PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If this guy is right, Welcome OL Wesley Johnson -Vandy

His 3-cone and short shuttle backup the interest.

4 year starter. Started all 50 games and only got called for holding twice. Gave up 7.5 sacks in 1281 snaps(50 games). Great find there. I guess he projects as a round 5 pick but with this article who knows now?

It would of been hilarious to see this board in the 3rd round expecting their Harmon pick and having Wesley Johnson's name show up.

Well he's a center .... so :cool: cool.

Reading at ESPN seems he needs more muscle ... but he has the frame for it.

Well he's a center .... so :cool: cool.

Reading at ESPN seems he needs more muscle ... but he has the frame for it.

Wont ruin it as in play as center, but he can play all 5 positions and need to learn / bulk some, let him be a backup OT and move Cannon to RG.

Well I'll bite. We need a Center anyway and if BB believes in this kid that is enough for me. I would still prefer one of the top 3 prospects at C but I like this guys athletism and seems to be a better pass blocker than run blocker which I think is the correct order of skill set you want.

If he can allow us to use a pick on a guy that is not a center in the first 3 rounds that adds a lot of value to this draft. I just hope we don't take him in the 3rd. Pick him at 140 BB. I promise he will be there.

Last edited:
His 3-cone and short shuttle backup the interest.
VJ is historically important to the Patriots for OL, he passes that test at 29". Interestingly, a player frequently mocked to the Patriots, Richburg, doesn't at 25.5".

Johnson is a hard prospect to get a handle on -- it's rare to see a player listed under C on some draft sites and OT on others. He's short-armed for a tackle, but very tall for a center (6'5 3/8"). Athletic and competitive, but inconsistent. But versatility and potential do make him a strong possibility on day 3.

I don't know much about him but look at his combine numbers compared it the best OC in the NFL I cannot help but be intrigued. He outperformed Mack in every metric except the 3-cone.

Wesley Johnson
Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 6053
Weight: 297
40 Yrd Dash: 5.11
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash:
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 26
Vertical Jump: 29
Broad Jump: 09'03"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.64
3-Cone Drill: 7.40

Alex Mack
Dates: 03/18/09
Height: 6037
Weight: 307
40 Yrd Dash: 5.17
20 Yrd Dash: 2.96
10 Yrd Dash: 1.75
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 20
Vertical Jump: 28 1/2
Broad Jump: 08'10"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.75
3-Cone Drill: 7.31

If he can add that 10lbs Mack has on him (which is easily done) then this looks like it could be a very nice pick indeed.

I don't know much about him but look at his combine numbers compared it the best OC in the NFL I cannot help but be intrigued. He outperformed Mack in every metric except the 3-cone.

Wesley Johnson
Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 6053
Weight: 297
40 Yrd Dash: 5.11
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash:
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 26
Vertical Jump: 29
Broad Jump: 09'03"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.64
3-Cone Drill: 7.40

Alex Mack
Dates: 03/18/09
Height: 6037
Weight: 307
40 Yrd Dash: 5.17
20 Yrd Dash: 2.96
10 Yrd Dash: 1.75
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 20
Vertical Jump: 28 1/2
Broad Jump: 08'10"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.75
3-Cone Drill: 7.31

q6vCApt.gif

The trick is, he's played a lot more OT than C....

The trick is, he's played a lot more OT than C....
The Pats may see a lot of versatility able to play at C, OG or OT. I wouldn't be surprised if he is picked with the second 4th round draft pick, His size and speed seem to best fit the guard position.

Belichick personally worked out a few Vanderbilt guys when he was down there. Jordan Matthews and Kenny Ladler being two of them

Belichick personally worked out a few Vanderbilt guys when he was down there. Jordan Matthews and Kenny Ladler being two of them

Matthews in particular seems to fly under the radar here, but is one of the most polished receivers in the draft.

Last edited:
I think he'd be an excellent fit at RG if he put about 10 more pounds on. He may be a little on the tall side for a center, but can fill in there in the event of injury.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back