PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If this team is a Super Bowl contender...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicilian

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
...we will beat the Jets by at least two touchdowns.

Now, let me make a few disclaimers before I elaborate. I am not saying:

1) That beating the Jets by two touchdowns means we WILL win the Super Bowl.

2) That one game means more than one game usually means.

or 3) That the Jets are a contender in their own right who is a good litmus test for our team's strength.

What I'm saying is, we know the Patriots have talent on both sides of the ball. The offense is proven, the defense is not but has shown flashes and hopefully will gel even more before the playoffs (knock on wood). We know we have a great coach, a franchise QB, and great depth at most positions.

What we DON'T know, is the mental make-up of this team. Some players have proven themselves before (Brady, Faulk, etc) in big games, but for the most part this team is untested and unproven. What we need to see is that, following a devastating loss where their coach is questioned and there's some whisperings that the defense was disrespected, this team will respond positively.

If this team is a Super Bowl contender, they should take that 4th and 2 moment as a challenge, not as a sign of disrespect. The team shouldn't dwell on what was lost (possible home-field, first round bye, etc), and focus on what is to gain by beating the Jets.

The Jets are in disarray, and we're a LOT better than we were in week 2. Now we're playing at home, with the REAL Tom Brady, Wes Welker active, a defense that has gelled a bit more and (one would hope) a chip on our shoulder. If we come out flat, this team simply doesn't have the heart to win it all. If we come out and do what we're supposed to do, and play with fire, we at least know we have the moxie to shake off the tough moments.

Division games are always important, but I feel like this one carries with it a little extra weight. We should get a much better idea who this team is after Sunday.

I expect the Patriots to start to look really good now, other than the Saints game which I expect to lose while the young defense continues to learn lessons. I fully expect a 12-4 record with many double digit wins and the deciding factor in the playoffs being whether the young defense can use it's experience throughout the regular season to improve just a tick which will likely be enough.

This team should (and I believe will) beat the Jets by more than 2 TDs. But I don't think that makes a difference as to whether we are a SB contender or not.

The 2003-2004 Pats won tons of games by less than 7 points, but did so consistently and won 2 SBs, making the big plays when it counted. The 2007 team destroyed opponents, but couldn't make the necessary stop in a close game. The margin of victory doesn't necessarily mean much.

Assuming we beat the Jets, how we do so will be significant. Do we beat them decisively? Do we get up and not let them back in the game (like we did to the Ravens and Dolphins, even though we won both games)? Do we execute in the red zone? Do we play aggressively on both sides of the ball? Do we maintain offensive and defensive balance, and not run a predictable shotgun offense? Do we get pressure on Sanchez? Do we force turnovers?

I'm happy to win 14-13 as long as we execute well. If we win 31-14 but make mistakes in some of the areas listed above, then I'll still have reservations.

I expect the Patriots to start to look really good now, other than the Saints game which I expect to lose while the young defense continues to learn lessons. I fully expect a 12-4 record with many double digit wins and the deciding factor in the playoffs being whether the young defense can use it's experience throughout the regular season to improve just a tick which will likely be enough.

The question is whether the young defense takes the Belichick decision

as a challenge to get better or takes it as a wooden stake thru the heart

and falls completely apart.

The question is whether the young defense takes the Belichick decision as a challenge to get better or takes it as a wooden stake thru the heart and falls completely apart.
If they are men they will understand the situation. As I said in the other thread, they did get the chance to defend 30 yards and didn't even make the Colts sweat, not even forcing a second down until they were at the 1. It's difficult to make an argument that they would have stopped the Colts needing about twice that distance.

The question is whether the young defense takes the Belichick decision

as a challenge to get better or takes it as a wooden stake thru the heart

and falls completely apart.

This is what I was trying to say, I probably shouldn't have focused on the two TD line specifically. The score isn't that important, but if this team comes out looking timid or unsure of itself, it bodes very poorly for the rest of the season, win or lose against the Jets.

Until they can run and stop the run with consistency and confidence, I will not consider them a SB contender. Maybe with Morris and BJGE back, the RB by committee approach can work. It did not on Sunday; Kevin Faulk, God bless him, gave us everything he had, but BJGE was ill and Maroney was MIA.

On defense, our strength is supposed to be up the middle with Wilfork and Mayo, but for all their talent, the Colts were merely the last team to run it right up the gut for another red zone TD. The Jets do not present a fearsome passing game, but they are a decent running team. Good game for the defense to get something going.

The margin of victory next week has nothing to do with us being super bowl contenders or not. The '05 Steelers and '07 Giants looked finished at later points in the season, let alone looking dominant. The '06 Colts D looked like they were going to be run all over the minute they face a good rushing attack in January. Blowing teams away in November isn't going to prove anything as far as winning a title is concerned. Isn't that what we did all of '07?

