stallworth. He might be somebody to target, if his contract expectations were to come back down to Earth a bit.

Otherwise, I wouldn't mind a shot at Justin Gage from Chicago, and DJ Hackett from Seattle might actually be worth the second round pick it would take to get him (he's a restricted free agent).

I think WR is key also...We might have a young good one in Chad Jackson....His ACL isn't as bad as believed, and I think there ar ea couple of FA opportunities out there to hold us over. I just cant get th esting and taste out of my mouth that our Offense(Which was Painful to watch at times last year) was able to put up plenty enough points in the AFC Championship game to win it. Our defense could barely even slow down the Colts in the second half, it was as if they could score at will. It was one of the most painful things I ever seen as a Pats fan . I still see vulnerability on our defense. Th eline is young and good. The Linebackers with Thomas are improved, but Bruschi was manhandled on the inside all last year and we still need to get younger there. CB is good, but Safety is old and often injured on one side and young and, not very impressive on teh other side. I just we are a Top Level Safety away from having one of the best defenses next year if not the best.

I'd rather they not rely on Rodney OR Wilson. Eugene hasn't done much of anything since 2004, so I'm really questioning whether he should even be on this team anymore. Rodney is a great leader and should certainly be kept around for that, but his body is clearly wearing down and its not unreasonable to question whether he has another full season left in him.

James Sanders is a viable starter, IMO. Artrell Hawkins is great as a backup, but I'd rather not have him as a primary starter. Thats why I'd like to see somebody else brought in. A draft pick might fit the bill, but given the football intelligence it seems to require to play safety for this team, I'm thinking maybe a veteran would be better. Then use the draft for depth on defense, particularly at linebacker (since all our starting LBs will be over 30).

I think they take the best players available to fit their system. I would like to see two defensive playmakers to add some speed with their first two picks. I would even consider Adam Carriker if he slips. And I'd like to see a wr to develop and add depth to that postion. If this signing goes through they have the luxury of doing many things in the draft.

I think they take the best players available to fit their system. I would like to see two defensive playmakers to add some speed with their first two picks. I would even consider Adam Carriker if he slips. And I'd like to see a wr to develop and add depth to that postion. If this signing goes through they have the luxury of doing many things in the draft.

Carriker is a 3-4 DE. We have 2 pro bowl starters(well 1 is borderline) and 1 guy who fills in very well and could start elsewhere

we dont need a DE..thats the last position we need

I'd love to have the #10 pick or so and get Landry!! Pipe dream though, hopefully we can address the safety issue in the draft, although I am hoping for once we can have our secondary healthy!

Will Graham have a change of heart seeing how the Pats D just became a fearsome reality? I can understand the Denver connection, but imagine going from the Mercedes of organizations to the the Edsel of the NFL, the Raiders, all for a few extra bucks...ok, a few extra million.
Back to the topic, I agree that a Stud Safety would vault this D into a stratosphere never seen in NE. I love Rodney, but even when he was on the field this year, he wasn't making plays and seemed late to the action.
Don't you just love when the Pats have 2 number 1 draft picks, the possibilities are so vast, it keeps my head spinning all offseason. Isn't this the third time in the last 5 years BB has had 2 #1s?

I agree with you all that we need WR and SS. Lets get a LB in the draft as well to groom for the future.

Right on, Borg!

2 #1's

We need a younger, explosive safety to go with this D retooling.

Wr is number 1 now... We adress saftey and lb in the draft...

Anthony Gonzalez from Ohio State and Brandon Merriweather in rd. 1.

Gonzalez is a Patriot type WR, a fundamentally sound tactician. Merriweather is a ballhawk who will benefit from Harrison's tutelage.

In recent seasons, a number of young safeties have made very quick impacts in the pros.

Indeed, I think a bunch more teams have gotten big upgrades at safety via the draft than via FA -- Denver, SD, and a few years ago NE notwithstanding.

I would be modestly surprised to see a major FA safety. Rather, I'm looking to WR and LB for the next-biggest outside FA signing, or RB/TE if nothing bigger comes through at those two need positions.

I know that the DROY seems to be an LB every year, but even so LBs and WRs are likely to be much slower to contribute as draftees than are safeties.

The Pats' experience had been consistent with this general trend, Deion Branch notwithstanding.

Anthony Gonzalez from Ohio State and Brandon Merriweather in rd. 1.

Gonzalez is a Patriot type WR, a fundamentally sound tactician. Merriweather is a ballhawk who will benefit from Harrison's tutelage.

Merriweather is aplayer who someone is going to probably get at a steal. He will drop because of that Fight incident in that Miami FIU(I Believe) game.....I don't think the Pats will touch him because of that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots