PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If the refs are lax on PI calls, who gets the advantage?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which team benefits from a lack of flags?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Betterthanmost

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I have noticed the meager flags in the playoffs and I am wondering whom this will benefit in this game if PIs are not called commonly.

Pats, easily. We lost that first game in large part to 2 PI calls, one blatant and one ticky tack but even the blatant one you could say was uncatchable. The Giants go downfield more which is where more of those weak calls get made so yeah I'd say definitely the Patriots.

That said this ref did the NO vs SF game and they called a pretty weak PI on SF on the opening drive.

Based on how the rule is written: no one, based on how it's enforced: the Giants. I voted no one since the rules should be enforced as they're written and not based on what plays the NFL wants to encourage.

Bravo!

The thread title is almost in English.

We're getting there! :cool:

I'd say neither team.

On one hand it'd be the Pats as less flags would help to make up for their coverage deficiencies.

On the other hand it'd be the Giants as it'll help them cram up the middle.

It's either Pats or no one. Our less than stellar secondary is probably more likely to commit a borderline infraction. Plus, we have the coaches to notice what's happening and adjust our style of play both on O and D.

Which team will have WRs as DBs? Exactly.

The team with the weakest secondary.

The biggest misnomer is that the team with the better defense always benefits most by laxed calls by the refs. Both teams benefits from laxed calls because even a bad defense gets away with more holding and contact. If the worse defense is a defense that can be in position, they can improve a lot too if they be physical.

Last edited:
The more laxed they are with pass interference advantage Patriots. The more laxed they are with illegal contact advantage Giants. Overall I'd rather they call it somewhat tight but not ridiculous. I don't want a flag fest but I don't want Welker getting mauled 8-10 yards down the field either.

i believe we will play more zone than the giants, while they focus on man

in man coverage it is easier to commit these penalties, hence the giants db's have a greater chance of commiting them than our guys

we are an extremely fundamentally sound team, if the game was called extremely tight, with a LOT of flags, we would come out on top every time

however the last game b/w the two teams would prove the above statement wrong

I hope I barely even know if the refs are there...then they will have done their job

As stated, if there are less flags, it benefits us. Giants will go for the deep ball far more often than us, if a DB is beat he's taught to interfere if it will prevent a TD. If we can be more physical down field it will greatly help us.

The Pats by far. If nothing else, they have deep threats that if they were to get interference calls, they might be for 40 or 50 yards. With no real deep threat, most of our passes are short or intermediate, even if they got interference, it would be for 10-20 yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down