The margin of victory next week has nothing to do with us being super bowl contenders or not. The '05 Steelers and '07 Giants looked finished at later points in the season, let alone looking dominant. The '06 Colts D looked like they were going to be run all over the minute they face a good rushing attack in January. Blowing teams away in November isn't going to prove anything as far as winning a title is concerned. Isn't that what we did all of '07?

Pretty much.

Great teams find ways to be great when they have too. For example, converting a 4th and 2.

This team has yet to prove itself. I don't care what they did 5 years ago, that's half a decade and the past is the past. It's time for these Patriots to earn their stripes.

Yes they need to win this game. No, I don't think it'll be a blow out. but this game does nothing to prove they're for real. They have to prove it in big situations.

Division games are almost always close so I expect this one could follow that pattern. I hope they win by 2 TDs but the margin of victory doesn't matter.

Do people, fans, writers, teams consider the colts a superbowl contender? If so, then so are the Pats because they went toe to toe with them and if not for a complete meltdown, they should have one.

I am sure there are those who say that meltdown alone is enough to say they are not contenders.

we dont learn nothing about 2007 season?

I dont care about magon of victory .

We only should care about beat the Jets . If not, we hardly get the PO

Can a team be a serious contender if they lose road games to quality teams? They have yet to prove they can. Looking at the records of teams already played...a couple of the wins (Atl and Balt) don't seem as impressive.

Buff 3-6 H Win
Jets 4-5 A Loss
Atl 5-4 H Win
Balt 5-4 H Win
Den 6-3 A Loss
Tenn 3-6 H Win
Tampa 1-8 A Win
Miami 4-5 H Win
Indy 9-0 A Loss

Can a team be a serious contender if they lose road games to quality teams? They have yet to prove they can. Looking at the records of teams already played...a couple of the wins (Atl and Balt) don't seem as impressive.

Buff 3-6 H Win
Jets 4-5 A Loss
Atl 5-4 H Win
Balt 5-4 H Win
Den 6-3 A Loss
Tenn 3-6 H Win
Tampa 1-8 A Win
Miami 4-5 H Win
Indy 9-0 A Loss

Where does stupidity like this breed?

In 2007, the Giants didn't beat a winning team and lost to the Cowboys twice very badly. In week 14 they were hammered by Washington in the Meadowlands, then beat Buffalo, then lost to us.

In 2006, the lots of mediots picked KC to run all over the Colts. 2006 was the only time the mediots buried the Colts. Last year, they entered the playoffs as the hottest team going up against an 8-8 Division champion.

In December 2005, the Steelers were 7-5, had lost 3 games in a row and the media and fans were in a stage of revolt. The Monday after the Dec 2005 Cincy loss, the center labelled the Steelers the worst team in football.

Here are the keys:

Offense and Brady continue their progression.

Defense continues to mature.

Injuries and where we are by the expected additions vs unknown subtractions.

In 2007, the Giants didn't beat a winning team and lost to the Cowboys twice very badly. In week 14 they were hammered by Washington in the Meadowlands, then beat Buffalo, then lost to us.

In 2006, the lots of mediots picked KC to run all over the Colts. 2006 was the only time the mediots buried the Colts. Last year, they entered the playoffs as the hottest team going up against an 8-8 Division champion.

In December 2005, the Steelers were 7-5, had lost 3 games in a row and the media and fans were in a stage of revolt. The Monday after the Dec 2005 Cincy loss, the center labelled the Steelers the worst team in football.

Here are the keys:

Alas a reasonable voice....

Here are the keys:

This is correct.

It's all about peaking at the right time.

The way I see it, every Super Bowl season has that one "kick-in-the-ass" game that ignites the team the rest of the way. 2001 was the Rams loss. 2003 was the Bills loss. 2004 was the Steelers loss. 2007 didn't have a loss during the season, but you could say the team rallied around BB after the camera nonsense against the Jets. I think this Colts loss will be the turning point where the Patriots play inspired football the rest of the way.

The way I see it, every Super Bowl season has that one "kick-in-the-ass" game that ignites the team the rest of the way. 2001 was the Rams loss. 2003 was the Bills loss. 2004 was the Steelers loss. 2007 didn't have a loss during the season, but you could say the team rallied around BB after the camera nonsense against the Jets. I think this Colts loss will be the turning point where the Patriots play inspired football the rest of the way.

Interesting take. I like it. You could argue that the 2006 AFCCC vs the Dolts was the kick-in-the-***** loss that propelled the 2007 season.

Interesting take. I like it. You could argue that the 2006 AFCCC vs the Dolts was the kick-in-the-***** loss that propelled the 2007 season.

Without question.

Branch's holdout/trade, Caldwell's butterfingers, the defense letting the team down in the AFCCG.... it let to the acquisitions of Moss, Welker, Stallworth, Adalius Thomas, etc.

we dont learn nothing about 2007 season?

I dont care about magon of victory .

We only should care about beat the Jets . If not, we hardly get the PO

Please go back and get your GED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey