PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If there are no more moves in FA and a rookie does not start on D are you satisfied?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
If the FO decides its enough with what we have in FA and no more moves on D and if no rookies start on defense when opening day comes,are you happy with what the team has right now regarding both obvious starters and current depth on the defensive side?

I know BB likes to bring rookies slowly onto the field so it would not surprise me if what we have right now on the roster is the opening day defense barring any rash of injuries to current likely starters or sudden stardom from a rookie in camp.

Last edited:
Re: If there are no more moves in FA and a rookie does not start on D are you satisfi

I still think Jason Taylor is going to get his wish and get traded/released by the Dolphins. Taylor deserves to be apart of a winning team. But if there aren't any more moves in free agency and no rookies start, I would be dissapointed. Not because they didn't sign anybody but because none of their rookies are starting. I feel that the Pats intention of this years draft is to find rookies that can start from day 1. The defense desperately needs to get more athletic.

Re: If there are no more moves in FA and a rookie does not start on D are you satisfi

I think if Seau comes back for one more go and we draft a stud OLB and a couple solid young corners I'll be pretty happy.

Parcells under no circumstances will trade Taylor to the Patriots. That would be idiotic. If he trades him, a team like the Vikings would be my guess.

As for would I be satisfied. I think if we add 2 or 3 contributors in the draft, we'll be fine on defense.

The homer in me wants to say "yes", but the fan in me still sees a lot of holes on the defensive side of the ball when it comes to both depth and speed. I would want to be satisfied with the defense but the fact of the matter is we need a few more key additions before our D gets back to that elite level of '01-'04.

Warren
Wilfork
Seymour

Thomas
Bruschi
Hobson
Vrabel

Hobbs
Bryant
Meriweather
Harrison/Sanders

The D-line is set, although I'd like a true NT backup
ILB needs another backup unless Seau returns.
I'm not thrilled with Bryant as a starter but I think Meriweather will be solid

All in all, I wouldn't be thrilled with that lineup, but I would be content to see how well Hobson and Bryant work out before getting nervous. My guess is the team will bring in more corners via the draft to increase competition at that spot, and I won't be surprised to see more veteran LBs brought in after the draft and through the start of training camp to try for backup spots inside and out.

My concerns around the D are all about depth. We play 4 LBs and right now have only 4 LBs and some special teamers. That is scary at a position where injuries have hit the past 2 years.

If the draft produces both depth at LB and CB and those guys are able to fill the roles of primary back-ups in the defense as opposed to simply STers then I will still be concerned about the primary corners being able to fill those roles but content overall.

Last edited:

The other thing is there really aren't too many places to go for a big name defensive player other than the draft, which I'm confident will produce both a few contributors and depth. Nobody that we add from here on in is going to be all that exciting, with the possible exception of Lito Sheppard. But in that case I think the combination of draft pick and salary will scare the Pats away.

No.

We need depth, moves are required or else they're paper thin going into the season.

The draft is huge this season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill